The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   What's making you happy today? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=14055)

Glinda 11-27-2018 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JackieG (Post 1019739)
I've been giddy ever since I walked up today. I'm expecting my 1TB SSD to arrive that I ordered yesterday. Got a good deal on it for Cyber Monday yesterday.

Hi Jackie, and welcome!

I'm an old lady and hopelessly non-technical. What is a 1TB SSD?

I'm also giddy about receiving an order I made recently. :)

My telephone system (landline/ answering machine) has been crapping out for some time now. The whole shebang is at least 18 years old, there is a ton of "snow" on the line, the wireless phone battery now lasts only about an hour before it needs a charge, and for the last eight months or so, I've been getting endless (fake) charity calls - least five or six a day.

My new phone system has the ability to block calls/numbers. I can't wait to set it up!

:shotgun:

Gravdigr 11-27-2018 04:50 PM

Quote:

What is a 1TB SSD?
One thick-bodied stainless steel dildo.

You're :welcome:.

:p:

Gravdigr 11-27-2018 04:52 PM

Also a one terabyte solid state drive. A hard drive with no moving parts.

Gravdigr 11-27-2018 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glinda (Post 1019759)
...I've been getting endless (fake) charity calls - least five or six a day.

This morning I received the caller ID ID'd a number as being from one of my (dead for 5-6 yrs) best friends' father. What's even worse, the father has been dead for at least 35-40 years.

I think the number was spoofed.:lol2:

Glinda 11-28-2018 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gravdigr (Post 1019786)
One thick-bodied stainless steel dildo.

You're :welcome:.

HAAA! :D

Glinda 11-28-2018 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gravdigr (Post 1019789)
This morning I received the caller ID ID'd a number as being from one of my (dead for 5-6 yrs) best friends' father. What's even worse, the father has been dead for at least 35-40 years.

I think the number was spoofed.:lol2:

A few weeks ago, I got a call from a number I didn't recognize. I picked up the phone and said "Hello?" A young man said, "Oh gramma, I'm so glad you're home. I'm in trouble and I really need your help."

"Oh, that's too bad," I said, "but I guess you're going to have to take care of your OWN shit, because I don't have any grandchildren."

*click*

Heh.

Gravdigr 11-29-2018 04:08 PM

:jig:

Glinda 12-07-2018 12:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glinda (Post 1019681)
I just finished the chapter files for another book - this one on voice/speaking disorders - with the front/back matter and references still to come. Even though there will be more files to work on before this project is completely finished, I feel like I just climbed Mt. Everest - my proofreading projects are (nearly) done!

:devil: :cheerldr: :tuba: :fumette: :beer:

DAMN, Edna. I've got another Project Manager asking for my time. In particular, she says: "It’s time sensitive and we need someone on this that can work quickly and meet deadlines."

Unfortunately, I'm awaiting the final files for another project (front/back matter, resources, etc.), so I can't really commit. So I suggested the two Project Managers work out a way that I can complete both of their projects.

BTW, this new project pays .75% mor than the one I'm already working on. The bidding war progresses . . . :D

:devil:

Griff 12-07-2018 06:13 AM

xoxoxoBruce 12-07-2018 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glinda (Post 1020281)

BTW, this new project pays .75% mor than the one I'm already working on. The bidding war progresses . . .

You're worth every penny. :notworthy

Glinda 12-07-2018 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce (Post 1020286)
You're worth every penny. :notworthy

Thanks, Bruce! I had to turn the new project down, since I'm due to receive the final files for my current book next week.

Ah well. At least word is getting around that I'm good at what I do and can be depended on to meet even the craziest deadlines. My client is a BIG global company and their editing/publishing arm puts out roughly 2000 books a year, so I think I'll have lots of work going forward. Yay!

:thumb:

Gravdigr 12-07-2018 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glinda (Post 1020281)
BTW, this new project pays .75% mor...

Three-quarters of a percent? 75 cents? 75%?

I confuse so easily.

Glinda 12-07-2018 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gravdigr (Post 1020315)

I confuse so easily.

Yeah, I'm paid by the page. Typical rate is $2 per page. The new job offer came in at $2.75/page. Super rush jobs bring $3/page.

I'm never going to get rich doing this, but it pays the bills and it's work I like. Plus, I can work in my jammies and do bong rips whenever the hell I want; I'm my own manager.

:yesnod:

BigV 12-08-2018 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gravdigr (Post 1020315)

I confuse so easily.

y'know that part where some other kid in the class is confused and courageous enough to answer the question *you* had?

this is that.

thanks Grav. :)

Gravdigr 12-09-2018 06:31 AM

*tips hat*