The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   What's making you happy today? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=14055)

DanaC 12-18-2008 08:56 PM

I'd like to echo that Rock on and add a Tommy (one for the Brits)

LabRat 12-19-2008 09:11 AM

snow day!!!!

Trilby 12-19-2008 09:46 AM

NO WAY!

It's fifty degrees over here!

LabRat 12-19-2008 09:52 AM

Technically, not the University, but my daughter's school was cancelled, so I'm staying home with her.

Now, if I could only stay out of those damn peanut butter balls...

SteveDallas 12-19-2008 11:58 AM

kinky...

Undertoad 12-19-2008 12:17 PM

Schadenfreude - the place that got rid of me just advertised the position in Craigslist again, which means they couldn't find someone in three months now, and are almost certainly desperate.

My friendly ex-cow-orkers all say they don't like it there without me.

It also means pager duty rolls around every 3 weeks instead of every 4 for everyone in my ex-group... with no end in sight. Three people are on the pager, so they share it on a one week on, two weeks off basis. With me in rotation, there were four of us, so it was three weeks off.

They are regretting it. Upper-level management is responsible for 98% of all problems at that place.

HungLikeJesus 12-19-2008 12:22 PM

Have you applied for the job? Maybe you can get a raise.

limey 12-19-2008 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HungLikeJesus (Post 515156)
Have you applied for the job? Maybe you can get a raise.

What he said.

Shawnee123 12-19-2008 01:07 PM

I think you should too, UT. Just see what happens.

Today, we had our luncheon, then met in our divisions. At the luncheon I was thinking how emotionally invested I was in my old job, and sort of missing that common purpose, even though I know the common purpose is here as well. At division, they made everyone new get up, along with their boss, who introduced us and said what our role is. Before my boss spoke, my cow orkers started clapping. They told me later they said "we plan to keep her" and that made me feel really good. There are good people here. The things i was apprehensive about, in going to a new place, have already become irrelevant, and I am so lucky and happy.

Cicero 12-19-2008 01:13 PM

lol! Goodz Shaw! No better xmas present than work validation, and the assured promise of more work!

UT, I would do it. Go for it. You could go back in with the "no harm no foul" attitude.

Give people a chance to realize a mistake, and rectify it. If they can't, they blow. :)

Yznhymr 12-19-2008 01:31 PM

Yeehaw!!! I was just informed I am getting a bonus in my next check. Totally unexpected. My company doesn't do Christmas bonuses; this is based on work I did this year that they want to reward me for. My wife is sooo excited. I am sure it will be spent before I finish typing this! LOL

Undertoad 12-19-2008 01:47 PM

Hey, they accepted my unemployment insurance claim this time. Next time they might not. I won't work there unless there are several changes in upper management.

And long term, a company that can only reliably monitor FM radio is going to die anyway.

Shawnee123 12-19-2008 01:49 PM

Heh...true. Still, what great vindication to know they suck without you!

Sundae 12-19-2008 04:16 PM

My Dad accidentally shut Diz out when he went to the shed to get ice cubes during an ad break (the shed is only a step away from the back door and is where they keep the freezer).

Good news though.
He was out for 20 minutes before I went to check on him - I assumed he was on the heater in the hall. I immediately went to the back door and called, and he streaked in on his cold little paws.

This does make me happy because he didn't run and he has the sense to know this is home.

HungLikeJesus 12-19-2008 04:39 PM

I hope your dad is OK. Maybe you should try to convince him to wear shoes next time he goes out for ice.

Why didn't he knock?