The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Parenting (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   My Kid is a Damn Nutter (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=18924)

Clodfobble 04-22-2016 08:45 PM

Yeah, the thing about the 1 in 45 number is the very DAY after I did that interview, the CDC announced that while this is one of their typical benchmark studies for their "official" numbers, they are waiting until the other benchmark studies come out with their latest numbers later this year, before deciding on a new average. So officially it's still 1 in 68 according to the CDC, but that will change in the late fall, I imagine.

lumberjim 04-22-2016 11:04 PM

Do they have the same stats for non immunized kids?

Clodfobble 04-24-2016 03:10 AM

Congress ordered the CDC to gather those stats in the late nineties, if I have my dates right. The CDC ignored them, claiming that by definition any study that required non-immunized kids, even volunteers, was unethical.

Jenny McCarthy's nonprofit did the study, 100,000 random surveys by phone, found the rate was much lower in non-immunized and much higher in partially-immunized (presumably because in cases where there's an obvious regression parents stop,) but no one listens to her anymore.

Clodfobble 04-24-2016 03:12 AM

It should be noted, however, that the stats for non-immunized kids are not zero.

xoxoxoBruce 04-24-2016 03:18 AM

What age is the oldest you've heard of for symptoms to appear? Or does that get twisted by parents in denial until somebody in the school system runs up a flag?

Clodfobble 04-24-2016 03:44 AM

I've heard of major developmental regressions as late as three-and-a-half. Diagnoses any later than that are usually either "there's nothing wrong with a nonverbal 5 year old" denial, or "he's always been a little different, but we didn't know what it was" at like 12 or 13 or even adulthood for high-functioning kids. I've seen/heard of sudden extreme onset of PANDAS at a variety of ages though, as late as maybe 15.

DanaC 04-26-2016 04:03 AM

Saw this in the Guardian and thought it might be of interest:

Quote:

Asda is introducing a “quiet hour” at a Manchester store to help autistic and disabled shoppers.

The Asda Living store in Cheetham Hill is pioneering a disability-friendly hour for people who feel intimidated or stressed by noise and disturbance.

The store will open an hour early without electronic distractions such as escalators, music and display TVs, and the public address system will not be used for announcements.
http://www.theguardian.com/business/...istic-shoppers

Neat idea?

Clodfobble 04-26-2016 05:50 AM

Could be very helpful for people who need it. Although I predict it will be the elderly who take advantage of it the most.

Clodfobble 07-01-2016 04:40 PM

I'm worn out and trying to force myself to look at the positive things in life today, so excuse me while I gratuitously pat myself on the back for a moment. It's okay, see, because I've been instructed to.

Quote:

“A MUST READ for 2016! Whether or not you have an autistic child, brother, cousin, whatever… this IS a book you want to get your hands on.”
Quote:

“There are many unexpected and perfect small moments. This is a writer in command of her story and her prose, and I’d be happy to read her writing on any subject under the sun.”
Quote:

“The storytelling is amazing, and it’s well worth a read whether this is part of your experience or not.”
Quote:

“You need to understand that when I marvel at the skill with which ‘No Map to this Country’ engages the reader, draws him into the story, and maintains breathtaking suspense until the very end, all the while effortlessly educating that reader in complex medical discoveries and controversies, this is not the reaction of an easy mark. I am a harsh critic with high standards. If you log onto the back issues of the weekly where I once toiled as a reviewer and type in my name, the first thing to come up will be the letters to the editor written by readers offended by my unflattering evaluations… So when I say that this memoir by first-time author Jennifer Noonan is a dazzling accomplishment, you should understand that I am not blowing smoke.”
Now back to your regularly-scheduled, self-deprecating, unable-to-take-a-compliment Clodfobble.

xoxoxoBruce 07-01-2016 04:46 PM

It's nice to see critics that know what the fuck they're talking about. :thumb:

Griff 07-01-2016 05:22 PM

:D

fargon 07-01-2016 06:58 PM

Congratulations Clodfobble.

xoxoxoBruce 07-01-2016 07:10 PM

I forgot to mention it's in 3 more libraries.

Clodfobble 07-01-2016 07:13 PM

Dude! Thanks so much. :)

lumberjim 07-01-2016 09:48 PM

Clobble, you have always given me an intellectual boner. It's been more than 4 hours. I need medical assistance.