The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   What's making you happy today? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=14055)

xoxoxoBruce 04-13-2014 03:34 AM

Bee happy

Aliantha 04-13-2014 04:10 AM

My dad used to keep bees. I have some good stories about those days. lol. Not typing them out on my phone though.

nowhereman 04-13-2014 06:49 AM

Off this afternoon to a bee meeting on spring management. Package bees coming this Friday!! :D

DanaC 04-13-2014 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aliantha (Post 896698)
My dad used to keep bees. I have some good stories about those days. lol. Not typing them out on my phone though.

My dad was a beekeeper too!

He used to be one of the people who'd be called in to deal with rogue hives in the wrong place. Had to give that part of it up after a bad incident where he was stung by several hundred bees whilst dealing with a wild colony.

I used to love going to his little hives at the allotment. And eating fresh honeycomb mmmmm. Still remember the smell of the smoker he used to put the bees to sleep

Griff 04-13-2014 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nowhereman (Post 896705)
Off this afternoon to a bee meeting on spring management. Package bees coming this Friday!! :D

Excellent! My nucs are coming in May. It was pretty calm and relaxed in the yard. I guess beekeepers self-select for zen state. It was neat checking the hives for vigor. All these hives were doing well but one so one of the guys marked the weak queen and moved them into a nuc box in preparation for re-queening.

Sundae 04-13-2014 02:43 PM

I got an honorary mention at the Work's Oscars at our AGM tonight.
The Del Boy Best Sales Technique award.
I was slightly perturbed, because I sell via passion, care and customer service, as opposed to lying about hooky goods. But apparently it was meant as a genuine "Sand to the Arabs" compliment.

I has mad sales skillz it seems!

I was only runner up though. The prize went to a chap who works on fruit & veg.
Who used to be a market trader...

DanaC 04-13-2014 02:46 PM

lovely jubbly!

I'm happy 'cause I'm meeting Sundae for lunch in a couple of days :)

If I had more cash for multiple train journeys (and didn't have a bunch of seriously overdue marking to finish!) I'd meet up Tuesday and Wednesday, but at least we get to spend an hour or so on Wednesday just shootin the breeze and catching up.

limey 04-13-2014 02:59 PM

WTG Sundae! And have a lovely time without me at lunch! ;)

Sent by thought transference

Carruthers 04-13-2014 03:39 PM

Saw the first Swallow of the year this afternoon so that made me happy.

I was mowing the lawn at the time, which made me decidedly unhappy, but you can't have everything.

Sundae 04-13-2014 03:55 PM

Carr, really?
Re swallow not lawn.
Gosh. I wouldn't have looked for them this early, but I suppose it is nearly half-past April.

Dani, NO. We will be meeting as a part of my reconnaissance, and discussing only things to aid my move. Because this might be my only chance to visit before committing myself to a huge life change.

Oh yeh, and probably laughing til we hurt about stupidy things.

So don't worry Limes. You have little to envy.
Still If'n you could make it to Bradford we'd love to welcome you!
I'm actually staying in a TRIPLE room alone on Monday and Tuesday night, as it's the same price as a double and there were no singles. So you and Dave could both come and frolic.

Okay, nix on the frolic part, the third bed is a bunk above the double.

Carruthers 04-14-2014 02:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sundae (Post 896744)
Carr, really?
Re swallow not lawn.
Gosh. I wouldn't have looked for them this early, but I suppose it is nearly half-past April.

Yes, I always look forward to the middle two weeks of April and the return of the House Martins and Swallows.
The trouble is that so very often there is a brief sighting of a solitary bird, of either species, and then no more for another two or three weeks.
As we know 'One Swallow doesn't make a summer'.

Griff 04-14-2014 06:57 AM

That's what she said.

xoxoxoBruce 04-14-2014 07:13 AM

...to the Vicar.

Aliantha 04-14-2014 03:39 PM

Are you two on your period or something then?

Gravdigr 04-14-2014 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanaC (Post 896738)
lovely jubbly!

I was scrollin up, looking to see if Sundae had her jubblies out again.

:mad: