The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   What's making you happy today? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=14055)

monster 01-30-2009 10:44 AM

Bri's breezed back in. allegedly.

Clodfobble 01-30-2009 12:28 PM

I have perfected the art of the microwave baked potato. Even faster than a sandwich!

Sundae 01-30-2009 02:43 PM

Snow forecast! Ooooooooh!
Mum says if she wakes up to let the cat out (their cat) and it's snowed, she'll wake me up.

We'll probably get it Sunday night.
I am very snow-wary - it's always promised and rarely delivered, but I'm allowing myself to get excited this time.

classicman 01-30-2009 03:05 PM

Bri's back, It's Friday and well uhhh ummm ya see.... that's all. That's enough.

limey 01-30-2009 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clodfobble (Post 528530)
I have perfected the art of the microwave baked potato. Even faster than a sandwich!

Oh! Please share!

Clodfobble 01-30-2009 06:03 PM

For a medium potato, 4 and a half minutes on full power (don't forget to poke it full of holes,) then let it sit for another 5 minutes--the inside will continue to cook. Cut it open and dump any number of delicious things inside.

limey 01-31-2009 03:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clodfobble (Post 528699)
For a medium potato, 4 and a half minutes on full power (don't forget to poke it full of holes,) then let it sit for another 5 minutes--the inside will continue to cook. Cut it open and dump any number of delicious things inside.

Thank you!

Sundae 01-31-2009 04:11 AM

But... but... but...
The skin is all nasty and soft!

I'll stick to the long slow cooking, thanks.

Chocolatl 01-31-2009 08:58 AM

I have to spend the weekend creating a lesson unit for my freshmen (which really should be in the "What's mildly irritating you today?") but what's making me happy is that the unit is centered on media. As a kid I wanted to work as a cinematographer, so it makes me happy that I can use what little knowledge I have for a good use. All of the other teachers in the department are a little freaked out by this unit because they feel they don't know much about film.

The main film we've been asked to use is Edward Scissorhands, and as a Tim Burton/Johnny Depp fangirl this is very helpful because I already have a book with storyboards for The Nightmare Before Christmas, the soundtracks for Edward and Nightmare, and a handful of movies that I plan to use for demonstrating shots/camera angles (namely Big Fish and Pirates of the Caribbean).

I think this is going to be a really awesome unit if I can just convince the kids to get on board.

Shawnee123 01-31-2009 09:01 AM

How awesome Chocolatl. I am a huge Depp fan: without saying a word he nailed Edward Scissorhands.

What a great teacher you must be. :)

On a side note: have you seen Ed Wood?

Chocolatl 01-31-2009 09:07 AM

Keep your fingers crossed that my students think it's great, too! The classes I'm teaching it to are all sophomores and juniors that failed freshman English and are repeating the class so that they can graduate. One would think it might mean higher motivation, and for a handful it does, but the grand majority of them feel that if it wasn't interesting for them the first time around it sure as hell isn't gonna capture their imaginations this time around. They've never had a media unit before, though, so I'm hoping I can grab them by working in recent movies.

I've seen the first half of Ed Wood, but for whatever reason I didn't have the chance to see it all the way through and don't remember much of it except for something about an angora sweater.

It's on my list of movies to see, when I have time in my next life. ;-)

Shawnee123 01-31-2009 09:10 AM

It's one of my favorite movies.

Good luck. I bet you grab a lot of them. :)

limey 01-31-2009 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sundae Girl (Post 528864)
But... but... but...
The skin is all nasty and soft!

I'll stick to the long slow cooking, thanks.

[threaddrift]Thanks for the warning! I read somewhere that if you cooked it (baked potato in a microwave) wrapped in kitchen paper the skin'd be crispy? Does anyone know?[/threaddrift]

Shawnee123 01-31-2009 10:25 AM

I do like a nice baked potato from the oven...but a quick microwave potato will do.

I eat the skin...so many people I know leave it. It's the best part!

Clodfobble 01-31-2009 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by limey
I read somewhere that if you cooked it (baked potato in a microwave) wrapped in kitchen paper the skin'd be crispy? Does anyone know?

I wrap mine in a paper towel, and the skin is dry but admittedly not crispy.

TheMercenary 01-31-2009 11:36 AM

yea, we just wrap ours in paper towels to prevent them from making a mess in the microwave. Our prefered method, and what we did last night, is to cook them wrapped in foil in the outdoor fireplace.

Sundae 01-31-2009 11:59 AM

See, ideally I bake mine for 1.5 HOURS!
I like to scoop all the potato out, butter it if I'm not worried about my weight, vinegar it if I am.

Then I eat the empty "shell boats" at the end with ketchup or BBQ sauce.[smackslips]

Shawnee123 01-31-2009 12:06 PM

Bake, butter, shredded cheddar. So good. So bad. ;)

limey 01-31-2009 12:41 PM

#3318 & #3319 is where it's at, folks!
:yum:

BigV 02-01-2009 08:52 PM

I have a new profile pic. Thanks jinx for the suggestion.

skysidhe 02-01-2009 09:29 PM

address is approximate!

I got all excited expecting to see a cute BigV pic and all I see is an old google map thing with some guy that MIGHT be Big V...but then it could be the neighbor or the pizza delivery guy.:neutral: prolly

BigV 02-01-2009 09:58 PM

It's me.

I'm famous. I'm on Google Maps Street View in front of my house!

HungLikeJesus 02-04-2009 01:19 PM

It's supposed to be close to 70° in Denver the next two days.

Sundae 02-04-2009 01:26 PM

Ha! Opposite for me (well, not quite)
We're due more snow tomorrow!
I'm not as excited as last time - after all they said heavy and it was barely over my boot tips. This time they haven't said heavy so it's going to be a light sprinkling, like the talcum powder I get on the bathroom mat.

Still, tomorrow I finally get some moey through.
Wooohoooo!
Wayhay!
It means if I get a call to say they have a vacancy for me for counselling I can afford to go (only £10 a session, but up until today I had £0 and 0p, which didn't help).

And I'm going to get a proper pair of scales so Mum & I can start our Weight Loss Challenge. Even if we'll have to put it back til Monday now - we have meal plans and food shop to get sorted before we actually start.

This evening is just a happy one is all!

binky 02-04-2009 08:39 PM

I got my tax return finished!!!

Pie 02-04-2009 08:51 PM

Damn. I'm still waiting for my husband's w2! And the 1099s.

binky 02-04-2009 11:23 PM

Sry pie, just got the last of ours yesterday.

Sundae 02-05-2009 06:29 AM

Snow, snow, snow-snow-snow!
Yay!

And snow.
Will post pics in Aylesbury thread.

DanaC 02-05-2009 06:36 AM

Buggering snow again....sorry....there are aspects of it that are very pleasing, but I am starting to panic a little about my presentation on monday...

I'm hoping the trains are running into Leeds tomorrow.

Pie 02-05-2009 08:00 AM

Bentyl makes my aching guts feel better.

LabRat 02-05-2009 10:10 AM

It's been almost 3 weeks since I last ran because I hurt my knee*. Today it gave me no trouble after hitting the treadmill, so since the local weather is supposed to be in the 40's for the next few days, I should be able to do the next few runs outside. Yessssss!!!

*One of Red's good friends bought a bar, and while partying there after hours, his wife and I decided to see if we could jump up onto and straddle the end of the bar. While successful multiple times, I did end up paying a price once I sobered up. I really should have taken pics for the bruise thread...

SteveDallas 02-05-2009 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LabRat (Post 530863)

*One of Red's good friends bought a bar, and while partying there after hours, his wife and I decided to see if we could jump up onto and straddle the end of the bar. While successful multiple times, I did end up paying a price once I sobered up. I really should have taken pics for the drunk women straddling things thread...

Fixed it for you.

Shawnee123 02-05-2009 12:27 PM

Hearing from my best friend via email...like she knew I am down and checked on me.

footfootfoot 02-05-2009 12:31 PM

So, you're not crafty?

She's crafty - she's always down

DanaC 02-05-2009 03:58 PM

Debit card + student loan + dominoes = a portion of 3 Cheese and Onion Loaded Potato Skins
+ a portion of Chicken Strippers (7) and Potato Wedges. Served with 3 dips: Sweet Chilli, BBQ and Honey & Mustard.
+ 2 baked Belgian Waffles with a sprinkling of sugar. Served with 2 dips: Chocolate & Toffee.

This is making me happy.

DucksNuts 02-05-2009 08:09 PM

I gots a new job and I start on Monday :)

monster 02-05-2009 08:41 PM

congrats! :D Is it an important one?....

Quote:

Originally Posted by monster (Post 517113)

Radar, Sundae Girl, Undertoad, Ducksnuts and three others will get an important new job

Shawnee123 02-06-2009 07:26 AM

I'm getting a new haircut tomorrow. It's the little things...:)

Sundae 02-06-2009 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanaC (Post 530951)
Debit card + student loan + dominoes = a portion of 3 Cheese and Onion Loaded Potato Skins + a portion of Chicken Strippers (7) and Potato Wedges. Served with 3 dips: Sweet Chilli, BBQ and Honey & Mustard..

Oh my word, I LOVE Dominos Chicken Strippers. They're the goujon ones, right? Not keen on the wedges. They give me part-baked potato fear (discussed somewhere around here)
Quote:

Originally Posted by DucksNuts (Post 530982)
I gots a new job and I start on Monday :)

Yay, you!
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shawnee123 (Post 531127)
I'm getting a new haircut tomorrow. It's the little things...:)

I know, I know. I got my benefit today and am so made up. And that is a little thing I can tell you!
I need a new haircut but reckon I can wait 2 weeks.
I might dye it though.

Sorry I wasn't the person to contact you and make you feel better!

busterb 02-06-2009 11:35 AM

Great sex last night.

Too bad no one was around to share . :bolt:

Shawnee123 02-06-2009 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sundae Girl (Post 531143)
~snip~I know, I know. I got my benefit today and am so made up. And that is a little thing I can tell you!
I need a new haircut but reckon I can wait 2 weeks.
I might dye it though.

Sorry I wasn't the person to contact you and make you feel better!

Thanks...you're sweet!

I wait too long to get my hair cut until I am ready to shave my head. So, I'm excited.

Out of the blue, I got an email today from another buddy from my old job. The one from the other day is still stuck there, but this buddy moved on. Nice to hear from both of them.

Do you ever wish you could have a giant party and all the really cool people you know, whether physically IRL or "this" IRL could meet and everyone could see how awesome everyone else is? Oh, that's just me? :)

LabRat 02-06-2009 03:57 PM

::long relaxing stretch::

Ahhhh. The brutal first outdoor run of the year. Feel the burn, baby. Feel it!! Oh Yeah!

Cicero 02-06-2009 05:32 PM

MMMM..........Just in a good mood today. ;)

Chocolatl 02-06-2009 05:34 PM

I'm happy because I got to see Coraline on opening day! Due to a mix-up I ended up seeing it in 2D instead of 3D, but I may go watch it in 3D tomorrow.

zippyt 02-06-2009 05:54 PM

I had a good day at work to day .
My Boss and I installed 2 Big floor scales in a steel processing plant .
Our contact is a Young enthuastic friendly guy .
while my boss was chatting with him at the scales , i was busy unpacking the scales , all the sudden I hear " Well HI Chris !!"
I look up and there is a friend that used to work in a different plant ( it shut down and he moved , etc,,, ) I noticed that our contact was looking twitchey , I asked my friend what he was doing here , turns out he is the Operations Mngr ( Our contacts boss ) , I introduced him to my boss who rembered him from the other plant , My friend told our contact to Help us out in ANY way and that he had made a Good choice of scale companys ! After he walked away Our contact settled down and said " Ill get the Maint cheif for you ." so My boss and I went on about our job , Our contact walks back with Another dude I know from still another plant , warm greetings and introductions All around , a bit of small talk , I tell Maint dude what we need from them , and not 5 minets later there are 3 maint guys running conduit for us .
It takes 8 solid hrs to install these two scales , every thing goes well .
It was a Busy and productive day :D

xoxoxoBruce 02-07-2009 05:19 AM

Zip, you're a smooooth operator. :thumb:

fargon 02-07-2009 01:13 PM

I got a new mouse today.

Sundae 02-07-2009 01:24 PM

Hope you got a trap!

fargon 02-07-2009 01:30 PM

It's a tame mouse, I may need a cat to keep it on the desk.

DucksNuts 02-07-2009 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monster (Post 530994)
congrats! :D Is it an important one?....

Thanks...its not that important, but who knows where it will lead. :)

monster 02-07-2009 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fargon (Post 531621)
It's a tame mouse, I may need a cat to keep it on the desk.

you need a little pussy?

Griff 02-08-2009 06:24 AM

I won one of my epee pools yesterday! My legs are coming around and I'm starting to take some of these youngsters down with speed. Hmm... maybe resveritrol is all that.

DanaC 02-08-2009 06:25 AM

nice goin Griff!

Sundae 02-08-2009 06:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Griff (Post 531873)
I won one of my epee pools yesterday! My legs are coming around and I'm starting to take some of these youngsters down with speed. Hmm... maybe resveritrol is all that.

I barely understand this post. I assume it's about fencing though. In which case, you go Griff!

I am happy today because of love.
There are lovely people in this world, and they do things out of kindness and trust.
And that is a wonderful thing.

Griff 02-08-2009 06:37 AM

Thanks Great Britain!

[TMI]epee- fencing weapon
resveratrol- supplement (found naturally in wine/grapes) that apparently helps the mitochondria provide energy more efficiently. According to Mens Health the molecular biology folks are very close to producing a synthetic version 1000x more effective to reduce the effects of aging.[/TMI]

morethanpretty 02-08-2009 07:45 AM

English homework for Tues, done! Mostly.
Only studing for trig is REALLY needed.

monster 02-08-2009 08:52 PM

Just booked a night at the Great Wolf Lodge in Ohio :D

BigV 02-09-2009 12:01 AM

RCRG!

Shawnee123 02-09-2009 11:40 AM

HI Spexx. ;)

Tiki 02-09-2009 12:59 PM

Today I'm happy because I got through yesterday with very little crying and no breaking down at all, and I woke up today feeling pretty much OK.