The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   What's making you happy today? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=14055)

Griff 04-12-2013 10:11 PM

Cow-orker didn't come to work today and I took Lil' Griff to see Streetlight Manifesto. Most excellent day.

xoxoxoBruce 04-12-2013 10:18 PM

At her age she should be enjoying stuff like that, but you're supposed to be a responsible adult now. It's a slippery slope, you know. :p:

Griff 04-13-2013 06:24 AM

Her dad has been carving that slope for as long as she can remember. I just think its neat that we had Reel Big Fish, Mighty Mighty Boss Tones, and Skatalites in the house when she was a tiny and over the last couple years this ska thing has become a full blown passion. :)

Sundae 04-13-2013 09:24 AM

Sorry if this is a bum note in the happy thread but...

Parents should share their passions with their children while they can. I know Li'l Griff is a long way off forty (?!) but I'm hella grateful that I was so close to my Dad growing up. The amount of things we can enjoy together can only diminish now.

I was at school with people who had far richer parents than mine. But in almost every case their Dad was effectively missing from their life. No doubt they are mid-way up the property ladder now. And possibly missing their own children's childhood. Who knows, I suppose some people can work overtime and earn money and still be around; I just remember those who didn't.

Daddies and daughters are special. You go, Griff.

Griff 04-13-2013 09:28 AM

Thank you for that. :)

DanaC 04-13-2013 09:47 AM

I'd agree with that. I had some awesome times with Dad. especially during the time Mum was training as a nurse and doing weird shift hours. And any time off sick from school too *smiles* Dad was a night worker most of the time, so he'd always be around for some of the day.

Poor bugger must have groaned every time I was sick...no sleep that day :p

DanaC 04-13-2013 09:52 AM

That little exchange brough to mind a bunch of lovely memories. A midnight walk through Queen's park with the dogs, with Dad pointing out hedgehogs, owls and bats. And telling spooky stories about the statues on the promenade...how every so many years on a particular night there's an extra statue. The White Lady.

Naturally, the particular year and night would be the night we were walking :)

That strange combination of smells that he had when he returned from work: machine oils and baked bread.

Watching him carefully pulling the slats from the hive, with the bees all docile and sleepy from the smoker.

Tales of boarding school and India.

Burnt stew, apologetically served with copious amounts of brown sauce to mask the taste.

Flash roasted and spiced chick peas filling the kitchen with pungent smoke.

His pushbike. Rode everywhere on that bike. Off to work in the evening, trouser legs caught back with bike clips. No helmet, it was the 70s/80s.

Hah. That's made me feel happy.

Sundae 04-13-2013 10:03 AM

That would have fried my brain. I was spooked enough by Nesbit's Enchanted Castle!

I once asked Dads what he would say if I said this house was haunted.
I didn't think it was, I just wanted to hear his reaction. Because in all the books I read, children were too worried about being disbelieved to talk to anyone.

He said something along the lines of, "It's unlikely. The woman who lived here before us is still alive, and she was very happy here. But if you really thought that, then I would stay with you and make sure you were safe. And then we would speak to Father Harris [our priest, Mum is still in touch with him.]"

It was utterly practical and immensely reassuring.
He's a grouchy old git now, but that is why I still love him.
(If I'd asked Mum that question she'd have shut me up very quickly. Mainly by telling me to shut up.)

Sundae 04-13-2013 12:16 PM

I heard the cry of the Wolf.
Which is to say I spoke to her today on the telephone.
She's as cool in person as she is on here.

Thanks to everyone who trusted me with their digits.
I will work my way through.

wolf 04-13-2013 03:56 PM

I was going to slyly post that I had an unexpected and wonderful phone conversation today ... it was rather like old friends speaking, really, the hard part was not tripping over each other to say the same things. It was great! Thank you, Sundae, for helping me to avoid doing things I needed to do, and then to get around to doing some of them ... taxes are still undone, but there is always tomorrow, and I got on with doing some cooking right after we hung up. You inspired me!

Sundae 04-14-2013 04:07 AM

My hoi-sin chicken was lovely btw. Even saved some for Mum.

And later I got to watch the new series of Britain's Got Talent.
I can't help being a sentimental old thing; I love it.
The opening sequence with the flashmob of previous competitors had me simultaneously laughing and crying.

All in all a great Saturday night.

DanaC 04-14-2013 04:36 AM

That young comedian was awesome. I expect him to go far.

orthodoc 04-14-2013 07:11 AM

Soaking up a beautiful Sunday morning, drinking my coffee and watching the birds fight it out at the feeders. The red-winged blackbirds are back along with the finches, cardinals, doves, jays, song-sparrows, titmice, chickadees, woodpeckers, etc. There are literally hundreds of robins on the front lawn/field. And our pair of nesting hawks is back. :)

Luckily the bird-eating squirrel has NOT returned.

orthodoc 04-14-2013 09:09 AM

Turkeys! Another flock on the north field, a gorgeous big tom herding his hens around, strutting and displaying like crazy. A jogger happened by on the road and they all took off up the field into our woods. They can really cover ground.

eta - the turkeys took off. The jogger stayed on the road. :p:

wolf 04-14-2013 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sundae (Post 860648)
My hoi-sin chicken was lovely btw. Even saved some for Mum.

Jamaican Jerk Turkey Meatloaf with Garlic Quinoa (don't get impressed, the Quinoa came out of a packet and all I had to do was boil water and wait the right amount of time after I turned the heat to low. Ok, to be fair, I also had to remember to put the lid on the pot, and not forget that I was simmering it) is now reposing quietly in the refrigerator and will provide sandwiches for the week to come.

And my taxes are now done.

So I will be spending the remainder of the afternoon and probably most of the evening playing Epic Mickey 2.