The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   What's making you happy today? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=14055)

Aliantha 08-13-2013 05:09 AM

Griff...are you making movies at your place or what??? lol That's just so lovely I'm having trouble believing it!

Griff 08-13-2013 05:50 AM

I know, right. I wish somebody filmed that. To be realistic he spends a lot of time returning frisbees and balls but I prefer to think he is this smart and sweet.

Clodfobble 08-13-2013 01:20 PM

Whoever it was on here who got me addicted to the show "Community" (I think it was DanaC, but I can't be sure)... thank you, thank you, thank you. You have provided several evenings of happiness, with the promise of more to come.

Sundae 08-16-2013 02:40 PM

I posted in the Irritated thread a few weeks back, about the frustration encountered in trying to get hold of benefits for Dad.

Quote:

Of course if it does go through it could mean an extra £200 per month for them. Talk about worthwhile. It's what he will receive as opposed to Mum getting a carer's allowance, because she is retired. Given the amount of hospital appointments she has to get him to, and the amount of tablets she has to sort and get him to take, AND all the taxis because he gets confused by the new bus schedule, it is a little extra jam for their bread, but it is deserved. If he didn't have Mum it would cost the State a heck of a lot more.
They got the letter through today, as well as the first payment, backdated for two weeks.
He's going to get £79.15 a week.
Over £4k extra a year.
It was well worth it.

Mum is made up, gave me a big kiss and thanked me.
Dad told Mum that the money was in the bank when he checked their account this morning, but he didn't know what it was so he didn't say anything. He thanked me when specifically prompted.
I'm not offended, it just shows more clearly than anything how he deals with unexpected occurrences by simply accepting them as part of life.

So I'm very very happy I made the effort.

BigV 08-16-2013 03:23 PM

Well done, Sundae. You are a good daughter.

DanaC 08-16-2013 06:05 PM

Yey, way to go Sundae:)

Glad Sundae-Papa and Sundae-Mama are getting the extra. They deserve it. They've paid their whole lives for it, and the state is getting a bargain deal with it.

@ clodfobble: I think I may have been partially responsible for that Community addiction ... I did evangelize the show on here whilst at the height of my own addiction:p

It is teh awsum.

I have a little happy to share:

Audible recently (the past year I think) started allowing returns/refunds on books if members decide they don't like them or chose the wrong book or whatever.

After so enjoying Peter F Hamilton's epic space opera (Pandora's Star -Judas Unchained- The Void Trilogy) I was looking for something with a similar hit, and happened across one that sounded quite good, and with the same narrator as Hamilton's. yey! Got the first one....tried to get into it, but just couldn't. Didn't click. Characters seemed two dimensional and 4 hours into the 30 hour book I decided enough was enough.

When I tried to return it it came up as 'eligible' in my orders but instead of taking me to the refund screen I got a popup telling me to 'Let us help you find a new book: call our customer support team on xxxx'

I thought: shit...I've done this returns thing too much and they've withdrawn the service...

So, I called the number and spoke to an advisor, told him what had come up on screen. He said not to worry he'd sort out the return and credit my account with a book credit, then asked why I'd decided to return it. So I told him all about the previous book I'd really enjoyed and how this had the same narrator, and that I'd given it almost 4 hours and just wasn't enjoying it at all. In fact, I'd realised at one point that I was practically treating it as a chore, going and listening to half an hour in the hope it wold eventually start to draw me in.

He commiserated with me on my experience and apologised (not that this was audible's fault lol) and then said he wold credit my account with two book credits!

Awesome. very glad I phoned :)

glatt 08-16-2013 06:47 PM

Sundae, that's fantastic. Good job.

V, I'm glad you got the help you needed.

BigV 08-16-2013 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glatt (Post 873593)
Sundae, that's fantastic. Good job.

V, I'm glad you got the help you needed.

um. thanks?

what are you talking about man?

Clodfobble 08-16-2013 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanaC
After so enjoying Peter F Hamilton's epic space opera (Pandora's Star -Judas Unchained- The Void Trilogy) I was looking for something with a similar hit, and happened across one that sounded quite good, and with the same narrator as Hamilton's.

Audible also has Peter F. Hamilton's "Greg Mandel" series, set in the same universe as the others but many generations earlier, as society is just discovering/fine-tuning the rejuvenation and wormhole technologies that are used in the Pandora's Star books. I don't know who narrated the others, but his Greg Mandel series is narrated by Toby Longworth and he's fantastic.

chrisinhouston 08-18-2013 11:25 AM

Just got an update from Amazon that my Google Chromecast has shipped after a 3 1/2 week delay and will arrive on Wednesday as long as the UPS plane doesn't crash.

limegreenc 08-18-2013 09:22 PM

Someone has offered to do the genealogy for my dad's family for basically nothing.

DanaC 08-19-2013 04:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clodfobble (Post 873597)
Audible also has Peter F. Hamilton's "Greg Mandel" series, set in the same universe as the others but many generations earlier, as society is just discovering/fine-tuning the rejuvenation and wormhole technologies that are used in the Pandora's Star books. I don't know who narrated the others, but his Greg Mandel series is narrated by Toby Longworth and he's fantastic.

Oh! I didn't realise they were set in the same universe. I thought they were a different stream entirely. Might have to give them a listen then :)

Toby Longworth is an excellent narrator. I've had some of his stuff before. In fact he did one of the Void trilogy.

Sundae 08-19-2013 06:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigV (Post 873594)
um. thanks?

Glatt is a seer.
You will get the help that you need, when you need it.

glatt 08-19-2013 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigV (Post 873594)
um. thanks?

I have no idea. But it made sense to me at the time. :blush:

orthodoc 08-19-2013 07:23 PM

I received an offer today for work next year (when I finish my program), allowing me operational oversight of the practice and profit-sharing ... basically giving me backing to set up practice and GO. Just a few details to tweak but nothing major.

Now I just need good news from the gyne-oncologist, either tomorrow (i.e. nothing to worry about at all) or after some surgery (assuming the pathology is benign). Good news ... does it come in threes like bad news? I hope so. :)