The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   What's making you happy today? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=14055)

Cloud 05-03-2007 03:37 PM

What's making you happy today?

got my cat tree today. My boys are gonna luuuuuve me! Looks even better than the picture.

http://www.catsplay.com/thelucy.php3

elSicomoro 05-03-2007 03:43 PM

For a minute, I thought the words next to the cat tree said, "with optional rape post." Whoops!

I've had a good day thus far...I've eaten well, work has gone well, April and I are doing well. Can't complain yet. :)

Kitsune 05-03-2007 03:44 PM

Preparations for an upcoming roadtrip! :driving:

Suzana 05-03-2007 03:46 PM

Books!

I have filled up 11 boxes of winter blues books up and am taking them to the flea mart tomorrow...my home is sooooo big! I hope to box up at least 8 more boxes, but if not there is always Sunday!:yelgreedy

BigV 05-03-2007 03:59 PM

Payday. At least my creditors will be happy.

piercehawkeye45 05-03-2007 04:36 PM

My roommate leaving tomorrow.

cowhead 05-03-2007 05:48 PM

my cats and the roses I planted are doing well... the sunflowers and garlic as well...

Perry Winkle 05-03-2007 07:13 PM

it's "official"

Ibby 05-03-2007 08:33 PM

I danced with the cutest girl in the grade yesterday
and I'm still smiling

What can I say? I like pretty girls....

Clodfobble 05-03-2007 09:27 PM

I close on my new house tomorrow! I'm so excited! Then I get to go to IKEA and buy a bunch of new furniture for it. Whee!

Bullitt 05-03-2007 11:18 PM

We're in the same boat Ibram.. new girl new hope. :biggrin:

Also I'm leaving for Panama on Sunday at 7am :D

lumberjim 05-03-2007 11:39 PM

jinx

bluecuracao 05-03-2007 11:43 PM

Aww.

Monkeyboy makes me extremely happy.

kerosene 05-04-2007 12:09 AM

I had another one of those moments where I realized I live with the greatest friend I could ever imagine. I couldn't do anything but cry.:o

Weird Harold 05-04-2007 02:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cowhead (Post 340368)
my cats and the roses I planted are doing well... the sunflowers and garlic as well...

Reading stuff like this makes me happy. Cloud posts about her cat tree, and now some fool is planting cats.

bluecuracao 05-04-2007 03:02 AM

What?

Elspode 05-04-2007 06:29 AM

I'm up early preparing to head to the airport to pick up my friend Deb from Indianapolis, who is flying in for a weekend visit and party. It makes me happy, because I only see her every two or three years.

Deb is a member of what we jokingly call "The Pagan Mafia", a moniker hung on a group of us by a local Pagan troll. It is a rapidly shrinking group, as one member committed suicide five years ago, and another was shot dead by police last Sunday after shooting up the Ward Parkway Mall and murdering three people, so our gathering will be somewhat more somber than I'd anticipated. Still, I'm going to have a great time with Deb.

Cloud 05-04-2007 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clodfobble (Post 340421)
I close on my new house tomorrow! I'm so excited! Then I get to go to IKEA and buy a bunch of new furniture for it. Whee!

Congratulations! and -- I'm so envious!

LabRat 05-04-2007 10:43 AM

It's been a down week for me, so I brought in homemade milk chocolate covered strawberries to work. Seeing peoples faces and the thanks I am getting as I pass them out is picking me up nicely.

I ate too many of them last night to enjoy any today though....:greenface

Edit to add CONGRATS!!! to the Fobble Family! How fun!

jester 05-04-2007 10:52 AM

it's finally friday - yeah, but it's gonna be a long weekend.:rolleyes:

Hyoi 05-04-2007 01:00 PM

@ case........nice use of the palette knife. Have you ever done one exclusively with this technique?

piercehawkeye45 05-04-2007 01:27 PM

Unearth concert tonight.

And a good nap in about a half hour.

Cloud 05-04-2007 01:28 PM

homemade chocolate covered strawberries!

. . . where's mine!

kerosene 05-04-2007 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hyoi (Post 340606)
@ case........nice use of the palette knife. Have you ever done one exclusively with this technique?

Thanks!

Yes, I have. I will be getting new images of all of my paintings this weekend, so I will be sure to post it on my blog.

busterb 05-04-2007 08:05 PM

Knowing that Cloud has, will start a bunch of new threads today.

Cloud 05-04-2007 09:01 PM

erp? that I have what?

Clodfobble 05-04-2007 09:38 PM

Translation from busterspeak:

"It's making me happy today to know that Cloud has started, and will continue to start, a bunch of new threads today."

(It's a compliment on your threads. :))

Cloud 05-04-2007 10:08 PM

Thank you! I like to start new threads, because I feel that I contribute to the forum that way. Some bomb, some take off--and not always the ones I expect. :)

Griff 05-05-2007 08:56 AM

Sunny and 60+ F :)

I'll piggyback here. I appreciate your tone Cloud.

Hime 05-05-2007 09:26 AM

This morning my fiance woke me up with a big smile on his face and told me that he'd dreamed that we were married and had a beautiful baby girl who looked just like me. :o

Cloud 05-05-2007 09:51 AM

awwwww, Hime!

thanks, Griff!

Sundae 05-06-2007 07:53 AM

I am in London at my soon-to-be home and my cats haven't yet fought with my housemate's cat - just a few hisses and stand-offs. And my new housemate likes my boys and now seems to want it to work as much as I do. AND I got a text from one of the bestest people I know yesterday, calling me by my Cellar name and saying she was just waiting for her log-in to be confirmed. Fingers crossed she'll be here posting soon.

Oh and it's a Sunday, I'm posting and I have a cat on my lap. That's pretty damn good.

wolf 05-06-2007 01:10 PM

I am going to dinner tonight with a friend I haven't seen for a while.

She may "force" me to drink a margarita.

zippyt 05-06-2007 01:26 PM

Lets see,
Friday , my step daughter had her pinning from nurses school ,
Saterday , She graduated from collage , dinner with her and her fiancee and his parents , it turns out we know a few of the same folks , small world ain't it !!!
Sunday , wake up , coffie , back to bed for a while ;) , breakfast , then,,,,,
well the day is still young !!!

Beestie 05-06-2007 06:52 PM

A beautiful Spring day with my beautiful wife and my two bootiful young'uns and some good friends.

Knowing that we are going to the beach in two weeks. For a week. Knowing that I will finish three projects before going to the beach so that I can relax for once.

Oh, and congrats on the new house, CF. New houses are the bomb. We bought a new one last April and still enjoy it like we bought it yesterday. It was my tenth anniversay present to SWMBO.

Griff 05-06-2007 07:59 PM

Lil'Pete really had a nice* day of fencing today, with lil'Griff cheering her on, and Pete is getting Kiwis and lilacs for Mothers Day.

*she kicked aaaaaassssssssssss!

Kitsune 05-06-2007 08:38 PM

A freshly cleaned house, a nice Florida afternoon rain shower, and the documentary One Six Right on television.

kerosene 05-07-2007 01:09 AM

Dakota and I made a 5' X 5' canvas this weekend and I just got the first coat of gesso on it.

Aliantha 05-07-2007 01:11 AM

cosmopolitans are making me happy today.

Hyoi 05-07-2007 06:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by case (Post 340718)
Thanks!

Yes, I have. I will be getting new images of all of my paintings this weekend, so I will be sure to post it on my blog.

You have both talent and skill. "Jungle Hunt" is fascinating.

kerosene 05-07-2007 08:34 AM

Thank you, and thanks for checking back! I really need to post more on my blog. I wanted to talk more about the large piece I am about to begin, but it was midnight and I was exhausted.

Anyway, I may quit my job, here soon so I can paint full time.

Hyoi 05-07-2007 09:30 AM

Anyway, I may quit my job, here soon so I can paint full time.......case

This being the "What makes you happy?" thread, quitting jobs always made me happy!

And often praise can seem disingenuous, but I've had a bit of training meself. Is it o.k. if an engineer appreciates art?

kerosene 05-07-2007 06:46 PM

The initial quitting makes me happy, but the aftereffects are not so much fun. (Panic about what to do for money?)

Thanks for appreciating my art, Hyoi. It truly means alot...especially from an engineer. :D

Hyoi 05-08-2007 10:50 AM

Have you considered opening your own studio? Bringing in a few students? Might be something you could operate on weekends until your clientele builds up.

There's truly nothing so satisfying as having your job and joy be the same thing.

jester 05-08-2007 05:27 PM

my son did great in football practice today - he got moved up to 2nd string:D

GO BIG E

SteveDallas 05-08-2007 08:15 PM

I look to be able to balance my checkbook without vomiting this month.

monster 05-08-2007 08:41 PM

My 5yo has been wanting his hair dyed red for a while. I offered to do it today as i was doing mine while he was around. He ended up going for the full red, purple and blue. It looks great, really suits his personality too... I thought it would either wash straight out or look awful. he looks rather like me, actually, but way cuter.

kerosene 05-08-2007 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hyoi (Post 341573)
Have you considered opening your own studio? Bringing in a few students? Might be something you could operate on weekends until your clientele builds up.

There's truly nothing so satisfying as having your job and joy be the same thing.

That's a neat idea. I might do that. I thought about teaching art classes for kids. Right now, my studio is in the house, but I am meeting alot of other artists in Denver. We are forming a collective, of sorts, comprised of artists.

HungLikeJesus 05-08-2007 10:13 PM

I just spoke to my wife, who is travelling in PR this week.

HungLikeJesus 05-10-2007 02:31 PM

105 miles per gallon driving to work today. Breaking 100 mpg usually signals the beginning of warm weather.

LabRat 05-14-2007 01:44 PM

What distance is it to work for you? (I can't remember if you mentioned that already) How does warm weather increase your gas mileage (besides having to let it idle to warm up in the winter)? Is that typical for a Prius? Wow.

Oh, and what's making me happy?

AAAaaahhhh. The silence of a campus that first Monday after finals. Buh-bye annoying obnoxious co-eds. See you in the fall :).

Shawnee123 05-14-2007 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LabRat (Post 343215)

Oh, and what's making me happy?

AAAaaahhhh. The silence of a campus that first Monday after finals. Buh-bye annoying obnoxious co-eds. See you in the fall :).

Lucky you. Finals and graduation last week...summer interim starts today. Classes all the way through. And they close the cafeteria for the summer. Never thought I'd wish I were a cafeteria lady.

HungLikeJesus 05-14-2007 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LabRat (Post 343215)
What distance is it to work for you? (I can't remember if you mentioned that already) How does warm weather increase your gas mileage (besides having to let it idle to warm up in the winter)? Is that typical for a Prius? Wow.

LR - my drive to work is 19 or 20 miles (depending on route). I have an Insight, not a Prius (whenever I see one of those I say "gas hog," which makes my wife laugh).

My house is about 2500 feet higher than where I work, so there is a lot of downhill on the way in. Coming home I usually struggle to get over 50 mpg.

I don't fully understand why the mileage is so much worse in the cold weather (usually under 90 mpg on the commute in). It's partly because everything is tighter when it's cold (bearings, pistons, etc.) and partly because the engine idles very high for the first few minutes. But I almost never let the car warm up. If I could, I'd push it to the end of the driveway and not start it until the bottom of the first hill. But it's really just a game - the Insight game - the difference between 110 mpg and 90 mpg is only about 0.04 gallon for that distance.

I'm about to drive to Cheyenne, Wyoming. I'll see how it does.

LabRat 05-14-2007 02:49 PM

Oh, sorry! :blush: I need to google the two.

What do you say when you see an Expedition or H2? :D --

That reminds me, I saw a black H2 with an Iowa Hawkeye vanity plate "GR1FF" again this morning. I need to bring my camera with me to catch him some morning and give our Griff some shit. Heh.

HungLikeJesus 05-14-2007 03:02 PM

LR - There is an H1 (which is bigger than an H2) in our parking lot at work. The owner is a skinny little guy who looks like an accountant. One day when I came out to my car he was sitting next to me, then drove over the curb to show off.

My wife calls any SUV a BUT (Big Ugly Truck). And she doesn't say it with affection. Personally, I think SUVs make the driver's butt look big.

Kitsune 05-14-2007 03:04 PM

Memories of a decent weekend that included lots of food, good drinks, and a cigar on 7th street in Ybor.

xoxoxoBruce 05-14-2007 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HLJ (Post 343227)
I don't fully understand why the mileage is so much worse in the cold weather (usually under 90 mpg on the commute in).

Cold air in denser. That means it's harder to push through and more fuel must be added to keep the air fuel ratio the same. Theoretically the denser air with more fuel will make more power but that's a moot point on the downhill. When the tires are cold they use more energy to flex unless they are inflated rock hard. Cold has a lot of insidious ways of killing mileage.

DucksNuts 05-14-2007 06:10 PM

I'm leaving work early to go to see Pink, and I have a new hot date with a guy that WOULD be good for me. :)

Cloud 05-14-2007 07:36 PM

good for you DucksNuts! I like Pink--I think she's talented and underrated. Let us know how the concert/date goes please?

I'm happy 'cause I made delicious homemade chili and I'm gonna have chili-spaghetti for dinner.

Aliantha 05-14-2007 08:22 PM

I've just arrived home after 5 days away to find my house amazingly clean considering it's just been my husband and two sons here while I was gone. There were also chocolates and jewelery waiting for me although I'm not going to inspect them closely till they all get home tonight.

My life is good. :)