The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   What's making you happy today? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=14055)

monster 05-02-2011 02:39 PM

cool. and belated happy birthday.

lookout123 05-02-2011 02:43 PM

Thanks. just another day since I stopped aging at 29... but the kindle is sweet.

Sundae 05-02-2011 02:50 PM

Ditto Monster.
I'm holding off on the Kindle (as I have far better things to spend the money on - SEE ABOVE!) but I get your point and it's a wondrous present.

Happy 29th babba.

Big Sarge 05-02-2011 07:19 PM

Happy B'day!!

Sundae - thank you so much for listening to my problems when we talked today. I feel so guilty about hogging the conversation when you had a crisis with Diz. Next time let me know.

footfootfoot 05-03-2011 01:03 PM

Griff,
'Fresh' is not a word that wold come to my mind when discussing goats, but Mazel Tov! anyway.

Sundae 05-03-2011 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Sarge (Post 729933)
Sundae - thank you so much for listening to my problems when we talked today. I feel so guilty about hogging the conversation when you had a crisis with Diz. Next time let me know.

Oh no, crisis was in the future at that point.
It went from me hearing him choking to getting to the vet within 20 minutes - and I wouldn't have been talking coherently on the phone at that point.

You didn't hog the conversation and I was happy to listen.

I'm happy today because we have two new trainee teachers on placement in my class. This means there are 5 adults for a room of 30 children! and I have the potential for lots more time with Tiger. Because my role is partly to develop his independence, when we are not working one to one I take on general teaching assistant tasks, like taking a group (Phonics, Numeracy or Writing), working on the craft table or supervising outside. However with two extra bodies I can join the table at which he's working, as he is now used to my presence, and I don't work with him exclusively at these times.

For example this morning I joined him working on the concept of time. The children were cutting out black house shapes and sticking on yellow windows and doors, all the while discussing whether this was a house at night, during the day, why do you switch your lights on, when do you go to bed etc. Because he is both meticulous and doesn't have very good dexterity, he needed to stay behind to finish while the other children moved on. I was able to keep him on task (for example adapting the song 10 Green Bottles for the amount of windows he had left to stick on) without making him feel he was been punished.

But I also worked with K - again fine motor skills not his forte, but a rusher. And Z, whose house was an amorphous blob but his windows were perfect squares (?). And Tennant, one of Tiger's friends, who told me a complicated story about how to lock his back door, but came up with a perfectly standard house - the only one on the table that wouldn't need a thorough explanation :)

Just a good day at work, but I wanted to share it.

limey 05-03-2011 01:30 PM

There's nothing like a good day at work, is there? Mine today consisted of polishing the translation of words for a Heavy Metal song from Russian to English (another of my efforts can be found here, track name "What eternity holds/be yourself"), and now I'm onto the niceties of the distinction between two accounting terms in relation to an insurance claim.

Aliantha 05-03-2011 08:02 PM

We don't use lanterns anymore. We've been using those LED UFO lights. They're awesome for camping. no fuss and no need to carry fuel. Just tie up in a tree or whatever and you have plenty of light to cook by. We also have one that we tie up in the tent.

I don't think we'll ever buy another lantern.

footfootfoot 05-03-2011 08:15 PM

If you stop buying lanterns then lantern makers will go out of business then lanterns will eventually become unavailable then cows will not be able to kick over lanterns and set the barn on fire then sparks form the barn will not be able to burn the city of Chicago down.

Is that what you really want?

Aliantha 05-03-2011 08:43 PM

Well, maybe not exactly, but if it happens to be the end result of Bin Laden dying then that's the way it has to be!

infinite monkey 05-04-2011 09:39 AM

Late last night
When we were all in bed
Old Lady Leary lit a lantern in the shed
And when the cow kicked it over
She winked her eye and said
"It'll be a hot time, in the old town, tonight."

(FIRE FIRE FIRE)

DanaC 05-04-2011 01:06 PM

I just ordered take-out. It'll be here in *checks clock* about 15 mins.

Southern fried chicken: three pieces, three hotwings, some chicken bites, baked beans, onion rings, fries and two dips.

Oh God, i am soooooo hungry. I've eaten fuck all all day. I made myself have a complan meal drink about two hours ago. I have however had several beers. So, i am drunk and hungry. Mmmmmmm....chicken...mmmm.

infinite monkey 05-04-2011 01:18 PM

NOTHING better than fried chicky and beer. NOTHING.

When y'all come to the states we'll go to the Wooden Shoe Inn. You'll LOVE it. :)

monster 05-04-2011 01:25 PM

monster HUNGRY!

bacon and hash browns is weight-loss food, right?

infinite monkey 05-04-2011 01:28 PM

Sure, a shot glass of each.