The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   What's making you happy today? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=14055)

BigV 05-10-2018 09:53 PM

I wish you the best of luck, my friend!

DanaC 05-11-2018 08:23 AM

Thank you :)

Carruthers 05-15-2018 07:04 AM

For the last couple of weeks my 1992 VW Passat has been less than cooperative when I need to select second gear.
All manner of 'discouraging words' have been heard on such occasions.
I asked a mate, who is a mechanic and does all my repairs and servicing, to have a look.
He needed to go and collect a car for his next job so drove mine there to get an idea of the problem.
On return he removed the moulding around the gear lever and spotted a circlip which had removed itself from a spindle resulting in excessive lateral play.
A quick reinstatement of the clip and all is well!

limey 05-15-2018 07:29 AM

Nothing nastier than excessive lateral play! Lovely quick and cheap fix, though!

Carruthers 05-15-2018 07:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by limey (Post 1008488)
Nothing nastier than excessive lateral play!

'It wobbled about a bit' doesn't really have the same gravitas! ;)

Edit:

Quote:

Lovely quick and cheap fix, though!
That's the best bit. It didn't cost me a brass farthing!

xoxoxoBruce 05-15-2018 08:37 AM

Payback for Normandy, Battle of Britain, etc.

Carruthers 05-15-2018 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce (Post 1008490)
Payback for Normandy, Battle of Britain, etc.

:):):)

Considering its age, the car isn't doing too badly, although when something minor is amiss I do wonder if it's a precursor to a catastrophic failure.
If today's problem had been say, a major gearbox or clutch problem, I'd have had to give serious consideration to replacing the vehicle.
It's only done 71,000 miles so, in terms of its age, that's nothing.
Given that I do one grocery shopping trip a week, and the usual litany of hospital and Doc's appointments for Dad, it is only chalking up a total of about a thousand miles a year.
That's why I'm attempting to keep it going. There's no point in shelling out vast sums of money for a new, or newish, car and watching it depreciate by the day on the drive.
Anticipating the worst for this morning, I had a look at the VW website last night and prices for the current version of the Passat Estate are well north of £20,000!* :eek:
That's not a road I wish to drive down if it can be avoided.

*$27,000

Glinda 05-15-2018 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carruthers (Post 1008489)
'It wobbled about a bit' doesn't really have the same gravitas! ;)

[aside]

Years ago, a friend of mine in Seattle encountered a chair on the curb near his apartment. The chair had a sign on it: "Take me. I wobble."

My friend took the sign (but not the chair) and displayed it on the front of his refrigerator.

I think of that "Take me. I wobble." sign often. I should wear it on my back at all times.

:D

[/aside]

monster 05-16-2018 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monster (Post 1008180)
You should launch an a peel, so everyone can keep an eye out. Want me to mash something together?

I posted it on youtuber but it went viral so now there's famine in Ireland......

nowhereman 05-17-2018 07:16 AM

Printing , matting and framing photographs for a group exhibition. I belong to the New England Large Format Photography Collective and we are having our first museum exhibit in June. It's a big deal for us, having had gallery shows previously but nothing on this scale. The nuseum is even using one of my images for their "Upcoming Exhibitions" web page. I'm so chuffed.

limey 05-17-2018 08:11 AM

oh hai nowhereman! Where ya been?

xoxoxoBruce 05-17-2018 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nowhereman (Post 1008609)
Printing , matting and framing photographs for a group exhibition. I belong to the New England Large Format Photography Collective and we are having our first museum exhibit in June. It's a big deal for us, having had gallery shows previously but nothing on this scale. The nuseum is even using one of my images for their "Upcoming Exhibitions" web page. I'm so chuffed.

Is that at Lyman Allyn?

monster 05-17-2018 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nowhereman (Post 1008609)

Congratulations! Please link to the page when it's up, if you don't mind sharing that with us, I'd love to see.

Gravdigr 05-17-2018 09:21 PM

Dittoes.

Griff 05-18-2018 07:25 AM

1 Attachment(s)
It's Lil' Griff's GraduBirthday weekend! Now I am old. Was given a senior coffee at McD's this week... should I be pleased about the savings?