The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   What's making you happy today? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=14055)

DanaC 10-27-2012 03:24 PM

Ooooo good luck Sarge!

And yey, Infi.

My happy, and I'm sure this will come as a huge surprise, is Carrot related.

I haven't gone in for tricks much with Carrotchops. I did with Pilau, but this time around there were more pressing things on my mind than paw shaking and rolling over: this dog would be able to walk properly on a lead and behave himself in civilised company. Added to the odd responses to grooming and some other little ideosyncracies, and tricks just haven't been that high on the list.

I do a little with him, work it in to the day. But it's basic stuff, like lying down or waiting for something. Every so often I get him to give me his paw, but he doesn't really like doing it (possibly not helped by there being something seemingly a little amiss with his front left leg) and I generally have to gently tap the back of his leg to prompt him to do it.

Yesterday, we were playing, and I held my hand out and said 'paw' and he slapped his paw right into my hand. Just like that. I was delighted, gave him lots of praise, and then did it again. This time he slapped the other paw onto my hand. Ha.

Bit later I tried it again and he wouldn't do it without me prompting again. But just now, I held my hand out and said paw, and did it instantly.

It's a silly little thing, but it made me really happy.

orthodoc 10-27-2012 03:35 PM

Not silly! I love how you talk about Carrotchops, Dana - his personality comes across so well. And one of the best, purest pleasures is time spent with a happy canine friend.

infinite monkey 10-29-2012 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimhelm (Post 836037)
inf<

can you get her gig? also.... let's hope her replacement doesn't suck!

w00t for you!

I don't want that gig, and it's going to change, too. I also think they won't make that kind of mistake hiring that sort of person again. I like the research and compliance aspects of it but I'm not interested in the 'upward mobility' aspect of it...of anything anymore really. I just want to do my job well, to the capacity I am capable of...and I think that will happen. I want to do my job well, build up my retirement, and retire in comfort at the soonest possible moment...without considering driving my car into the retaining wall on the interstate on the way in.

There are so many things changing I'm not sure where we're going to end up, but certainly 'better' will be one outcome.

And, thanks. :)

Trilby 10-29-2012 11:43 AM

Yay infini! & yay carrott!

Aliantha 10-29-2012 07:05 PM

I'm happy sitting here in my loungeroom, not dealing with a natural disaster, with two contented midgets doing their own thing, two big boys at HS getting smarter, and a husband at work doing what he does best.

My life is pretty good atm.

eta: also, my house is pretty clean and tidy, and I even have the last load of washing on, and leftovers in the fridge for dinner tonight, so I have a nice relaxing, spend time with the midgets day ahead of me. :)

xoxoxoBruce 10-29-2012 08:48 PM

Again? Why you bum, you just relaxed a few months ago. :p:

Aliantha 10-29-2012 10:53 PM

haha...is that what you call it?

Seriously though, it's been a nice day so far. I just had a nap with the baby and now Max and I are having lunch and watching some telly. Max played the iPad while I was napping. I didn't mean to fall asleep, but I must have relaxed a little bit too much while I was putting the baby to sleep.

He's such a good boy. He was being all quiet and good for poor old Mummy. I'm a lucky woman.

Clodfobble 11-02-2012 04:25 PM

I'm going to my little brother's CD release concert tonight. He's been getting a ton of positive press around town. Plus, I never get to go out of the house, so I'm super excited!

BigV 11-02-2012 05:54 PM

I found my screwdrivers.

SonofV opened his laptop the other night--CRAACK--.

Bring it here. shitshitshitshitshit. Folks, you laptop folks, do yourself a favor and only open the screen from the center of the edge farthest from the hinge. Do not use one corner to adjust the angle. I know you want to keep your hand on the mouse or the track pad...

twisting teh screen relative to teh base of the laptop is like wringing it out. You will squeeze all the juicy pixels right out of the computer. And you won't like it.

I have been able to redeploy some of the screws in the bottom of his system and tighten several. It's in OK mode now, but I feel like lining the edges and corners with spikes. NO TOUCHY!

orthodoc 11-02-2012 07:04 PM

My oldest son passed the bar!!

Context - my son has faced numerous and prolonged health challenges that have taken a lot of courage and determination, on his part, to cope with. Happy is an understatement for what I'm feeling right now, for him. Almost shaky, almost in tears. Very very proud of him.

BigV 11-02-2012 07:42 PM

maximum congratulations!!!!

I heard a funny thing yesterday, a guy lecturing in a class full of law students near the end of their time in school. He said to the class "You think it was hard getting into law school? Just wait until you try to get *out*."

Please send along my good wishes for his good work. (and yours too mom!)

limey 11-02-2012 07:56 PM

Wow! Yay for proud parentness!

Sent by thought transference.

Griff 11-02-2012 07:57 PM

Bravo!

xoxoxoBruce 11-02-2012 10:16 PM

All you need is a daughter elected chief of an Indian tribe. :beer:

richlevy 11-02-2012 10:21 PM

My son got married today!!