The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   What's making you happy today? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=14055)

Sundae 11-13-2011 02:29 PM

Finished another shift at work.
Still concerned that I am doing everything wrong, but no-one seems to have the time to tell me that.
It's also been confirmed that if I have signed up for any extra shifts I can have them.
Some of the ones I wanted had already gone (those this month, sadly) but I have at least two extra which will pay out before I go to Glasgow.
So that's all YAY!

Got a name badge and a full uniform too, so I no longer have to wear my decent school trousers on the floor. And the work ones have a pocket, which is very helpful - I don't need one in class as I have everything I need close to hand, but on the tills you're not close to anything useful. Well, being a retail chemist you are close to lots of useful things, but you'd get the sack if you helped yourself!

In a far more emotional vein...
Funeral tomorrow.
I hope you will understand when I say I am looking forward to it.
It's a family event for a start. I feel good when we pull together.
Mum will need me and won't bitch - pretty much everything I do will be appreciated and remembered fondly. And the bottom line is I will actually BE a help, not a hindrance.

And it will be the end of this chapter. We can settle down and acknowledge the gap Grandad leaves in our lives. We devoted many hours in caring for him and this interim period has been hectic.

Clodfobble 11-13-2011 05:02 PM

My aunt by marriage is originally from Iran. A few years ago she brought her aging mother, who speaks only Farsi, over to the US to live with them. Recently she received a recommendation from a colleague for a gerontologist who actually speaks Farsi, which was huge for them because her mother has a number of medical issues, including Alzheimer's, and it has been difficult for my aunt to constantly translate her ramblings and get her the help she needs. So she took her to this new doctor, who evaluated her for over an hour.

The first thing the doctor tells my aunt is that her mother most definitely does not have Alzheimer's. She has a severe urinary tract infection.

I'm sorry, what?

Apparently, it is a known problem among the elderly, and elderly women in particular, that long-term untreated urinary tract or kidney infections can lead to dementia. But the type of dementia shows key differences from Alzheimer's, which a standard practitioner probably wouldn't know how to look for, let alone in a different language. This gerontologist was able to see the difference, ran the urine test in-office, and had the results before the appointment was over.

My aunt reports that after two days on the antibiotics, her mother is noticeably more clear-headed already. Very happy all around!

Aliantha 11-13-2011 05:14 PM

Wow, that's awesome, and scary at the same time really.

BigV 11-14-2011 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Santa's Little Helper, Texas Sector
SECRET SANTA!
Your secret santa recipient is:

(**************************)

I'm stoked!!

infinite monkey 11-15-2011 07:59 AM

Friends who are friends even when I don't really deserve the friendship.

They keep me alive. :)

Sundae 11-15-2011 10:17 AM

How could you not deserve it?

Funeral yesterday went as well as it possibly could.
No weeping and wailing, a dignified send off all done in a very proper way.
The afternoon and evening were restrained, but did feel in a way like a celebration of his life, rather than po-faced mourning.

We had a party for Grandad's 80th and said a lot of the things we wanted to then. We felt it was important to say them in his hearing, while he was alive and well, rather than wait until after he died. So last night felt a bit like his 80th all over again, except that this time he wasn't here shaking his head over all the people who wanted to praise him, and marvelling at the amount of food and drink.

Less people this time round, that's what happens when you get to 88.
But his neices and nephews made a good showing in respect of his siblings, also some people from church as well as Mum's friends.

Theresa from Church came. She speaks in broken and heavily accented English despite moving here from Italy 50-odd years ago. Once again she had a good laugh at the fact that my Mamma has one BIG-a girl, and one LITTLE girl! Ha ha ha! Because she has one GREATBIG-a son and the udda, he's-a really SKINNY! Hahahaha! Accompanied by hand movements to show just how enormous one of her sons is.

I wouldn't mind, but we went through this last year when we met her in the street.
At least she didn't poke my flesh this time. Cheeky old mare. I got my revenge by doing an impression of her in the kitchen after she left. This cracked my BIL up so much he demanded I repeat it again later, after a few sherberts. He will probably amuse other people with the anecdote for a while now. Not so much what she said, although that tickled him, but by my spirited impression of her.

Spreading a little joy every day...

limey 11-15-2011 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sundae (Post 773000)
How could you not deserve it?

Funeral yesterday went as well as it possibly could.
No weeping and wailing, a dignified send off all done in a very proper way.
The afternoon and evening were restrained, but did feel in a way like a celebration of his life, rather than po-faced mourning.

We had a party for Grandad's 80th and said a lot of the things we wanted to then. We felt it was important to say them in his hearing, while he was alive and well, rather than wait until after he died. So last night felt a bit like his 80th all over again, except that this time he wasn't here shaking his head over all the people who wanted to praise him, and marvelling at the amount of food and drink.

Less people this time round, that's what happens when you get to 88.
But his neices and nephews made a good showing in respect of his siblings, also some people from church as well as Mum's friends.

... Cheeky old mare. I got my revenge by doing an impression of her in the kitchen after she left. This cracked my BIL up so much he demanded I repeat it again later, after a few sherberts. He will probably amuse other people with the anecdote for a while now. Not so much what she said, although that tickled him, but by my spirited impression of her.

Spreading a little joy every day...

All good, all good. Now you can get on and grieve, Sundae. Or maybe it's all done now? I find my grieving comes out in bits and pieces ... it's never done with, really. Sorry, I know this is the happy thread, so I'll just say the dead never leave you, really, and that is good and comforting (for me, anyways).

Cotillion 11-15-2011 11:02 AM

Having the kind of job where I can go have a nap for an hour and spend the rest of the day reading the newspapers, drinking coffee and watching funny videos on Youtube.

infinite monkey 11-15-2011 11:03 AM

You work for GM? :eek:

Cotillion 11-15-2011 11:10 AM

What's a GM?

That's obviously a "no". I just happen to be very good at picking employers. Maximum outcome for minimal effort is one of my many mottos. And I have currently reached a level where I can get away with doing about, oh, two hours of work a day? Maybe half an hour, if it is a very good day, probably closer to four on a bad one, but I get much more of the former than the latter.

Other benefits include minimal oversight, as I only normally see my boss about once a week. Oh, and free coffee, because I'm just special like that.

limey 11-15-2011 11:31 AM

Cotillion works in the insurance business, as a broker, is my guess ...

Cotillion 11-15-2011 11:32 AM

Alas, no.

However, guessing my career could be a fun game. I could describe an average day, in terms not too obvious to give it away, and see what people come up with.

limey 11-15-2011 11:35 AM

Start a thread, Cotillion, start a thread.
Meanwhile, back to your regular scheduled programming - What's making me happy? Phlthy's good news! :)

Sundae 11-15-2011 02:33 PM

I went into a trance.
I heard an American voice.
It might even have been the voice of American ancestors.

All I know is it was light and funny.
It was all I hoped for.
And I adored it.

Oh yeah, and I talked to Infi :)

infinite monkey 11-15-2011 02:38 PM

Hahahahaha.

I'm a freak about phones. Nervous Nellie. I don't know why...but it took me years to be able to talk to the speaker in a drive-thru so it must be related to speakers! :lol:

It was fun talking to you Sundae. :)