The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   What's making you happy today? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=14055)

limey 05-09-2012 04:00 PM

Sundae - don't smother that tiny, weeny spark, because you are the person that is supporting him, and very few people could actually do that job.
Be proud. You deserve to be.

Sundae 05-10-2012 12:47 PM

Today, Mars acknowledged that I had been off school.
He was trying to negotiate an extra session of Friendship Club - the structured social activity we have every Wednesday afternoon (with three other children).

Which really pleased me - first he did notice my absence.
Second he actually enjoys Friendship Club - bearing in mind it replaced a session of play this is such a positive step.

I had to admit I wasn't sure if we could fit it in, but I said I would try.
It's hard to find a room on a Friday, and it eats into PE time, which means the children have one eye on the clock. But I will try.

Sundae 05-17-2012 01:53 PM

Tiger's animal collage today.

And the school is running a Reading Bug theme, so all the full time staff and teachers have been photographed holding up a favourite book from childhood. The Reception teachers have chosen books like The Tiger Who Came To Tea or We're Going on a Bear Hunt but those of us who work with more than one class have more leeway.

The children's books most precious to me I read at 10-11, so they're nearly out of the range of the school. But I managed to settle on Which Witch by Eva Ibbotsen. I read it at 9 which is still a compromise, but it is in the school library.

I have yet to find my picture and speech bubble - I am assured it is up!
I want to take Tiger to see it. He'll get a kick out of that. Also Rabbit, who needs a lot of reading encouragement, and is not always aware of his environment. I know he will be amazed when he realises there are photos of the staff on the walls. Bless him, he'll probably stop and talk to them. But if I can get across the idea they are talking about books he should enjoy the concept.

Tiger will be more interested. He'll probably just be intrigued by simply finding them at first, but I'm sure he'll relate to the fact that faces he knows are holding up books. And that he will recognise some of them. Not Which Witch though...

DanaC 05-17-2012 03:52 PM

I remember Which Witch!!!

Sundae 05-18-2012 01:24 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Urgh - found the photo of me with the book. It's in the library, well off the main drag.
I'd be tempted to move it into a corridor if it was reasonable, but I look like a boiled testicle. In a wig.

Tiger's collage animals from yesterday.
I helped with the croc's spine - we had no fabric scissors and he was really struggling with the felt. Everything else from concept to drawing, choosing materials and glueing (and obviously spelling) were all independent.

glatt 05-18-2012 01:41 PM

those are cute!

ZenGum 05-18-2012 06:50 PM

I'm glad he understands that crocodiles have cloos and not tees on their fet!

limey 05-19-2012 03:28 AM

I love the way he's spelled "iys" - absolutely perfect!

Sundae 05-19-2012 06:12 AM

"Srptff" is hidden by the green paper.
Sharp teeth of course.
Logical, phonetic spelling.

Today I am happy as the 'rents are away for 5 nights.
Huzzah!
The house is filled with the smell of garlic and onion as I marinate chicken for my guest this evening, Mrs G. Coming round to watch DVDs with me. Will be all teen angst horror stylee, but I can deal with that.

I was attempting Peri-Peri, but as I simply memorised the ingredients from a bottle of sauce in a shop, I have a feeling I may not have achieved a completely traditional outcome. Never mind. Garlic chicken salad with a chilli bite will still be yummy. And after all, a marinade does not equal the final flavour, being just an infustion.

Note to self. Recipe next time for goodness sake.

DanaC 05-19-2012 06:43 AM

Sounds like fun chika!

Nowt wrong with teeny angst horror if you approach it with a forgiving eye and an appreciation for cheddar :p

Turns out it would have been a bad idea for me to come down to yours right now after all. Carrot is poorly. Would have hated him to be poorly with me not here!

Sundae 05-28-2012 12:43 PM

School May Fayre yesterday.
Forgot my camera (idiot!) which is a real shame as we had a cloudless blue sky and the photos would have looked amazing colour-wise.

It went well though.
My bro turned up, which was a lovely surprise.
Mum came too - which again was nice as she said she would and then attempted to back out at the last minute. Pleased she changed her mind, and I'm sure she saw the genuine pleasure on my face when I saw her.

£3,400 profit. Cool potatoes.

I ran the Refreshments Stall (aka cakes, tea & coffee, ice lollies) from set-up until 12.30, sometimes alone. I was lucky in that the hot weather meant a shorter queue for hot drinks, but it was full-on. I'm proud of myself. I only intended to volunteer, as in help, but next year I won't stress about putting myself forward to manage as I was perfectly capable.

Mrs G bought my coffee & walnut cake sight-unseen (I kept all my cakes in the fridge).
Ste bought my carrot cake - bless him, he could have one for free any weekend.
And Rabbit's Mum bought my chocolate cake. It was effectively the chocolate layer of my very special Chocolate Caramel cake x 2. So less icing, no caramel filling and only 3 eggs. A discount version if you like, but still a fantastically rich cake.

All three purchases made me happy for slightly different reasons.
And the fact I made £15 for the school was a boost too.

I made choc-coffee fairy cakes later that afternoon for Mum.
I had some coffee icing leftover in the fridge; in the end I simply could not pile any more onto the cake! It stretched quite well. Mum's been scoffing them and Maureen took some home too.

I did think about sending some to Limes & Dani, but buttercream icing simply would not travel in this heat. We're keeping them in the fridge as it is.

limey 05-28-2012 04:44 PM

I could've told you'd manage perfectly well! Step up for it next year, and sneak it into your CV. x

Sent by thought transference

fargon 05-30-2012 12:38 PM

Keryx got home last Thursday and the computer took a shit that morning. I just got it back. The fan connection got loose. It only cost me $131.00 to get that fixed, it is probably something that was not rite from the factory.

Keryx had a good trip and a nice visit with her extended family. And I am glad to have her home. Pic's to follow.

Bullitt 06-02-2012 02:46 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Got my new bike all outfitted, ready to go to Mid-Ohio race track next weekend

DanaC 06-02-2012 05:03 AM

Very cool!