The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   What's making you happy today? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=14055)

ZenGum 07-28-2008 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lookout123 (Post 472087)
I started the day by being pulled from work to retrieve Mrs L who found a flat tire upon coming out of the gym. It turns out the tire was irreparable and the other 3 would need to be replaced soon. As I thought about it and did the math of the impending maintenance needs quickly approaching and the price of gas... I decided a new vehicle was in order. So I filled the flat tire up and went to the dealership.

After carefully considering all of TW's wisdom I purchased a little Ford Focus. It's cheap, it's new, and it gets double the gas mileage of the truck I got rid of. Mrs L will drive my FJ so it will get fewer miles and I'll have the little runner.

Kind of a fun day.

Wow.

Honey, I've got a flat tyre [tire].

That's ok, sweetheart, lets just buy a new car.

Ka-ching!!!!

Aliantha 07-28-2008 11:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZenGum (Post 472090)
Wow.

Honey, I've got a flat tyre [tire].

That's ok, sweetheart, lets just buy a new car.

Ka-ching!!!!

Well there's that, and there's also, Why couldn't she change the tyre herself?

HungLikeJesus 07-29-2008 12:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aliantha (Post 472091)

She'd been doing lat pulls and was too tired to operate the jack.

Aliantha 07-29-2008 12:08 AM

oh right. I understand now.

DanaC 07-29-2008 03:21 AM

My computer arrived yesterday:) I am now waiting on J bobbing over and installing the OS. Might be today might be tomorrow. Gosh this exciting. The last time I bought a new computer was four and a half years ago:)

monster 07-29-2008 10:22 AM

Quote:

Why couldn't she change the tyre herself?

a) her last tire was flattened on 9/11 at the WTC, you insensitive bitch :cry:
b) nobody can change the tyre, it must want to change
c) (write in your assumptions here) ________________

:D

Shawnee123 07-29-2008 10:25 AM

c) she was two-tyred.

ZenGum 07-29-2008 10:30 AM

Quote:

What? And miss out on a new car? Are you nuts?

Sundae 07-29-2008 11:11 AM

BTW, I wouldn't call a Focus "little". I appreciate things are very different over there.
If I find I've won the Lottery this weekend I'll be getting either a Smart Car or a Nissan Micra!

I'm happy today because I've been bargain shopping on eBay clothes. Some arrived today, the rest I'll get this week sometime. Not party clothes. Clothes for working in the office in the heat. I've been having to wear my one vest top and a top with spaghetti straps. Quite respectable, but not quite ideal for the face of the company.

Picked up a couple of lightweight dresses and city shorts and blouses. I've paid approx 10% of what I would in the shops (was very ruthless in my bidding, let some lovely stuff go).

Yay me! New clothes and appeased conscience and not spending all my money immediately after payday!

PS - I really did need them, I'm washing and wearing the same four items at present.

lookout123 07-29-2008 11:54 AM

Quote:

She could have changed it. Having two kids in the car would make that slightly less than ideal, though. My office is only five minutes from her gym. the real reason she didn't change the tire though is because a number of years ago, she had a flat tire in her truck, took it to the dealer for repairs and came home with a new Limited 4Runner. Impulse buys are definitely a big thing for her.

The Focus is something we'd talked about for awhile but hadn't pulled the trigger. Tire replacement was merely the catalyst.

Shawnee123 07-29-2008 11:57 AM

I impulse bought a scented candle the other day. Just some perspective. ;)

Sundae 07-29-2008 12:25 PM

Scented candles? You lucky bugger :p
Apart from second hand clothes, the the highlight of my week is going to Sainsbury's after work.
On my list are Basics Cat Litter (the Basics range is the cheapo pikey range, but the cats don't mind) and 20 Marlboro Lights for the tuck box - which will be reimbursed by the artists at 30p a time.
Everything else comes under the heading Not Necessary. Not Good For Me. Or both.

The above facts are true but the grumpiness is fake - I love my new clothes and I don't care who wore them before.
And I'm going home this weekend with my new haircut and new-to-me clothes. Yes they're for work, but my Mum loves to see me dressed nicely, so I might wear some of them. And she hasn't seen my new (last month) dress yet, so I'll wear that when we go out to dinner.

Actually, just realised - that has been making me happy all week. Can't wait to see them and celebrate my birthday.

lookout123 07-29-2008 01:46 PM

Even happier than fun new car you say? seeing the cost savings in having the smaller, gas sipping car, mrs L was motivated to actually sit down with me and look at our budget. with a little rearranging and elimination i've managed to cut about 20% out of our monthly budget in the last 24 hours. (including the car savings) so you see, the new car actually is a money saving move, not an extravagance, in case you were wondering about my impulse buying habits. ;)

Aliantha 07-29-2008 07:56 PM

I was just wondering why she didn't change the tyre herself. :)

I had a flat tyre the other day. Picked up a screw outside a construction site. What a surprise. It was a good opportunity to get the kids to change the tyre though. They were surprised how easy it was and did most of the job themselves. I was very proud of them. That made me happy that day.

The thing that's making me happy today is that I feel much better and seem to have stopped leaking. :)

HungLikeJesus 07-29-2008 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lookout123 (Post 472244)
... with a little rearranging and elimination i've managed to cut about 20% out of our monthly budget in the last 24 hours. ...

It's tough giving up the hoes, but I think you'll be glad you did.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aliantha (Post 472296)
I had a flat tyre the other day. Picked up a screw outside a construction site. ...
The thing that's making me happy today is that I feel much better and seem to have stopped leaking. :)

Until the last line, I assumed you meant that your car had a flat tire.