The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   What's making you happy today? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=14055)

orthodoc 07-01-2012 07:34 PM

Okay, regretting, regretting, regretting ... :vomitblu:

plthijinx 07-01-2012 07:37 PM

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Sundae 07-02-2012 02:41 PM

Lovely lady at work told me I've made this term bearable for her.
I mean, not me personally, but my cakes. Still - she sees it as the same thing.

She has had a tough term, uncertaincy about her future, long term illness of her class teacher (who she works with very well) which meant a succession of fill-ins and temps, and eventually discovering he had accepted a promotion at another school. Not connected to his illness, but it meant things went from bad to worse for her.

She said even when things were grim she had an element of hope coming in on a Monday morning, wondering if I had made something.

She's said something similar before, but I know she genuinely means it. Things are better for her now at work as the replacement is named and she knows her. Also her job is no longer in jeopardy; it never was but communication was poor for a while.

It really made me day.
I will bake next week even if it is cupcakes.
I might try the Olympic rings. If I don't get slapped with a suit for copyright infringement that is!
(note, the above is from The Mail, so I take my icing with a pinch of salt)

Aliantha 07-03-2012 12:50 AM

I received a lovely card in the mail today from Sundae's Mum thanking me for our lunch date. It made my day. :)

Gravdigr 07-03-2012 12:27 PM

What's making me happy today?

Fred helping his friend.

DanaC 07-03-2012 02:07 PM

Yeah. Thta's been making me smile quite a bit.

Two things are making me happy right now. 1st I managed to get in to see the dermatology doctor at my practice. She's really good. I was pretty sure I knew what I was looking at as it seems very similar to what went on with my skin about 18 months back. But I wanted to make sure. And yes, it does seem to be an underlying viral infection which is causiong the continued itch and reinfection (bacterial). So, I have antivirals and am feeling a little more in control of the situation again.

2nd: Carrot's been really funny the last few days. He's such a little comedian. And if he does something that makes me laugh my laughing makes him do it more :p proper little character he is.

plthijinx 07-03-2012 05:58 PM

reading this thread. awww shucks!

i'm tired as all get out but smiling the whole time.

now it's time to go make supper. fresh atlantic salmon with dill, salad and rolls

Gravdigr 07-03-2012 06:12 PM

We had chicken, pintos, and fresh corn on the cob. :yum:

Sundae 07-04-2012 02:05 AM

I thought I'd been gypped by a website I use.
Despite entering a coupon code, the free item I was expecting did not appear on the invoice.
I emailed the Customer Service Dept immediately, saying that if the free item was not available I wanted to lower the value of my order - I needed everything I had ordered, but not all at that precise time. I ordered more than usual to claim the free gift.

I had an email response to say they had entered the relevant code for me.
Huh?
The next response was to tell me my parcel was despatched. I read both mails at the same time.
So I called them. Oh no sorry, looks like the item wasn't added at all. I queried why the deal was still being advertised if they were out of stock. I also pointed out that I had requested a smaller order immediately after purchase, and it wasn't my error.

Since it had already been packed and sent I was offered a 10% discount voucher. Free items cannot be despatched separately, the system will not allow it. I agreed with reasonably good grace - she'd tried to resolve the situation after all.

The next day I got to thinking. The free gift was worth £7.99. In order to recoup that I'd have to spend £79 on my next order?! No thank you!

Luckily when I got home my delivery was there. They'd included £8 extra of the cat food I'd ordered. So I got free cat food and a £10 voucher. Yay for ZooPlus Customer Service!

chrisinhouston 07-04-2012 01:27 PM

My wife and I now have a brand new refrigerator! Yikes, it cost as much as the first car I bought back in 1974 but it's a beauty. An LG french door model in a midnight black semigloss finish with soft blue LED lighting! It has an alarm system to warn if the door is left open or breached in time of war and 32 separate temperature sensors, an interior air filtration system. And it comes with a 50 caliber rapid fire machine gun just in case of enemy attack!

DanaC 07-04-2012 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrisinhouston (Post 818460)
My wife and I now have a brand new refrigerator! Yikes, it cost as much as the first car I bought back in 1974 but it's a beauty. An LG french door model in a midnight black semigloss finish with soft blue LED lighting! It has an alarm system to warn if the door is left open or breached in time of war and 32 separate temperature sensors, an interior air filtration system. And it comes with a 50 caliber rapid fire machine gun just in case of enemy attack!

Aheheh. That last line really made me laugh.

There's a teeny-tiny part of me that longs for a massive fridge, in a large kitchen.

Trilby 07-04-2012 04:30 PM

Don't worry Dana - no one here is a Freudian.

xoxoxoBruce 07-04-2012 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by plthijinx (Post 817827)
he sat in his lazyboy upstairs. now, he does have a walker upstairs and downstairs as well as canes and a wheelchair for downstairs. but when he sat down in the lazy boy there was no getting up by himself. i'm strong, but not that strong. i damn near dropped him on the floor trying to get him up. i just couldn't do it. i was able to just barely get his butt on the edge of the lazyboy seat and lay him back then run and grab my neighbor to help me get him up.

This might help but they are kind of spendy.
http://cellar.org/2012/lc-main.jpg

Remember the movie 9 to 5 where they used a remote controlled garage door opener to lift the guy off the floor? They're cheap and hooked to one of those water skier tow ropes he might me able to pull himself out of the lazyboy. Not very elegant, but we're looking for results, amirite? :blush:

classicman 07-05-2012 01:33 AM

Three years ago I was told to pull the plug on my son.
Yesterday he and I along with my father, my brother & his son went fishing 60 miles offshore.
My son helped reel in a 50+lb tuna.
Happy? I'm fucking ecstatic.

Fukkin' doctors... The irony you ask? (just play along) The hospital called a few weeks ago asking us to be in a commercial
as one of their "success stories"
I replied, not calmly, "Really? If I had listened to you he'd be dead today - go fuck yourself." I then hung up.
Upon reflection ... yep ... Go fuck yourself HARRRRRRRD.

Happy Anniversary bud.

DanaC 07-05-2012 05:13 AM

Holy shit, it's three years ago? Doesn't seem that long. Probably seems longer to you though :P

Happy Anniversary to you and your lad. It's a good day to be alive.