The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Parenting (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   My Kid is a Damn Nutter (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=18924)

Undertoad 01-27-2016 10:56 PM

order'd

xoxoxoBruce 01-28-2016 01:46 AM

Amazon says April 11th to 15th.

Griff 01-28-2016 06:18 AM

I can't wait to read it!

Beestie 01-28-2016 06:38 AM

Clodfobble - that is impressive on so many levels and in so many ways.

I'm buying mine now before you get famous and the price goes up.

Clodfobble 01-29-2016 08:43 AM

I just got my first piece of hate mail!

So this guy wrote yesterday:

Quote:

Hi

Someone sent me a link to your book/site. I was really surprised to see your site contains no easily accessible way to see what the GFCF diet even is, or why people should follow it. Some advice from someone who has been there - get a description or even a link (but that would lose you CPM) up FAST before the book drops so people know what you're talking about. Maybe an excerpt from the book, which must contain this information?

Best of luck with your book.
I assumed he was a "give me money and I'll help you promote your site" guy, because I get those on a fairly regular basis. But it was at least personalized instead of generic, so I wrote back:

Quote:

Hi J,

Well the truth is, we've moved beyond the GFCF diet, as detailed in this post here:

http://www.thegfcflady.com/2013/12/0...se-confession/

The book does contain a little information about the GFCF diet, but only as one step on our journey. I'm very much not about telling other people what they should do, or trying to convince them of anything. I just don't have the stomach for it. The memoir really is about the whole story, not just one (of several) diets we did. But rest assured, there will be an excerpt posted on www.goodreads.com soon, as well as on other major news outlets. The publisher has whole marketing teams to take care of that. Thanks for your suggestions, and I hope you like the book!

Jennifer
And then... things escalated quickly.

Quote:

Whole marketing teams! My goodness!

Oh, I have no intention of reading it. I was just curious as to how someone would proclaim herself "The X Lady" with a website and a supporting book, yet never bother to describe what the hell the X is and why one would have, or not, tried it. You further confuse the reader by not making it clear that you have currently sidestepped away from the quackery of your book. Because if it weren't quackery, you'd still be following it...right? I will, instead of looking for it on Goodreads, instead look for it on Quackwatch.com. I'd bet $10 you're an anti-vaxxer, too. Oh, and I might be blogging about it, too.

Blocking your email, you parasitic pathogen.

Sundae 01-29-2016 09:00 AM

Yeah. I'm blocking you on the Cellar too, Clod.
Because nothing you've written has been intelligent, or considered, or insightful or interesting. Oh, and I've never read any of your posts. You quacker.

PS, well done you for not including any of his details - there are some people here who would get offensive on him otherwise. No, not me. Ahem. No of course not. (Stupid arsehole)

I am receiving the book as a gift, which is putting someone else's money where my mouth is, but I can't wait to read it.

glatt 01-29-2016 09:05 AM

Not sure if I should congratulate you or not.

I have a local writer friend, and she agonizes over comments. I guess you have to. I'd like to think I would ignore them but probably wouldn't.

Clodfobble 01-29-2016 09:15 AM

This one's pretty easy to ignore, because he initially lied about his intentions and thus obviously had a plan to hate me from the beginning. Someone who actually read it, then hated it, I'll have a harder time ignoring. But even then, I know better than to respond. Fools arguing, and all that. Honestly, though, it's kind of a good sign that it came so soon, because it means people I really don't know have already heard about it.

Undertoad 01-29-2016 09:36 AM

They want you to have an emotional reaction, Clod; they are highly charged and they want your emotional devastation. Because this is where we are now; it's Eternal September and the n00bs do not know how to discuss things. They believe that if they make you feel bad and kill yourself, they have won. They do not know that the problem is within as much as out.

WW3 is a comments section, the war is fought over beliefs and the shells are threats and hatred. And once again we find that the only island of sanity is a small forum populated by people you know, and may actually give a shit about, and who may actually give a shit about you.

Clodfobble 01-29-2016 02:04 PM

I'm actually suspecting that it's from the author of quackwatch himself. That guy's old, and young people don't say things like "quackery," or "which must contain this information" as a question, or think $10 is a lot of money to wager on something.

Griff 01-29-2016 03:36 PM

Congrats! You made the big time! You have your own personal crazy person.

BigV 02-02-2016 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Griff (Post 952465)
Congrats! You made the big time! You have your own personal crazy person.

*THIS* part made me laugh!

Dear Clodfobble,

I will urge my friends at my local bookstore, Phinney Books, to carry several copies. The owners are friends of mine, they live four houses down.

I will be placing my instructions with them this week.

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Beestie 02-18-2016 12:30 PM

Ran across this article which seems promising in certain situations.

Neuroscientists reverse autism symptoms

Frig it - can't post a link- here is the url

http://medicalxpress.com/news/2016-0...-symptoms.html

Clodfobble 02-18-2016 07:48 PM

Gene therapy is cool, but it's annoying that they keep saying "autism" when what they mean is "a very specific 1% of autistic individuals and none of the rest of them." They've known about the Shank3 gene for a long time, just like they know about Fragile X. It's basically considered its own disorder: when participating in a research study, they will ask you at the beginning if you've ever been diagnosed with Fragile X, Shank3, PKU, and a few others, and you'll be disqualified if so.

xoxoxoBruce 02-19-2016 12:24 AM

Gosh, you're pretty smart, you should write a book. :haha: