The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   What's making you happy today? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=14055)

BigV 08-30-2013 03:44 PM

being grown up is massively overrated. being a good daughter is priceless, and I tell you that as the proud and blessed parent of one. good on you.

Clodfobble 08-30-2013 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by infinite monkey
i don't know why i'm finally telling this, after all this time. i guess with at least a reprieve i can finally 'say' it.

I'm glad you said it. You and your mom will be in our thoughts.

infinite monkey 08-30-2013 06:38 PM

Thanks you all.

really, i'm just in the right spot to do this. It isn't that much...we just do the best we can do, right? I feel like i've belittled the situation just talking about it. I really only have a couple friends i let loose too. I guess i'm realizing we're all trying to do the best we can.

i was blessed with great parents and believe me, i've been th most trouble of us 3 kids. but there was never a question about being loved.

life is damn hard and beautiful. Conundrum. :)

Chocolatl 08-30-2013 06:56 PM

Hugs your way, infi.

orthodoc 08-30-2013 07:01 PM

Thinking of you and your family, Infi.

orthodoc 08-30-2013 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glatt (Post 874634)
Sounds good, Ortho. We should try to meet up when you are here!

Is OSHA HQ in downtown DC, or somewhere else?

OSHA HQ is in the Department of Labor building right by the Capitol. Do you work in downtown DC? We should definitely try to meet up!

glatt 08-30-2013 07:13 PM

Yep. Downtown by the convention center. Let's meet for lunch some time. My schedule is pretty flexible so I can hop on the Metro to meet you.

orthodoc 08-30-2013 07:31 PM

Sounds good. I'll pm you once I get my schedule.

Nirvana 08-30-2013 09:19 PM

I wish my {{{{{hug}}}}}} was in person Infi.

Sundae 08-31-2013 05:01 AM

I'm so pleased it's good news for your Ma.
Much love to you and your family.

Posting about your Mum potentially facing death on an internet forum probably would belittle the situation. The internet is transitory and cancer and its ramifications are incredibly complex.

But you didn't just post on an internet forum.
You came here.
We are family. Like us or loathe us or anything in between, most of us have a sincere emotional conection. And cancer is something many of us have been touched by. My Mum got off easy in comparison, but some of her friends did not.
There are Dwellars that wish they could have the disease instead of the ones they love, and those who are slogging through it and just worrying about how it affects those who love them. No-one can ever live another person's life, but our combined experience comes close to understanding.

You are doing the best you can. And from one black sheep to another we always worry about how much we have to make up for. I'm slowly learning that "being normal" isn't the be all and end all. Sometimes being there without other commitments turns out to be a good thing.

We have so much thrown at us in the media about what a fulfilled life is, what success is, what a good life looks like. I'm glad for those who meet that ideal.
But there is a place for those of us in the minority. We just don't see it in adverts, in sitcoms, in magazines.

We're strange and we're beautiful.

Chin up Infi.
You're coping.

Clodfobble 09-05-2013 06:26 PM

You know those things people do, "click on this to help me win" whatever, and no one you know ever actually wins?

I actually know a woman who won. Her son has an obsession with planes, and some folks (not me, admittedly, because I don't do Facebook) helped her family win 4 plane tickets to Europe on Lufthansa. They do some more plane-related stuff when they get there, I don't know. But she actually won the damn thing.

orthodoc 09-05-2013 06:38 PM

I had a similar experience earlier this year, where a woman who has end-stage metastatic breast cancer asked people who follow her blog to vote for it in a contest. She planned to put the prize money, if she won, in her son's college fund. He has another year of high school. I've never voted for things like that, but I voted for her every day. So did quite a few others, apparently, because she won the contest on Valentine's Day.

BigV 09-05-2013 07:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
today's happiness is brought to you by the concept of recursion.

Attachment 45388

I get happy when I see orthodoc's name as the most recent poster in the what's making me happy thread.

Aliantha 09-09-2013 06:52 AM

Aden now has a license and a car. That means a lot less driving for me and a lot more opportunities for him. He passed his test with flying colours. 100%! I was very pleased for him. :)

lumberjim 09-09-2013 07:09 AM

Cowboys win.