The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Quality Images and Videos (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Rims (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=24228)

xoxoxoBruce 11-03-2017 12:39 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Cool wheels, look retro but really high tech...

Glinda 11-04-2017 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce (Post 998058)
Tarheel, the minivan replaced the wagon because the wagon had the suburban family with kids label, plus it was much more efficient and easier to tote kids and their gear. But then the minivan got the Soccer Mom tag which was the kiss of death.
They couldn't go back to wagons so they sold them on the SUVs, which is roomy but a pain in the ass for hauling the tribe. However it hadn't come to represent the MILF with spawn yet.
Now, selling wagons and minivans is an uphill struggle because you are what you drive. Image is everything.

Meh. Through the years, I've owned three station wagons and loved every one of them. Plenty of room for peeps and for hauling shit. Plus, I don't give a foetid rat's patootie what anyone thinks. :D

Of course, I also have a 4WD Silverado for when the load is too big for the Volvo, and for when the roads get treacherous out here. :cool:

xoxoxoBruce 11-05-2017 12:36 AM

1 Attachment(s)
You obviously don't represent the buying public demographic. Image sells cars. What won at the track last weekend, what a movie stars and "celebrities" are driving, what's in this year. How else would you explain Mercedes and BMW sales numbers of overpriced cars? Why do you think Porsche is building SUVs instead of wagons?

Here's the motor of that Javelin.

xoxoxoBruce 11-05-2017 12:52 AM

1 Attachment(s)
A beautiful '55 Chevy throws people off with '56 side trim.
A buddy was building a '56 Chevy 2-dr wagon so I bought him one of those smooth one piece front bumpers for his birthday.
He drilled it and mounted bumper guards. :smack:

Glinda 11-05-2017 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce (Post 998185)
You obviously don't represent the buying public demographic. Image sells cars.

"Image"?

You mean everybody doesn't want to be a gray-haired crazy lady that raises chickens in the woods and drives an 18-year-old Volvo station wagon?

WTF?



:D

Glinda 11-05-2017 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce (Post 998185)
How else would you explain Mercedes and BMW sales numbers of overpriced cars? Why do you think Porsche is building SUVs instead of wagons?

Because the buying public is stupid as shit? Seriously, every time I see someone driving a Cadillac Escalade, I have to wonder if he was dropped on his head when he was an infant.

38 Cadillac Escalade Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Remember this brilliant Lincoln truck?

Biggest Automotive Missteps: Lincoln Blackwood

Ha ha! Of course you don't, because it was a piece of crap!

IMO, if "image" is the only basis for somebody spending waaaay too much money for something, they will surely be disappointed.

If I want a sports car, I'll buy from a company that has a long history of making quality sports cars. If I want a luxury sedan, I'll buy from a company that has a long history of making quality luxury sedans. I would NEVER buy an SUV or truck from a sports car or luxury sedan maker. It's just common sense, right?

That said, this country seems to be overrun with people who haven't one iota of common sense, so, I'll give you that. But I will continue to buck "trendy" and stick with what actually works, image be damned!

;)

Gravdigr 11-05-2017 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glinda (Post 998220)
Because the buying public is stupid as shit?

:lol2:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glinda (Post 998220)
But I will continue to buck "trendy" and stick with what actually works, image be damned!

Why, you little rebel, you.:jig:

glatt 11-05-2017 01:47 PM

Why are station wagons gone?

My understanding is it was the fleet fuel economy requirements that did not apply to trucks. SUVs and minivans are classified as trucks and exempt, but station wagons are cars are non-exempt. So they had to be dropped to meet fleet fuel economy requirements.

Gravdigr 11-05-2017 01:50 PM

One of my favorite cars was an 81 Chevy Malibu wagon.

Also had an 83 Pontiac Bonneville (I think) wagon. I gave $200 for this one. The trans was supposedly shot on this car. I dropped the scattershield and all the torque convertor bolts fell out of it. Put 'em back in and it drove like it was new.:jig:

xoxoxoBruce 11-05-2017 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glinda (Post 998211)
"Image"?
You mean everybody doesn't want to be a gray-haired crazy lady that raises chickens in the woods and drives an 18-year-old Volvo station wagon?
WTF? :D

No, as a matter of fact they don't, everybody wants other people to see them as they wished to be seen and try to present, or don't care at all. Cars are like clothes, they're are a projection of you to others. Dress for the job you want, extends to your vehicle. Even counter culture segments like hipsters, goths, grunges, bikers, etc, shown their individuality by dressing alike. :haha:

But the keep-up-with-the-Jones, and the must-impress-the-peers crowd is a huge target market. The car markers love them because they buy more expensive vehicles, are easier to upsell, and buy more often. The dealers love them for that and because they trade in vehicles that can often be sold at a higher profit than the new cars bring.

Personally I dress to be comfortable, (I told Amanda, Jim's betrothed, I couldn't come to their wedding. When she asked why not, I told her I was wearing my Sunday best, which was jeans and a pocket Tee), and I drive what blows my skirt up. I know there are a shitload of people(probably you) who feel the same way.

xoxoxoBruce 11-05-2017 08:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Pssst...wanna buy a used car... cheap.

Glinda 11-05-2017 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce (Post 998242)
Personally I dress to be comfortable, (I told Amanda, Jim's betrothed, I couldn't come to their wedding. When she asked why not, I told her I was wearing my Sunday best, which was jeans and a pocket Tee), and I drive what blows my skirt up. I know there are a shitload of people(probably you) who feel the same way.

Heh. :)

I did a writing job years ago, for a guy who owned a small advertising agency in Marina del Rey, CA. The agency specialized in marketing cowboy/horse stuff. He'd hired me to ghostwrite a book for him (The Cowboy Hat Book), and offered me desk space in his agency to work on the book.

He was always dressed to the nines in his fancy cowboy duds, but his staff wore a really . . . interesting collection of attire to the office. Sweats, shorts and T's, pajama pants, flip-flops. When I asked him about it, he told me that one of the things he'd learned as an employer was that "comfort is king." He wanted his employees to feel comfortable and at home when at work; he felt it improved staff morale, productivity, communication, and loyalty.

I've carried that with me ever since. If you can't handle me wearing my comfy second-hand Goodwill clothes to the office, then I'm not the employee for you. Because, literally, I do NOT dress up for anybody or anything. I present as neat, clean, non-disheveled, (altho not particularly fashionable), and I'm good with that. Because I'm COMFY.

I spent decades working as the exec admin asst for a couple of different big-wig CEO types in LA and San Francisco. Expensive, "fashionable" suits, painful high heels, nylons, fuckin' girdles, blah blah blah, were required.

But that cowboy dude set me on the right path. Comfort is king, baby.

Oh yeah. :thumb:

xoxoxoBruce 11-06-2017 12:06 AM

When my first wife started working for an insurance company in Boston('64), women were required to wear stockings and heels, couldn't smoke in the building(even though they only rented two floors), and were only 2 years removed from having to wear hats. :eek:

Griff 11-06-2017 07:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glatt (Post 998235)
Why are station wagons gone?

I think I just bought one? Subaru Forester.

xoxoxoBruce 11-06-2017 11:19 AM

Nope, that's a "compact SUV". :haha:

Gravdigr 11-06-2017 03:44 PM

Maybe it's an expanded station wagon?

xoxoxoBruce 11-08-2017 12:49 AM

1 Attachment(s)
This, is a station wagon...

xoxoxoBruce 11-08-2017 12:52 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Before Mustang, cougar was the name.

Gravdigr 11-08-2017 02:06 PM

I like the old Cougars.

Heh-heh, see what I did there?:cool:

Glinda 11-08-2017 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce (Post 998347)
This, is a station wagon...

Wow, that's awesome! Very George Jetsony. :D

Glinda 11-08-2017 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gravdigr (Post 998372)
I like the old Cougars.

Heh-heh, see what I did there?:cool:

You naughty, naughty man! :yesnod:

xoxoxoBruce 11-09-2017 12:26 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Three dead Demons...

Gravdigr 11-09-2017 03:12 PM

With names like Demon and Hellcat, you'd think they could take the heat...

fargon 11-09-2017 05:45 PM

Bad. LOL

xoxoxoBruce 11-11-2017 12:49 AM

1 Attachment(s)
A friend in Texas sent me this picture of one of his many cars. Can you say sleeper boys and girls...

xoxoxoBruce 11-11-2017 12:51 AM

1 Attachment(s)
This '55 wagon is another sleeper...

BigV 11-11-2017 01:13 AM

The wagon takes me back to high school... Kent Ivey was captain of the water polo team, had not one, but two of those, same color, blue and white, but it was a two door Bel Air . Cragar five spoke wheels, was *awesome*.

Gravdigr 11-11-2017 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce (Post 998516)
A friend in Texas sent me this picture of one of his many cars. Can you say sleeper boys and girls...

I always wanted a two-door Caprice/Impala with the aero back glass.

Gravdigr 11-16-2017 05:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Did he spruce up the van, or the semi?:eyebrow:

I can't tell.

Attachment 62383

xoxoxoBruce 11-17-2017 12:50 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I think he insulted both.

Like this insulted god.

xoxoxoBruce 11-18-2017 01:29 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The real reason they went to rear engine dragsters...

Gravdigr 11-24-2017 02:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Ouch.

Attachment 62459

Gravdigr 11-24-2017 02:22 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Also, I need a little help with the year model on these vehicles I snapped on safari:

Attachment 62460

Attachment 62461

Attachment 62462

Anybody?

Bueller?

Griff 11-24-2017 05:15 PM

I think '71 or so for the El Camino.

Gravdigr 11-29-2017 02:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I was hoping for Bruce's help on the id'ing, especially the Elky. The man knows his El Caminos. I got here late, he's already off foolin' 'round somewheres.

Anywho:

Attachment 62512

Idk why.

xoxoxoBruce 11-30-2017 09:28 AM

Griff's right, 3rd generation Elky, '68 - '72. A Super Sport, likely a 454. I have a chrome straight front axle for that puppy.
The convertible is a '64.
The pickup is a Ford piece of shit. ;)

Gravdigr 11-30-2017 04:13 PM

Thanks Bruce.

BigV 11-30-2017 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gravdigr (Post 999277)
I was hoping for Bruce's help on the id'ing, especially the Elky. The man knows his El Caminos. I got here late, he's already off foolin' 'round somewheres.

Anywho:

Attachment 62512

Idk why.

Because "Shorty's"?

xoxoxoBruce 12-01-2017 03:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Shortys?

BigV 12-01-2017 10:54 PM

Shorty's, as in

I don't know why -- because "Shorty's" is the logo on the shortened yellow van.

xoxoxoBruce 12-02-2017 12:31 AM

With carhops on skates.

xoxoxoBruce 12-05-2017 11:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
A friend just came back from a week in Cuba... it's ok, she's Canadian. ;)

xoxoxoBruce 12-07-2017 09:13 AM

1 Attachment(s)
New cabs in London, will free up a lot of diesel. Probably require some infrastructure changes.

Beest 12-07-2017 03:27 PM

Heard on article on NPR about the new London cabs, including comments from a cabbie. He was failry neutral but pointed out there are five thousand cabs in London, but not five thousand charging stations.

Gravdigr 12-07-2017 03:56 PM

Seventy-four thousand smackers.

Jesus Fucking Christ.

Gravdigr 12-07-2017 04:06 PM

And it it's uglier than shit.

xoxoxoBruce 12-07-2017 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gravdigr (Post 999757)
And it it's uglier than shit.

That's tradition, they've always been ugly.

xoxoxoBruce 12-09-2017 12:13 AM

1 Attachment(s)
And the doctor said my woody days were passed. Hah, I just proven him wrong.

BigV 12-09-2017 11:43 AM


xoxoxoBruce 12-10-2017 08:55 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Street hahaha

xoxoxoBruce 12-10-2017 08:58 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Street Roadster's kids became Mustang people...

BigV 12-10-2017 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce (Post 999907)
Street hahaha

Sure!

Headlights, check
Fenders, check
Emergency brake, check (out the big black parachute on top of the trunk. Probably not gonna hold on a a hill, unless entangled with the trees.)

xoxoxoBruce 12-11-2017 04:29 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Found a bunch...

Gravdigr 12-12-2017 04:10 PM

You can keep the surfboard, but, I'll take one of those maroon mosheens.

xoxoxoBruce 12-12-2017 07:22 PM

Agree, lose the roof crap and the ads.

BigV 12-13-2017 10:03 PM

The "Unique '53 Chevy COE" looks like it just got lost on the way to the movie set for the Fifth Element or something. A. Trip.

xoxoxoBruce 12-14-2017 05:16 PM

2 Attachment(s)
When you want to know when your tires are worn out or you forget what the pedals are for...

Gravdigr 12-15-2017 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce (Post 1000172)
...or you forget what the pedals are for...

I have been known to scream out the window "IT'S THE SKINNY ONE, ON THE RIGHT!!!" at the fool driver in front of me.

xoxoxoBruce 12-16-2017 09:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Post the Big One, WW II, anything seemed possible because few realized how rich and powerful corporations in some industries had become from the war effort, or how hard they would fight free enterprise.

xoxoxoBruce 12-17-2017 09:42 AM

1 Attachment(s)
glattmobiles...


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:37 PM.

Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.