The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   What's making you happy today? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=14055)

TheMercenary 09-04-2009 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Griff (Post 591324)
I think it was Trout Pond between Second and Fourth Roach Pond near Moosehead Lake in Maine. They may want to upgrade their naming scheme.

http://maps.google.com/maps?ie=UTF8&...,0.153637&z=13

Cool. A good friend of mine and ex-coworker lives here:

http://maps.google.com/maps?ie=UTF8&...00942&t=h&z=17

Queen of the Ryche 09-04-2009 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shawnee123 (Post 592574)
It's Friday. It's a 3 day weekend. And after next Thursday I will be on vay-cay-cay! (does happy dance)

Ooh! Ooh! Me too! Me too! Mom's coming in from Cali on Thurs and we're going to Estes for the Scottish Festival (Princess is coming too.) Got a cabin on the river, wine in the fridge, bagpipes by the lake - who could ask for more?

Happy weekend everyone!!!

Griff 09-04-2009 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMercenary (Post 592627)
Cool. A good friend of mine and ex-coworker lives here:

http://maps.google.com/maps?ie=UTF8&...00942&t=h&z=17

Sooo. Nice.

glatt 09-04-2009 04:38 PM

Gets cold in the winter though. I remember as I grew up in Lewiston and they were talking about how cold it was on the news, the weatherman would always point to the map over there and chuckle about how it may be freezing where we are, but at least we aren't over there in the mountains like those poor saps.

TheMercenary 09-04-2009 08:00 PM

Yea, this is their frist season up there, his wife works at Maine Medical he works at the hospital up in Houlton on the border with Canada. The summer and fall are nice but the winter is a bitch. He bought a front loader tractor to get them to the road in the winter. Their house is one of those right on the water and converted summer place into a four season home. My wife's parents were from Maine and she was raised in Bangor. After a tour in Hawaii we could never live where it snows again. There is just no reason for the aggravation.

morethanpretty 09-05-2009 08:55 AM

Raspberries in dark chocolate = me super happy!

classicman 09-06-2009 07:13 AM

My son's smile.

skysidhe 09-06-2009 09:31 AM

It's raining. The flowers are getting a deep soak. My fireplace is on making it a very cozy morning.

Razzmatazz13 09-10-2009 10:25 AM

My cough is gone, no swine flu or whooping cough (I've always suspected asthma but I got tested about 2 years ago when I was unable to breathe and my throat/chest tightened on campus multiple times, and I don't have it apparently)

Bf is officially signed to the marine corps now, he'll leave for boot camp in december.

We have a new family member (I know I'm not married yet, shutup) adorable baby boy born a month early, but healthy and 6lbs. :)

Edit: That totally makes it sound like it's my kid, so for the record, NOT my kid. Bf's new nephew.

kerosene 09-10-2009 11:18 AM

That is happy news, Classic. :)

I was so hoping it was your kid, Razz! That's it. We need a DNA test.

Aliantha 09-10-2009 06:38 PM

It's 9.30am and Max has already had 300mls AND his breakfast with minimal fuss.

Today is a good day. :)

capnhowdy 09-11-2009 06:50 AM

Finally Friday.

Perry Winkle 09-11-2009 07:16 AM

Not only is it Friday, after work I'm heading up to Swan Crest to camp and then run in the morning. 57 km of heaven and hell tomorrow.

Juniper 09-11-2009 03:12 PM

Sitting next to Brianna in British Lit class. :D

DanaC 09-11-2009 04:35 PM

Cool as fuck Juni:) How is Bri? Haven't seen her about the place lately, she doin ok?

What's making me happy is that this morning I woke without that heavy, not wanting to face the day feeling. Partly because I bottomed out yesterday ( I hope) and partly because I had some good news: looks like Dad's money will come through in the next week. That'll help with at least two of the things that have been getting to me and providing a hook for depression. Were he still alive, I know he'd be helping me out right now, because I know he really wanted me to be able to keep going in academia. So, it feels a little like that's what's happening. Dad's helping me through my MA.

dar512 09-11-2009 04:37 PM

Good for you, Dana. I'm glad things are looking better.

DanaC 09-11-2009 04:39 PM

Thanx Dar:)

Cloud 09-11-2009 04:57 PM

Today I paid off the last medical bill for my hysterectomy; yay me!

DanaC 09-11-2009 05:10 PM

yey you:)

monster 09-12-2009 06:32 PM

Took Thor to his evaluation skate for Hockey today ...got free tickets the Plymouth Whalers first home game :D We are really getting into the sport and the Whalers are small enough to be accessible and big enough to be professional. Plus Thor is now playing on the same ice as them, so it's double cool for him. Tomorrow he skates on that very rink! :lol:

jinx 09-12-2009 08:15 PM

The football team the girl cheers for won again tonight, due almost entirely to her spirited jumping about I'm sure. 46-0

They won 40-0 last week...

capnhowdy 09-13-2009 08:29 AM

Talk about defense......
Playing against them must be like playing chess with JR Casablanca.

wolf 09-13-2009 09:12 PM

I watched fireworks tonight. Now this is something that will generally make me happy. The fact that I was able to do it by walking across my parking lot made it all the better. Trees block the view from my porch.

Missing out on the traffic jam at the end of the show is excellent.

ZenGum 09-13-2009 11:43 PM

Watching other people in the traffic jam is just icing on the cake...

Making me happy today is the lovely weather; fresh, clean breeze, blue sky with just a few fluffy clouds, early spring sunshine, and the way it brings out all the beautiful people and causes them to frolic about in relatively little clothing.
Life is good.

Madman 09-14-2009 12:18 PM

Wife and I are going to see Huey Lewis and the News tonight in concert! :thumb:

sweetwater 09-14-2009 02:28 PM

I just got a BlackBerry (loving the calendar/Google sync function), am signed up for art classes, and it finally rained here. I have happiness enough that I have some to spare - here ya go, one good dollop each. Take 2 if you need 'em.

TheMercenary 09-14-2009 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sweetwater (Post 594739)
I just got a BlackBerry (loving the calendar/Google sync function), am signed up for art classes, and it finally rained here. I have happiness enough that I have some to spare - here ya go, one good dollop each. Take 2 if you need 'em.

We call em Crackberry's, cause it is like Crack when you get one, you can't stop. :D

Sundae 09-15-2009 06:23 AM

Yesterday.
(page 7 onwards)

DanaC 09-15-2009 06:28 AM

Awesome day Sundae. I am green with envy *grins* and you are looking damn fine too!

morethanpretty 09-16-2009 01:19 PM

I have a new 20 min commute to work! (vs 50min before move). Still getting used to the new house/housemates though, a bit uncomfortable.
We've been gettin a good amount of rain and things at work have slowed down. I'm almost half-way through the week and I have 2 play critiques I need to write and 2 upcoming tests, but I'm not freaking out. So I guess what is making me happy today isn't any 1 thing, just that I don't feel a huge amount of stress right now (for a change).

TheMercenary 09-16-2009 02:24 PM

I closed on my contract for the next three years of work. Wo hoo.

Sundae 09-16-2009 02:26 PM

Bri knows about Cader Idris.
Somewhere more to go when our shipsies come in.
With Dani & Shawnee of course.

Oh and Mum laughed immoderately at her Fuck Cancer card.
I told her it was from all you too.

classicman 09-16-2009 02:59 PM

congrats Merc! Thats great. God only knows what we all would have had to put up with if you were home ALL DAY with nothing to do - heh heh heh.

TheMercenary 09-16-2009 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by classicman (Post 595290)
congrats Merc! Thats great. God only knows what we all would have had to put up with if you were home ALL DAY with nothing to do - heh heh heh.

Tard! :D

lookout123 09-18-2009 11:50 AM

Heading out of town for our first major tournament of the year! WooHoo! Of course, Lil Lookout woke up this morning unable to breath because of his allergies...

DanaC 09-18-2009 03:23 PM

I just ordered a new Big Finish Doctor Who audioplay :) - Patient Zero

I am sooo excited. Tragic huh? But I've been waiting for this for nearly two months! The last play finished on a cliffhanger, with a month to wait til the next one in the story arc...then when it was released, I was broke.

It's a Colin Baker one. He is a brilliant audio actor. Really understands the medium. Always liked his tv doctor as well, though I know many didn't.

What's brilliant about this one is that the cliffhanger is less a plot thing than a character thing. His companion, Charley is travelling with him without letting on that she has already travelled with his later 8th incarnation (lots of wibbly-wobbly, timey-wimey, web of time stuff with an epic cross-species romance thrown in for good measure) and he's been growing more and more suspicious of her. the last one ended with him giving an ultimatum and demanding to know exactly who she is.

...yes I know...it's not exactly winning the lottery or buying a new car...but I am doing a happy dance right now, 'cause I am going to download it and listen to it tonight Har!

wolf 09-18-2009 11:26 PM

More fireworks, unexpected today ... apparently the township decided to have today as the rain date for part of last weekend's funfair. I saw the moonbounce and heard the band playing as I came home this evening. What I didn't expect was fireworks. When I heard the first bangs I ran out onto my porch, which turned out to be the perfect viewing point. It was most excellent.

And momwolf is out of the hospital.

classicman 09-19-2009 06:32 AM

Yeah for the wolf family!

monster 09-19-2009 09:32 PM

Held my yard sale despite not really wanting to and wimping out last night on the prep. made a little cash, shifted a litttle stuff and one big stuff. Thor had a good first hockey practice by all accounts. Despite last minute rush (almost doubling takings from small junk)finished packing yard sale away in time for family to go to watch Plymouth Whalers Hockey game (tix free through Thor hockey). Our row of seats won free pizza, game tied and went into overtime -we won. Got home, house not on fire or burglarized.

a great day :) Let's do it over tomorrow..... :lol: (well everything except the whaler's game and add a soccer game...heehee)

lumberjim 09-19-2009 10:12 PM

Tomorrow, I'll get to see my first Twin Valley football game, where Ippy is cheering. The weather was absolutely PERFECT here today, and i heard tomorrow was to be the same. Crisp, clear, bright and sparkly.

Pie 09-19-2009 10:30 PM

We had a great night's observing with my Astronomy club...

We saw the Black Brant XII Sounding Rocket carrying the CARE experiment launch from Wallops (about 170 miles away!) and saw a beautiful comet-like tail that we think was the 4th stage separation.

Then we saw the Hubble telescope, crossing from Scorpio to Sagittarius. About 3rd mag, but still easily visible.

Then we saw an Iridium flare. That was bright! Brightest thing in the sky, far brighter than Jupiter.

Next, the ISS, low on the horizon just below the Big Dipper.

And a few other things while we were waiting (Jupiter, the Ring Nebula, random satellites and shooting stars). Columbia usually has fairly polluted skies, but this was a great night!

We have one guy who lives for occultations, and there was a possible tonight. He tried to set up in time, but missed the window. Oh well, you can't have everything!

ZenGum 09-20-2009 10:32 PM

This is an awsome result for one night!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pie (Post 595901)
We had a great night's observing with my Astronomy club...

We saw the Black Brant XII Sounding Rocket carrying the CARE experiment launch from Wallops (about 170 miles away!) and saw a beautiful comet-like tail that we think was the 4th stage separation.

I've been wanting to see a rocket launch for years. I almost saw one in Japan but it was resheduled - they had a gizmo in the satellite in backwards and needed to fix it. :(
Quote:

Then we saw the Hubble telescope, crossing from Scorpio to Sagittarius. About 3rd mag, but still easily visible.

Then we saw an Iridium flare. That was bright! Brightest thing in the sky, far brighter than Jupiter.

Check - bright, brief, beautiful.
Quote:

Next, the ISS, low on the horizon just below the Big Dipper.

Check - pretty big, I saw it about 70 deg above horizon.
Quote:

And a few other things while we were waiting (Jupiter, the Ring Nebula, random satellites and shooting stars). Columbia usually has fairly polluted skies, but this was a great night!

We have one guy who lives for occultations, and there was a possible tonight. He tried to set up in time, but missed the window. Oh well, you can't have everything!
Have you seen a total solar eclipse? Totally awesome.

[has nerd-crush on Pie].

Pie 09-20-2009 10:49 PM

Saw an annular eclipse back in . . . '94? Ah, yes, May 10, 1994. I was grateful to be working in an optics lab at the time; made it easier to get the right set of ND filters for viewing. Never had the pleasure of a total, tho.

We were totally psyched to see the launch. Given our distance from it, we didn't expect to see it at all, but there it was, looking like a roman candle from far away. A BIG honkin' roman candle! At the time, I wondered how many UFO sightings would be reported from the launch.
Quote:

Originally Posted by AP
Sun Sep 20, 12:29 am ET
WALLOPS ISLAND, Va. – NASA says it successfully launched a rocket in Virginia as part of an experiment, and the blast may have caused dozens of people to report seeing strange lights in the sky.
The space agency said it launched the Black Brant XII on Saturday evening to gather data on the highest clouds in the Earth's atmosphere. About the time of the launch, dozens of people in the Northeast started calling local television stations to report seeing strange lights.
The calls came from as far away as Boston, which is about 380 miles northeast of the launch site.
The rocket is designed to create an artificial cloud. NASA hopes the experiment will provide information on the formation and properties of noctilucent clouds, which occur at high altitudes.

One of the observing sites for the NL cloud was Bermuda, so it was designed to be seen from far away. Send out the Batsignal! :tinfoil:

glatt 09-21-2009 09:07 AM

I read about that launch the next day. I wish I had known about it. If we could figure out a way to make it work, we would have watched.

Madman 09-21-2009 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMercenary (Post 595277)
I closed on my contract for the next three years of work. Wo hoo.

Good for you! That should be worth another 13,000 posts. :lol2:

Pie 09-21-2009 11:03 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Got this link from Mr. Occultation:

...and a still pic:

lookout123 09-21-2009 12:30 PM

We're back from our first major tournament of the year. The boys did ok as a whole, but Lil Lookout came out of our 4 games looking like a freaking wunderkid. I am obviously biased but other coaches and parents were impressed enough to be chatting with each other about his performances. He scored at least one in every game and even had a 4 minute hattrick in our 3rd rainsoaked game. The boy looked happy with himself.

Unfortunately, our final game was against an out of state team that absolutely, positively had to have provided fake birth certificates. I know a little about this game and how kids develop. I KNOW that there is no team of 8 year olds who all have that kind of technique. Everyone of their attacking players was better than LL, every one of their defenders better than our best defender.

-an 8 year old girl who is 5'6" and puts corner kicks on the backpost every single time with no variation?
-two 8 year old boys who exchange blind passes down the length of the field using only the outside of their boot without letting the ball touch the ground?
-an 8 year old boy who knows how to elevate for a header and fully extend his core to redirect a ball to goal?

No flippin way. I was really proud of my kids for holding the score to a 3-1 loss. They beat our biggest rivals 8-0 earlier in the morning.

Pie 09-21-2009 01:47 PM

Mebbee they got 'em on growth hormones.

Congrats to LL! :cheerldr:

DanaC 09-21-2009 05:19 PM

This week is Fresher's Week. My induction meeting (and drinks and nibbles afterwards) is tomorrow :)

That's it. Now I have to get serious about research. I'm starting to feel a slight buzz of anticipation. An end to Summer's drifting.

Aliantha 09-24-2009 08:00 PM

We've got absolutely spectacular weather today and Max is just being so cute...and I'm finally starting to feel like things are almost back to right in my world again. :)

limey 09-25-2009 02:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aliantha (Post 597016)
We've got absolutely spectacular weather today and Max is just being so cute...and I'm finally starting to feel like things are almost back to right in my world again. :)

That's good to hear!

classicman 09-25-2009 07:58 AM

Glad to hear that Ali! I've been wondering about you. Is he eating better? Is he putting on any weight?

DanaC 09-25-2009 10:01 AM

Great stuff Ali. Glad things are bedding down a bit:)

What's making me happy: I went off to uni on Tuesday for induction day: had a really nice time, felt totally reconnected with my goals. Came back buzzing with excitement at the whole research student thing. called at Mum's to grab the dog and she gave me a lift home: walked in to my house to find she'd tidied and cleaned (like sparkling) my kitchen and living room. She's spent the last couple of days chivvying me into action to do runs to the town dump with many black bags of old clothes, broken electricals etc. It's an ongoing project but already i feel lighter :P

Got back yesterday to discover she'd done my bathroom :P I've spent this morning bagging up more junk: just got back from dumping it.

It's been bothering me, the state of the house. But depression set in and I've found it increasingly difficult to tackle it. She's a gem.

On top of that, reconnecting with my study goals has kickstarted the project. I've done several hours work on it in the last couple of days, including starting my research blog (very handy as a way of organising your thoughts) and emailing my supervisor to arrange our first meeting. I've done a very basic (very basic) run down of my thoughts so far, breaking the overarching thesis title down into subquestions and briefly analysing some of the evidence I've identified, and at the same time identifying some stuff I am very shaky on (how to create a usable sample set for example).

I am very happy :)

glatt 09-25-2009 11:27 AM

Anniversary today. 16 excellent years.

jinx 09-25-2009 11:31 AM

Hey, congrats glatt!

TheMercenary 09-25-2009 11:35 AM

Great news Glatt. You are beating the odds. Congrats.

Clodfobble 09-25-2009 12:15 PM

Wow, congratulations to you and the Mrs., glatt!

Shawnee123 09-25-2009 12:15 PM

Happy Anniversary to the glatts! :)

glatt 09-25-2009 12:29 PM

Thanks everyone! We're going out to an Italian place in Old Town Alexandria where we've never been before.

DanaC 09-25-2009 02:04 PM

Congrats Glatt:)