The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   What's making you happy today? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=14055)

Gravdigr 11-19-2014 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glatt (Post 914595)
Sorry, man. I hope things start looking up for you soon.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigV (Post 914599)
dude, you must be sick or something.

Meh.

I'll get over it, or die from it, one or the other. I'm just shitty today. It's like I been shot at and missed, and shit at and hit.

Sundae 11-19-2014 05:24 PM

Steak and a blowjob to Grav , stat.

DanaC 11-20-2014 08:53 AM

Awwww. I am so chuffed for, and proud of J :) I just got an email telling me he's been promoted to Senior Lecturer.

He's been teaching there for about 3-4 years- but first couple of years was just term to term part time tutoring alongside Phd. He's only been a junior lecturer for about 18 months. He's had a really big impact on his department - students love him, he's connected them in with some of the gaming industry led student prizes and projects.

Lovely to see his hard work paying off.

xoxoxoBruce 11-20-2014 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanaC (Post 914626)
...he's connected them in with some of the gaming industry led student prizes and projects.

Gaming industry? What's he teaching, math(s) or statistics?

DanaC 11-20-2014 02:27 PM

Right now? I actually do not know. He sort of explained it - but I didnt understand it all. Some of it is to do with coding and some of it is to do with design for computer games - where that plugs into a wider course i don't know.

xoxoxoBruce 11-20-2014 08:59 PM

Oh, OK, he teaches electronical incantations and mechanical mayhem. :haha:

DanaC 11-21-2014 03:54 AM

That's the stuff :P

Carruthers 11-26-2014 12:20 PM

I received the photo of my Dad's WW2 RN ship which I found on Ebay being offered by a US seller.

http://s1.postimg.org/mqszt6mgv/img086.png

The ship was used in the North African landings and on D-Day but Dad didn't join it until late in 1944.
The ship's landing craft are conspicuous by their absence and the colour scheme would indicate that the vessel was deployed in the Mediterranean at the time the photo was taken.
Dad's assumption is that the photo was used as an aid to identification.
Anyway, we're both happy with my purchase.

Sundae 11-26-2014 01:26 PM

How many men did she usually hold?
Apologies if you said before.

Carruthers 11-26-2014 01:43 PM

The crew numbered 523 and it could accommodate up to 1000 troops.

Here's a better shot, complete with landing craft.

http://s16.postimg.org/idp8ernl1/HMS_Glenroy.jpg

Gravdigr 11-26-2014 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sundae (Post 914986)
How many men did she usually hold?

She held anywhere from 800 to 1800 men, the whore (depending on the Glenroy's actual size, (Wiki link for Landing Ship, Infantry, there's no article specifically for the Glenroy (opportunity knocks, Carruthers;))).

Probably 1,800 troops. I see now that the list at the Wiki link lists it as Glenroy LSI(L), the final 'L' indicating large.

Carruthers 11-26-2014 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gravdigr (Post 914989)
She held anywhere from 800 to 1800 men, the whore (depending on the Glenroy's actual size, (Wiki link for Landing Ship, Infantry, there's no article specifically for the Glenroy (opportunity knocks, Carruthers;))).

Probably 1,800 troops. I see now that the list at the Wiki link lists it as Glenroy LSI(L), the final 'L' indicating large.

Thanks for that Mr.G. I just asked dad and he came up with 'a thousand'.
Memory plays tricks at his age, but near enough in the great scheme of things.

Gravdigr 11-26-2014 02:04 PM

I'd trust Dad's memory from actually being there over what some yob wrote on the interweb.

Carruthers 11-26-2014 02:16 PM

Just found a bit more:

Quote:

Our first call was Arromanches’ we dropped anchor, some distance from the French coast, we lowered the landing crafts , dispatching over 1500 troops, not knowing, but hoping they would fulfil their tasks. During the next eight days we did three more landings at different beaches, the last one deploying Americans near Cherbourg, this proved to be the end for us, as the Glenroy hit a mine. With the engine room flooded to a depth of 35 feet most of the ships crew were evacuated and we were towed by three French tugs back to Southampton, and then to dry dock for repair and re-fit in Cardiff.
I suppose that it would be standing room only, under the circumstances.

D Day from the Engine Room of HMS Glenroy

DanaC 11-26-2014 03:57 PM

That's pretty bloody amazing Carruthers!

Carruthers 11-26-2014 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanaC (Post 915013)
That's pretty bloody amazing Carruthers!

Yes, it was a stroke of great good fortune and they don't come along too often!

It's kept Dad quite happy and he was only annoyed with me once today. :)

BigV 11-28-2014 11:19 PM

what's making me happy today:

I'm home, I'm clean, the floor's been swept, the catbox's clean, the animals are all fed, I'm fed and I'm an inch away from being in bed and not much farther than that from being soundly asleep.

lumberjim 11-29-2014 02:44 PM

I just RickRolled my Warranty Rep.

BigV 12-03-2014 12:03 AM

I'M HOME!!!

It's been a bit of an ordeal.

It was cold overnight and a light dusting of snow made everything bright this morning. The roadways were dry and clear, it was so cold nothing melted. I drove to work and when I got off, I couldn't unlock my driver's door. The key wouldn't even go in the lock all the way. grrr. The other fella at work helpfully offered the use of his car's cigarette lighter, but that didn't work. I managed, at last, to unlock the hatch. When I opened it, the car's alarm sounded.

Normally, this wouldn't be more than a minor embarrassment, just turn the key in the lock in the driver's door and the alarm is silenced. Of course I can't do that or I wouldn't be clambering into my car through the hatch in the first place. The alarm goes off automatically, thankfully, mercifully after 20 or 30 minutes. jk. maybe a couple minutes? It feels like forever and I'm sure to the neighbors it feels like a long time, too. I get in the car and manage to unlock the door so I don't need to go through the hatch again. I open the unlocked door. This sets off the alarm again.

WHAT THE FUCK EVER.

I'll just drive home with the lights flashing, the hazards flashing, the horn blaring and annoy MY neighbors from the comfort of my own home. *click* VW, in their automotive wisdom, decided that if the door's compromised, then the ignition must be the last line of defense, so that's all shut down. I'm reminded a couple times about the sensitivity of the alarm to the doors opening and closing much to the annoyance of the neighborhood as I'm in and out of the car trying to get the door unlocked.

I looked in the trunk for some solution, and I found some starting fluid. No help. Now, I'd used my lock de-icer with the little straw and the graphite a couple weeks ago. It didn't work. I was worried about breaking the lock or the key or both. I called my friend for help, she was willing, but unable--no car. Damn. Then someone, a stranger, pulled up and parked directly across the street from my spectacle. "Excuse me, do you have any Grey Poupon lock de-icer?"

After some back and forth, the conclusion was no. He suggested the car repair place, you know, right there ----> I pointed to the patch on my jacket, you know, right here <---. Oh. Then he said, what about Safeway? I said, I'll buy you a six pack of beer if you give me a ride to Safeway and back! He said no sixpack was needed. So we drove the mile to the Safeway where the best I could do was a two pack of stick lighters and a can of WD-40. He looked a little worried, I said, this is Plan B. OK. The autoparts store was two more blocks away. I was disappointed when I saw the guy vacuuming the carpet inside the door, but they *were* still open. I scored the LAST tube of lock de-icer.

We drove back to my iceberg and set to work. The guy wished me luck and said "Let me give you my number; if that doesn't work, call me and I'll give you a ride home." So kind.

Well, I used the lock de-icer. I used the lighter. My lock cylinder burned like a candle. I used my Leatherman like a hammer to tap the key further into the lock (gently). The WD-40 around the cylinder and in it. I used my pliers to hold the key partway in the lock as I cooked the exposed part of the key like some demented ice junkie preparing a lock-fix. "Why, yes, officer, I do think this looks a little funny, but it's *my* car and I can explain...." As you know, it's always the last thing that works, and eventually the combination worked. I'm glad I didn't have to use that last one. I drove home windows down, doors unlocked and the passenger seat full of cans of chemicals, starting fluid, wd-40, lock de-icer, butane, whatever it takes.

My car's unlocked now. If there's anything inside, help yourself, just please don't lock it on your way out. I have to get to work in the morning.

Aliantha 12-03-2014 12:11 AM

haha...funny story V. Glad you go your car unlocked. :)

lumberjim 12-03-2014 12:20 AM

No keyless remote? What aeon is this car from?

glatt 12-03-2014 07:23 AM

I'm glad all that made you happy, BigV. Life is a lot better when you look at the bright side of things instead of the negative. Well done.

Carruthers 12-03-2014 09:53 AM

I went to the supermarket this morning for the usual weekly grocery shopping. I’m on nodding terms with one of the girls there but this morning she said ‘Good morning’ and accompanied it with a HUGE beaming smile.

Now, I’m old enough to be her dad, so I have to assume that she was smiling purely out of sympathy. Or pity.

Whatever the reason, it put a spring in this chap’s step.

Anyway, there’s always an entry on the debit side of the ledger to balance it out.

Post #5705

orthodoc 12-03-2014 08:51 PM

Some good news at work today - after putting my career on the line Monday afternoon and facing down the CEO in his den, it appears I have been heard - and a few things are set to happen. I don't have to throw up my hands and fade away after all.

xoxoxoBruce 12-04-2014 08:02 PM

The squeaky wheel. ;)

monster 12-04-2014 08:11 PM

ran my second fastest ever three miles today and the second ever under 29 minutes. my lungs are kind of pissed at me, but I think I may sleep OK tonight

Sundae 12-05-2014 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carruthers (Post 915412)
I went to the supermarket this morning for the usual weekly grocery shopping. I’m on nodding terms with one of the girls there but this morning she said ‘Good morning’ and accompanied it with a HUGE beaming smile.

Now, I’m old enough to be her dad, so I have to assume that she was smiling purely out of sympathy. Or pity.

Anyway, there’s always an entry on the debit side of the ledger to balance it out.

Post #5705

Carruthers, perhaps it's because you're always a perfect gentleman and you actually make HER day.

Carruthers 12-05-2014 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sundae (Post 915564)
Carruthers, perhaps it's because you're always a perfect gentleman and you actually make HER day.

How kind! :thumb:

Gravdigr 12-05-2014 02:45 PM

Nah.

Daddy issues.

Go for it!

Lola Bunny 12-07-2014 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carruthers (Post 915412)

Post #5705

Maybe she's being cheerful and friendly. As Sundae said, you being a gentleman and always acknowledging her with a nod made her decide to be cheerful. I usually give patients who come into the office a cheerful smile and greet them with my squeaky voice regardless of gender and age. Some are surprised and some smile.

Aliantha 12-07-2014 11:41 PM

Or maybe she just got laid and was feeling pretty good about everything. hahah

xoxoxoBruce 12-07-2014 11:48 PM

Yeah, I'll bet he's a refreshing change from the usual hoards she deals with daily. In her head she can play Emma Peel to his John Steed, or even Maid Marian to his Robin Hood... or is that Friar Tuck. :stickpoke

Always the gentleman, despite the days aggravation.

Clodfobble 12-11-2014 12:39 PM

I just scored 5th row seats to see Bo Burnham perform in March. Ridiculously excited.

orthodoc 12-13-2014 09:07 AM

Got my Board exam results, finally (I wrote the thing in October) ... I passed! 99th percentile on the Core Prev Med exam, and top score nationally on the specialty Occ Med exam. :)

Still smiling three days later.

Lamplighter 12-13-2014 09:56 AM

Now that is impressive... and/or awesome !

limey 12-13-2014 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orthodoc (Post 916294)
Got my Board exam results, finally (I wrote the thing in October) ... I passed! 99th percentile on the Core Prev Med exam, and top score nationally on the specialty Occ Med exam. :)

We knew you could do it!

xoxoxoBruce 12-13-2014 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lamplighter (Post 916297)
Now that is impressive... and/or awesome !

Yes, certainly impressive. Surprising, not so much. :headshake

orthodoc 12-13-2014 02:11 PM

Thank you very much! I was going to just say I passed, but I admit my fingers slipped. :blush: This is THE big thing I needed to accomplish, and for my own reasons, I wanted to crush the exam. The thought that came to me when I read the letter on Thursday was, This is done; now I can die.

Sounds weird, I know, and as far as I know I'm not imminently dying; it was just a sense of having completed something very, very important (to me).

DanaC 12-13-2014 02:12 PM

Well done Ortho! That is pretty fucking impressive.

xoxoxoBruce 12-13-2014 02:28 PM

Quote:

Sounds weird, I know, and as far as I know I'm not imminently dying; it was just a sense of having completed something very, very important (to me).
Watch out for the postpartum pit. ;)

classicman 12-13-2014 04:09 PM

Congrats!

glatt 12-13-2014 04:55 PM

Kick ass! Congratulations.

Lola Bunny 12-13-2014 09:51 PM

Congrats, Ortho!! :thumb2:

BigV 12-16-2014 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orthodoc (Post 916294)

OUTSTANDING!!!!!!!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce (Post 916327)
Yes, certainly impressive. Surprising, not so much. :headshake

I agree with xoB. Awesome, impressive, and UNsurprising. You are granted permission to die, but not for a loooonnnng time yet. :reaper: :)

chrisinhouston 12-18-2014 08:50 AM

Well last week we went to my wife's company Christmas party at one of the higher end hotels in Houston and since the company was picking up the valet parking I turned my Land Rover over and commented to the valet that it had a very high clearance so he should be careful where it was parked. He said he would put it in the oversize lot instead of the garage. Got it back after the party and headed home only to notice when we got there that the roof rack was damaged, my kayak supports which stick up higher were bent over and all scrapped up as if it had been forced under a garage roof.

Called the next morning and the head of the valet service said he would review the security footage. Called me back a few hours later apologizing and saying the valet had in fact tried to enter the garage and when it got stuck he even got out and climbed up on the back bumper to ascertain the damage. He sent me an email to return with info on me and the vehicle and asked for pictures. I got up on a ladder next to it and took several shots, then took them into PS to circle the areas of damage and write out on each image what the damage was.

So, last night I got an email back with a copy of a claim report to their corporate HQ, this is a large valet nationwide service. The report basically said the rack was bent and damaged badly.

Since it is a custom made roof rack I put together out of parts from several suppliers I'm wondering what the outcome will be. It isn't like I can just take it to Land Rover for repairs or get someone to fix it. I am hoping they will just cut me a check that would cover a nice new one, there are some pretty neat models made, much more like the ones used for long term off roading and safari type adventures. They run between $900 and $1300 which doesn't seem out of line for an insurance claim where a Land Rover is involved!

xoxoxoBruce 12-18-2014 12:59 PM

Yes Sir, no problem... we'll just run it by legal... you know, standard procedure.

Uh, Houston... er, we have a problem. :rolleyes:

chrisinhouston 12-19-2014 09:21 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I sent them an email yesterday explaining that my roof rack is custom made so I will need to get an estimate from a fabrication shop. They replied that this is ok. So, now to find a shop that I can explain my situation, pay them a little amount (thinking $25 or so) to do up an estimate to submit.

Since I will also get an estimate from a body shop or the LR dealer for the plastic gutter trim I'm pretty sure the valet insurance will just cut me a check for the full amount and then I can just order a new roof rack more like this:

glatt 12-19-2014 09:34 AM

I love those snorkels. When I was in Australia, you could rent Range Rovers with snorkels and I really wanted to rent one and drive it into a river. But common sense prevailed.

footfootfoot 12-19-2014 12:16 PM

Is that your wife's name?

glatt 12-19-2014 12:52 PM

Her avocation.

footfootfoot 12-20-2014 12:25 PM

:lol:

Griff 12-20-2014 12:51 PM

Watched The Natural last night and realized that was the spoof in Archer, where the girl shoots the aspiring lacrosse player Archer.... well it was funny to me.

Aliantha 12-22-2014 07:26 AM

I am doing a mad batteries (thank you auto correct - hatter) themed cake atm. I think it will be my best work yet. Very pleased with the progress. Maybe it's true about real art coming from pain. (Laughing in a way but not really)

Clodfobble 12-29-2014 05:30 PM

Would I Lie to You series 8 episode 8 is finally posted! Turns out the big delay after episode 7 was to make it a Christmas special. I can forgive that, I guess...

DanaC 12-30-2014 02:17 AM

That was an excellent episode. Ray Winston was really funny

xoxoxoBruce 12-30-2014 07:26 AM

Ahem... thesis. :rtfm:

limey 12-30-2014 07:35 AM

^WHS^

Sent by thought transference

Griff 12-30-2014 09:35 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Happy vacation!

xoxoxoBruce 12-30-2014 09:41 AM

Hey, knock it off, those smiles could melt the polar ice caps. ;)

Nirvana 12-30-2014 03:15 PM

As a way to better understand my work environment I took a 48 hr CEU course from a tech/community college and passed my final in Management and Supervision with all correct answers. Yay me! Do I provide HR with the certificate?