The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   What's making you happy today? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=14055)

Shawnee123 12-31-2008 08:14 AM

Good for you, Griff! Bravo!

Trilby 12-31-2008 08:48 AM

good for you Griff. I know how very hard that is for me to do. You've been sans booze for quite a while now, right?

Griff 12-31-2008 08:49 AM

One year a couple days ago.

Shawnee123 12-31-2008 08:56 AM

A person very close to me, and I won't say who because well, it's his business, has been sober for over 10 years. No one, and I mean NO ONE, is funnier or sweeter or goofier than he is. I am so proud of his accomplishment.

You go Griff.

xoxoxoBruce 12-31-2008 08:58 AM

Bah, ya quiter... just for that I hope you live to be 100. ;)

Trilby 12-31-2008 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Griff (Post 517791)
One year a couple days ago.

If you don't mind, Griff, can you say a little about the challenges (or, lack of challenges if that's the case) this has brought about in your life? Were you ever really, really tempted? Did you ever feel sorry for yourself? Did you ever wish you could just let it all go and get smashed just one more time? Did people at parties ever grill you about it? Do you feel a lot better or the same?

If these questions are not cool, I apologize. I'd just like to know how you feel after a year without booze.

Sundae 12-31-2008 09:50 AM

Me too.
I'll share mine in return. Next year.

Griff 12-31-2008 11:48 AM

The biggest challenge for me is not getting pasted at parties. Being sober in a large group of drunks is really hard. I had no experience being sober at parties until this year. I drank whenever in a large group from high school on. The other time I'm tempted is when work gets stressful, but right now my work isn't getting to me. I'm focused on monitoring my mood and using self-talk and breathing exercises to get me over the hump. The most dangerous thing for me is the little voice that says I can control my drinking now, as if a quarter century of evidence to the contrary is meaningless. The questions are very cool, especially if I can help anyone else kill the monkey.

Griff 12-31-2008 11:57 AM

oops there were more questions. People have been good about it and I've convinced myself that they don't see me as weak because I lack control once the key is in the ignition. I really wanted to hit the whiskey during the holiday season, I miss the bite, a lot. I am much sharper physically and mentally. I actually finished 8th out of 22 fencers at a holiday tournement last weekend in foil which is my #2 weapon. I firmly believe we can rewire ourselves a great deal within the limitations of our biology.

Trilby 12-31-2008 12:20 PM

You're an inspiration, Griff.

I admire your ability to do this.

*hugs*

Griff 12-31-2008 12:24 PM

Thanks!

TheMercenary 12-31-2008 12:48 PM

Well done Griff. You have much to be proud of and many good years ahead of you.

Cicero 12-31-2008 12:49 PM

Hey Griff. I have heard that you need to keep yourself occupied with tasks around a bunch of drunks at parties if you don't want to hit the sauce. I'm not sure what kind of party you are attending, but maybe keeping yourself intellectually stimulated by playing games might work. Well, I know it works because I've done it, but you may not be going to a party that is that casual.

Nice work Griff!

Flint 12-31-2008 01:30 PM

Jamming with my old band members at a party tonight.
Might have to borrow some mini-drums from the kids.

All 16" kick, like Tony Williams meets Drum n Bass.

HungLikeJesus 01-01-2009 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Griff (Post 517883)
... I actually finished 8th out of 22 fencers at a holiday tournement last weekend in foil which is my #2 weapon. ...

Griff, can you post a picture of you wearing your foil hat?