The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Health (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=34936)

BigV 03-23-2020 09:30 PM

I found this informative:

BigV 03-23-2020 09:49 PM

This was also worthy:

xoxoxoBruce 03-24-2020 12:53 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 70091
3 hours in the air so is 2m enough?
4 hours on copper so cover every often touched surface with copper foil.
24 hours on cardboard so let those Amazon boxes sit on the porch for a day.
3 days on stainless and plastic so wipe those bad boys with some of that booze you're swigging.

glatt 03-24-2020 07:17 AM

“Up to” 3 hours.

Truth is, the virus starts “dying” almost immediately. If you looked at a graph of the number of live viruses on a surface after a person sneezes on it, it would look like a graph of the stock market over the last week. The number of living viruses begins plummeting almost immediately.

But sure, wash your hands. Don’t lick the pizza box.

Luce 03-24-2020 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Undertoad (Post 1049072)
It's true. The national stockpile is 75 million masks.

But they are just for emergencies

This just made me want to beat my head against my monitor. Thanks for bringing that up.

Luce 03-24-2020 09:26 AM

Arizona still has very few cases, and people are generally acting right, so no lockdowns yet (though bars, restaurants, etc are closed and they are considering assigning times to people for grocery shopping and pharmacies.)

Carruthers 03-24-2020 10:25 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Perhaps it isn't the time for levity, but the title of this article made me smile.

Attachment 70098

Quote:

We will have to get used to this.
Every afternoon the prime minister strides into a butterscotch room in Downing Street and stands at a lectern between two drooping flags to give the latest dolorous news to an uncertain nation.
How ironic that Boris, who instinctively loathes ‘doomsters and gloomsters’, is obliged to play the mortician’s bean--counter and recite the daily tallies of the infected and the dead.

He’s flanked by the best brains in the land. On the right, Sir Patrick Vallance, the government’s top scientific adviser.
To the left, Professor Chris Whitty, the chief medical officer. They wear the usual suit-and-tie uniform of reassuring officialdom. And both men stand a few inches taller than the Prime Minister.
Theatre directors call this the ‘stage picture’, meaning the visual contours that show the relative status of the characters in a scene.
Link. Five free articles are available.

Gravdigr 03-24-2020 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glatt (Post 1049191)
Don’t lick the pizza box.

Don't lick the--Dammit!!:mad2:

Luce 03-24-2020 11:22 AM

Quote:

Don’t lick the pizza box.

That's not living.

sexobon 03-24-2020 12:50 PM

The Cellar: This is the dawning of the age of aquariums

Quote:

Fearing coronavirus, Arizona man dies after taking a form of chloroquine used in aquariums

A Phoenix-area man is dead and his wife is under critical care after the two took chloroquine phosphate in an apparent attempt to self-medicate for the novel coronavirus, according to hospital system Banner Health.

It does not appear they took the pharmaceutical version of the drug, but rather "an additive commonly used at aquariums to clean fish tanks," Banner Health said in a statement. ...

fargon 03-24-2020 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sexobon (Post 1049219)
The Cellar: This is the dawning of the age of aquariums

Some people are just smart enough to be dangerous.

tw 03-24-2020 04:10 PM

Touch a chicken to spread that chicken grease on your hands. How long does it take your soap to remove that grease? That is how long one must wash hands with that brand soap.

Many soaps are poor. Feel diluted. A test says which soaps will better remove that infectious protein. Many soaps from dispensers really do not clean very well.

Nobody is killing a virus. A virus really does not live. That protein must be damaged or it must be removed. Removing (with better and more abrasive soaps) does more.

tw 03-24-2020 04:26 PM

Quote:

The number of living viruses begins plummeting almost immediately.

Unfortunately, those other viruses are not so contagious. And more people have immunity to many of them. Nobody has immunity to this virus that is also so contagious.

xoxoxoBruce 03-24-2020 04:50 PM

My question is do the folks that have recovered have immunity now?
I've heard yes and no.

Went to the drugstore, sign out front that they would bring it out to your car or to home if you felt sick.
Table right inside the door with instructions but I didn't get a chance to read them before the girl up front came over gave be a squirt of hand cleaner and ushered me back toward the pharmacy. She, like everyone, was wearing a mask, so I told her I was pretty deaf and read lips. She lifted her mask to apologize. I said gotcha. Fuck CVS, this pharmacy has personality.

Undertoad 03-24-2020 05:12 PM

Re-infection: best current information is looking like no, based on early rhesus monkey tests

although the virus is likely to mutate and come back somewhat differently if seasonal and let's just not think about that part of this right now