The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Quality Images and Videos (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Philthy's phlying phenanagans (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=34022)

plthijinx 01-16-2019 11:01 PM

Philthy's phlying phenanagans

I've been rather busy these last 3.5 years being sober now and all. I've come to realize a long term dream of mine that enables me to make money at my passion - flying - and what's even better about that is most of my flights involve transporting surgical teams for organ donor transplants.

My new office is now a fleet of two Hawker 800A's. They are truly great aircraft that are in the mid-sized jet category with a mtow (maximum take-off weight) of 28,000lbs and a max landing weight of 23,500 lbs.

I just started taking my gopro along on trips and here is the first one I put together from the return flight from the Grand Cayman Islands Owen Roberts International where I was the pilot flying. There will be plenty more, but like I mentioned, this is the first of what I hope to be many that I will post here. (this flight was the 1 out of 10 that was a normal charter and not a medical team)

take-off Grand Cayman, cuts to flying over Clear Lake in Houston, then final approach to rwy 4 at Houston Hobby. Note the sun is setting behind us and the shadow make the vid, I think.

xoxoxoBruce 01-16-2019 11:11 PM

Quote:

The total annual budget for flying a Hawker 800A private jet 200 hours per year is approximately $933,541 or $1,480,088 for flying 400 hours per year. The maximum speed of the Hawker 800A is 509 mph, but with slower climb, cruise and descending speeds it is more likely to average 407 mph which would equate to an average cost per mile of approximately $11.46 at 200 hours per year. If you fly 400 hours per year, you can spread the total fixed costs over more flight hours which reduces your cost per mile to $9.09.

These budgets do not include the cost to purchase the jet, depreciation or the cost of capital (interest payments.)
link

I guess joy rides. and impress the chick rides, are kept to a minimum. ;)

plthijinx 01-16-2019 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce (Post 1023370)
link

I guess joy rides. and impress the chick rides, are kept to a minimum. ;)

it's not cheap, lol!!

plthijinx 01-16-2019 11:31 PM

4 Attachment(s)
About 2 or 3 weeks ago, we had a flight to Tulsa and the weather was very IFR (instrument conditions).
The following pics are on the return flight to Houston flying through the clouds and one thing about a Hawker is the wires in the heated windshield tend to be a catalyst for St. Elmo's Fire - or static buildup and discharge across the windscreen which, at first, can be kind of freaky and actually scare the shit out of you if you don't know what it is. I grabbed my phone and started videoing them one by one and then screen shot them to stills. enjoy!

plthijinx 01-16-2019 11:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
last one

xoxoxoBruce 01-16-2019 11:34 PM

Is that right on the glass or back off it an inch, 2 inches, or more?

plthijinx 01-16-2019 11:37 PM

it appeared to be right on it and stemming from the bolts/rivets on the center post

Griff 01-17-2019 06:50 AM

Whoa, that's cool. Welcome back P.

plthijinx 01-17-2019 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Griff (Post 1023393)
Whoa, that's cool. Welcome back P.

thank ya sir! :thumb:

Happy Monkey 01-17-2019 11:41 AM

Try bolting a block of wood to the windshield.

Diaphone Jim 01-17-2019 12:35 PM

Lotta flaps.

glatt 01-17-2019 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by plthijinx (Post 1023373)
one thing about a Hawker is the wires in the heated windshield tend to be a catalyst for St. Elmo's Fire - or static buildup and discharge across the windscreen which, at first, can be kind of freaky and actually scare the shit out of you if you don't know what it is.

Holy shit! That's amazing.

Gravdigr 01-17-2019 01:17 PM

Thanks for that Philthy.

Great choice in Floyd for the music, btw.

Any particular reason ya took that right turn, instead of a left, from Owen Roberts, other than that's what they told ya to do?

We know ya got a life and all, but, we've missed you.:)

Big Sarge 01-18-2019 04:23 AM

Those photos of St Elmo's fire are awesome!

plthijinx 01-21-2019 01:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy Monkey (Post 1023404)
Try bolting a block of wood to the windshield.

super cool, i'll try that! :thumbsup: :shocking: :lol:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gravdigr (Post 1023415)
Thanks for that Philthy.

Great choice in Floyd for the music, btw.

Any particular reason ya took that right turn, instead of a left, from Owen Roberts, other than that's what they told ya to do?

We know ya got a life and all, but, we've missed you.:)

Floyd seemed appropriate, glad you liked it!

We were instructed to intercept the 215 radial off the vor, to do this it required a right turn. I hand flew it up to about 15,000 then let George (autopilot) take over until we got back to Houston then I hand flew it from base leg on to touchdown.

These last three and a half years have been busy busy busy. Between my alcohol recovery, flying, and engineering - I hardly have had time to sleep! Now though, I've only my pinky toe in engineering and am all but out of it completely which actually frees up some time. I've missed y'all as well!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Diaphone Jim (Post 1023410)
Lotta flaps.

yep, 45 degrees, then upon landing we extend the air brakes and put them into "lift dump" which extends the flaps from 45 degrees to 75 degrees and hyper-extends the air-brake spoilers on the wings which is very efficient

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Sarge (Post 1023470)
Those photos of St Elmo's fire are awesome!

I freakin' love it!! Only thing I don't care for with it is we do run the risk of loosing our radios. Great to see you Sarge!