The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Parenting (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   My Kid is a Damn Nutter (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=18924)

Flint 07-20-2009 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clodfobble (Post 582692)
Now I've just got to figure out what to do with a 3/4ths full economy-size jar of calcium gummy bears.

You could give 'em to a visiting family of dwellars? Don't let the kid see, though, since she's already asking for her "bear" back.

Clodfobble 07-20-2009 03:32 PM

:lol: I didn't even think about that. She's not regaining her speech, she's just jonesin'.

You can have my whole stash of gummy bears and a lot of other random half-used vitamins when you come to Austin.

Undertoad 07-20-2009 03:53 PM

Correlation does not imply causation

Clodfobble 07-20-2009 04:15 PM

You're right, it doesn't. But even the most rigorous of scientific testing can only prove very strong correlation, never causation. I could give her the gummies back in a few weeks and see if she regresses, but I'd only be doing it to prove a point to you and risking my kid's brain isn't worth that.

I know you think I've gone off the deep end, but I'm not demonizing the items themselves--if I believed these things affected all children across the board, I wouldn't be offering them to Flint's kids, now would I? Incidentally, Minifob's allergy blood tests will be back in soon. I'll let you know if they confirm my personal finding that he has a correlated behavioral reaction to coconut, peaches, oranges, cashews, peanuts, egg, and tomatoes. (And just for the record, I'm predicting Minifobette's blood tests, when she gets them in a few months, will show a reaction to pears, peaches, oranges, cherries, mango, kiwi, and pineapple.) We'll verify my observational testing methods together.

Ibby 07-20-2009 06:03 PM

You know, I've always had mild ADHD symptoms, and my mom is convinced i've got super-mild aspergers (i've got an uncle who is majorly aspergers among other things), and i've always been a majorly picky eater... i oughtta do some research into all this diet-affecting-brain some myself.

Clodfobble 07-20-2009 06:16 PM

Ibram, you should read Children With Starving Brains.

Clodfobble 07-20-2009 06:27 PM

Quote:

(And just for the record, I'm predicting Minifobette's blood tests, when she gets them in a few months, will show a reaction to pears, peaches, oranges, cherries, mango, kiwi, and pineapple.)
Forgot one after the edit time window: annatto.

jinx 07-20-2009 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Undertoad (Post 582715)

So, do you think she's doing something wrong based on incorrect assumptions? What would you be doing Tony? Based on what information?

Clodfobble 07-20-2009 06:31 PM

In fairness, it's entirely possible it's a different ingredient in the gummy bears that she has a problem with. But I have absolutely no doubt at this point that the gummies were no good for her.

Flint 07-20-2009 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Undertoad (Post 582715)

Quote:

Originally Posted by jinx (Post 582740)
So, do you think she's doing something wrong based on incorrect assumptions? What would you be doing Tony? Based on what information?

Haven't you heard? The best thing to do is take no actions, at all, ever. Especially when based on careful, rigorous observation.

monster 07-20-2009 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clodfobble (Post 582692)
Now I've just got to figure out what to do with a 3/4ths full economy-size jar of calcium gummy bears.

I bet they'd be great for bath tub art. Dump them in the water, let them warm up and dissolve just a little, then press on the the tub sides and backsplash in interesting patterns.

Undertoad 07-20-2009 10:30 PM

I'm saying she doesn't know whether the gummi bears had an effect. She may have no other alternative than to discontinue things after which an effect is shown. But she has done what I thought appropriate; she fairly backed off of
Quote:

Even when you know it's real, it's so hard to believe it sometimes.
"Correlation doesn't prove causation" means you don't know it's real and you mustn't believe it.

Flint 07-20-2009 10:37 PM

I guess sometimes it comes down to whether you've got "something to prove" or you're just trying to live your life and do good things.

DanaC 07-21-2009 05:12 AM

I noticed a correlation between the times I ran out of tinned tripe and so fed Pilau just on dry kibble, and the times he did and didn't have the shits.

I generally don't feed him with tinned tripe now. He's much better. Correlation doesn't necessarily imply causation, but nor does it necessarily discount the same.

Clodfobble 07-21-2009 09:07 AM

My daughter said two more new words this morning, UT. One of which was to tell me that she had "pooped," which is even more developmentally significant than just naming nouns. Remember that before I took her off the gummies, she had not spoken a single word in three months.

This means that on a standardized developmental speech scale, she has gone from a 9-month-old to a 15-month-old in the last two days. What do you think, can I safely say the gummies were having an effect now?