The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   What's making you happy today? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=14055)

Gravdigr 09-27-2013 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Griff (Post 876922)
That is some high clover! ;)

Nice shot Pop!

I'll pass that on to Pop. I put an extra clover or two in there to cover his protruding tongue for the squeemier Dwellars.

But not that many! If it weren't for clover we would have just dirt.

Chocolatl 09-27-2013 09:46 AM

I will continue to imagine that this deer has stuck its head through a hedge and settled in for a nap. ;)

busterb 09-27-2013 09:02 PM

Went to wal-not today to return 2 items and bitch about being charged for another which I didn't get.
No one was in line and the lady was an old classmate of mine. Smooth.

DanaC 09-28-2013 09:47 AM

Carrot has now been meds free for 5 days, hurrah!

Ever since he had that really bad groin strain injury about 7/8 months back he's been on pain meds. Initially quite high doses then bringing the dose down with a view to weaning him off. Every time I got near to the weaning off part of that journey he had another accident or injury and the dose had to go back up (though not as high as the first time) and start the whole process again.

Or, as with recent months, I'd get down to a very low dose and he'd start displaying pain based behaviours and so I'd know I was bringing him off too soon.

That's a long time for a young dog to be on pain meds, even though we're talking quite low doses mostly.

I'm so happy he's now drug free, and crossing my fingers there won't be any more incidents to put him back on them!

Also: at his last hip assessment (a few weeks ago) Rhona the hydro vet was really pleased with his progress. She said she'd be happy to sign him off now if I wanted that, though she'd be happier to see him again towards the end of November just to see how he is as we head into the season of bad weather and therefore less exercise. So, I'm taking him back then.

All in all things are looking up for my little Carrotchops. He is now allowed any length of walk I want to give him, and has off the lead exercise most days (though she said i still need to weight it towards lead walking, and have free runs as an addition to that, since the stepping is better exercise for him than the bunnyhop running he does when free).

Other than being a bit careful about him playing with other dogs unless I know their playstyle or they're too small to take his back end down, he is now living a 'normal' life *smiles*.

Chocolatl 09-28-2013 09:53 AM

Hooray for Carrot! That's great news. :)

Nirvana 09-28-2013 11:33 AM

>love< for Carrotness! :)

Sundae 09-28-2013 12:36 PM

Dani that's splendid news.
Love to the Chops.

limey 09-28-2013 01:16 PM

Great Carroty news! :D

Sent by thought transference

Griff 09-28-2013 01:22 PM

Good dog!

Got a call this morning, Benny is a big brother! Most of the litter is called for but if anyone wants a smart, gorgeous, very busy dog, I can give you a phone number. These dogs need work and room to roam so self-select on that.

DanaC 09-29-2013 10:48 AM

Thanks guys:) He's a proper happy little chap. And even more so since mum got Nellie. They adore each other. When we're out walking, they'll be side by side and suddenly he'll just turn his head and lick her face in sheer joy.

@ Griff: awwww. What breed pups are they?

Gravdigr 09-29-2013 11:39 AM

Yay Carrot!

Slick and I are very lucky. He's eighteen, and doesn't really need anything, and has always been relatively healthy (knocks wood). The only things that have ever afflicted him were a bout of stones, (that has been taken care of with prescription kitteh food), and two teeth that grew in sideways, and had to be pulled. He came home both times drunk as Foster Brooks, his front and hind feet weren't communicating well, at all.:lol2:

Griff 09-29-2013 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanaC (Post 877612)
Thanks guys:) He's a proper happy little chap. And even more so since mum got Nellie. They adore each other. When we're out walking, they'll be side by side and suddenly he'll just turn his head and lick her face in sheer joy.

@ Griff: awwww. What breed pups are they?

Border Collie/ English Shepherd mix. They are all black and white Benny knockoffs with the same parents.

Griff 09-29-2013 12:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)

DanaC 09-29-2013 12:51 PM

Oh my word. I think I'm in love.

fargon 09-29-2013 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanaC (Post 877638)
Oh my word. I think I'm in love.

"

richlevy 09-29-2013 02:26 PM

Today's a quiet day, which in itself is good.

Yesterday found a good new restaurant doing Southern cooking and the two of us had a quiet breakfast/lunch alone. I haven't had hush puppies for a while.

Sundae 09-29-2013 02:30 PM

Had an absolute pig of a day.
Hoping to make it better though; on hedgehog watch tonight.

Nirvana 09-29-2013 06:09 PM

Love that puppy Griff! :D

Griff 09-29-2013 06:34 PM

He's much bigger now, but still adorable.

Pete picked apples on the hill today. So I made apple crisp and a pie using Bob's oat flour. It's a most wonderful day for pie.

glatt 09-29-2013 06:37 PM

I love apple crisp! Got any vanilla ice cream to go with it?

Griff 09-29-2013 07:16 PM

Oh, yeah!

footfootfoot 09-30-2013 01:36 PM

At the risk of attracting unwanted gif-tastic attention, I resolved some technical problems with my DIY mirror blind and should have it ready, if not by the first day of bow season then within a week of it.

glatt 09-30-2013 01:46 PM

huh.

I never heard of a mirror blind before, but now it all makes sense.

I was wondering why I saw a bunch of mirror structures in the woods once.

Gravdigr 09-30-2013 02:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
When they work, man, do they work.

Attachment 45534

Griff 09-30-2013 05:12 PM

Wow, that is cool.

My happy, Lil' Griff just got her class rank. Number 7 in her class, number 1 in our hearts, and number 13 on the hockey pitch.

orthodoc 09-30-2013 05:43 PM

Wonderful, Griff. :) Always number 1 in the category that counts, but she's awesome in the other areas too!

Mirror blind ... haven't encountered mirrors in my woods but will look for them when I'm back at Thanksgiving. Bow season will be done by then but Thanksgiving is the bad time when lazy, greedy guys literally jump the gun.

I think I've said this before - I have no problem with hunting to feed oneself or one's family. I have a problem with lazy people firing high-powered rifles in our creekbed 50 ft behind our back windows, as has happened before. I don't want anyone in my family to die from a 'stray' bullet.

I favor bow hunting over gun. It takes more practice, discipline, and skill. I think those who pursue it are more careful and cognizant of issues pertinent to both humans and deer than some of the yahoos that bound into the local backyards on the Monday after (or in the days before) Thanksgiving around our place.

That mirror blind photo is impressive.

Aliantha 09-30-2013 09:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
OThe view from my room

I have needed a few days off for a while now, so this is where i am. The big boys are looking after the midgets with the help of one of my very wonderful friends, and their father of course.

Attachment 45537

Aliantha 09-30-2013 09:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This is my view rfn.

Attachment 45538

xoxoxoBruce 09-30-2013 10:56 PM

Spoiled brat. I'd give you a hard time if you hadn't earned the rest. http://cellar.org/2012/bwekk.gif

Aliantha 09-30-2013 11:12 PM

Haha...thanks bruce. The best part of all is being able to photograph my legs without being self consious about them being covered in psoriasis. As u can see, there is hardly any marks at all now. Just a few scars which should fade. :)

Griff 10-01-2013 05:14 AM

Looks like just the thing Ali.

glatt 10-01-2013 07:47 AM

Ali, that's wonderful! Enjoy it. (Like I need to say that to you.)

Sundae 10-01-2013 10:00 AM

Ali, much as I wish Eva hadn't "interrupted" our break, I could never have offered anything like this. Or like her of course.

Relax and unwind and treat yourself. It looks simply gorge. And if you can sing Abba at karaoke then you 'll be even more my hero than previously.

DanaC 10-01-2013 10:03 AM

yey, Ali! Well-deserved. Enjoy every second of your break.

Pete Zicato 10-01-2013 10:46 AM

Pics of Ali's sexy legs.

Gravdigr 10-01-2013 12:58 PM

This.

footfootfoot 10-01-2013 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete Zicato (Post 877920)
Pics of Ali's sexy legs.

And feet!

Aliantha 10-01-2013 06:55 PM

The kids are coming down today. That will be nice. :)

Griff 10-01-2013 07:26 PM

Guy I used to ride with on MS150s just posted that he's put 40K miles on his daily commuter road bike. Dayumn!

xoxoxoBruce 10-01-2013 07:34 PM

Pete might not like you peddling your ass around town. :haha:

Aliantha 10-02-2013 03:06 AM

Sundae...dancing queen was the very first song i ever sang at karaoke!

limegreenc 10-02-2013 10:50 AM

My late great friend Veronica loved ABBA. I too have danced around my living room to Waterloo. Good workout. I live next to a 10 storey condo, and one time somebody was watching me boogie on so I opened the curtain and waved. :)

orthodoc 10-04-2013 08:36 PM

Signed a contract today for a job when I finish residency. And I'm immigrating my father the first weekend of November. :)

Lamplighter 10-05-2013 09:07 AM

My Lab, Vicky, is a time- and routine-tyrant. She gets me up at 5:15 every morning.
She's patient while I'm getting dressed, but starts getting antsy if I'm slow to fix the coffee.
If we're not out the door for the early morning walk by 5:30, she gets almost belligerent.

Anyhow, this morning was one of those really great pre-dawn star displays for PDX.
I'm sorry you (plural) were not with us.
The storms have moved east and the air was crisp and incredibly clear.
Jupiter was absolutely brilliant, and the winter constellations are now overhead in early morning.

It was one of those special times when I really appreciated this dog's O/C behaviors.

Sundae 10-05-2013 12:56 PM

Sounds wonderful!
Wish I could see something like that on the way to work. But then I live in a light-polluted area and leave at 06.00.

glatt 10-05-2013 06:29 PM

Somebody left this perfectly good boom box out on the curb along with a bunch of other failed yard sale junk. It joins two older boom boxes in my shop, but this new one plays CDs and my old tapes. Perfect for a workshop.

Everyone is switching to Pandora and iPod docks, and they are throwing out perfectly good electronics.

glatt 10-05-2013 06:34 PM

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/10/06/vupepere.jpg

Griff 10-05-2013 07:59 PM

My old coach used to say that fencing sick makes you concentrate on form and focus. I got silvers in epee and sabre today following that adage. Now I feel like shit and am happy as a clam.

xoxoxoBruce 10-05-2013 08:13 PM

Congratulations!! :celebrat:
Maybe when you're feeling poorly you try to conserve strength by not doing anything fancy but stick to the tried and true fundamentals.

My uncle, the high school coach, would listen to my father rave about this kid or that kid who really stood out in Jr High, and how lucky my uncle would be to have them coming up.

My uncle would sigh and say he wished they'd transfer or drop out. The stars were a pain in the ass, as were their parents. Because they had a little extra talent they thought fundamentals were for other people, and when they broke the basic rules the rest of the team would slack off. He'd rather have a whole field full of average kids that would work.

Glinda 10-07-2013 06:40 PM

Karma. Karma is making me happy today.

Bad things SHOULD happen to bad people, dammit, and today, karma is making me a happy girl. :)

orthodoc 10-07-2013 06:57 PM

Damn, I wish you'd send Karma this way. She never shows up here when she's needed.

The bad guys are winning in western PA. So where the hell is this Karma person?

xoxoxoBruce 10-07-2013 08:19 PM

Karma is like Tinkerbell... ya gotta believe!

orthodoc 10-07-2013 08:21 PM

Squeezing my eyes tight shut and believing, believing, ... sorry. It turned out just like my attempts to believe in Santa and the Tooth Fairy.

Karma sits up on the shelf with the rest of them.

Aliantha 10-07-2013 08:32 PM

I can breath without making all sorts of wheezy, rattling sounds. The drugs really are working! Actually, i noticed when i went to bed last night. It was the first night i could hear just the normal sound of my own breathing in over two weeks.

Also, the big kids are back at school after their two week spring break. It doesnt make me happy really. I miss them. It is very quiet without them though.

orthodoc 10-07-2013 08:39 PM

Very glad you're turning the corner, Ali. Normal breathing is a precious thing. :)

Aliantha 10-07-2013 08:44 PM

Yep, thats for sure. I was actually only able to get to sleep by breathing very shallowly so that the sounds werent so loud, and the rattling didnt start me coughing. I lay have passed out through lack of oxygen a couple of times i think. lol

orthodoc 10-08-2013 09:09 AM

My internet is up again! And - the faint of heart should probably sit down - the Comcast guy showed up early, figured out that the cable in the hall of the apartment building was disconnected :eyebrow:, and was done in about ten minutes. I didn't even get the automated call telling me he was coming until 20 minutes after he'd left. :D

monster 10-09-2013 10:11 PM

I got too skinny to buy jeans at Walmart.

jimhelm 10-09-2013 10:45 PM

Get ye to the RFN thread. I wanna see

Oh, and congrats!