The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   What's making you happy today? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=14055)

DanaC 04-12-2011 03:31 AM

Two things are making me happy:)

One is that Bruce sent me a lovely brown t-shirt:) It's a promo shirt for a hotel, and it is great. I love it.

Second is: Mum's i-pad has arrived! When I ordered it they were out of stock and predicting they'd get more in 'within 28 days' which meant there was a small possibility that it wouldn't be here in time for her birthday.

I am beyond excited about this. We were in Curry's the other day, both of us needing a new printer. She'd sorted hers out and I was at the counter asking the tech-guy about something, and she went off for a mooch. Came back and said 'Ohhh. I've just been playing with the i-pad.'

'Really?' I ask, all innocence.

She went on to tell me how she'd been playing with a demo model and how cool it was etc. It's reinvigorated her desire for one. She is actually considering spending a chunk of her small savings on one.

It was all I could do not to laugh.

Then we got into the car, with our respective printers in the back. Mum had got one of these combination printer/scanner/copier things and I'd got a very plain printer that might just about fit on my desk.

'Well' laughed Mum, as she looked at the receipt for her new printer,' I was going to put a new printer down as an gift idea for my Birthday, glad I didn't now. Little bit pricey!'

I laughed and sat snug in the knowledge that an I-pad2 was already winging its way to her.

She's got no clue. It just would not occur to her that we'd have clubbed together for something like this.

Trilby 04-12-2011 07:38 AM

My son is coming for lunch!

Trilby 04-13-2011 10:30 AM

SUUUUUUUUUUUN SHIIIIIIIIIIIINE!!!!!!!

Nirvana 04-13-2011 02:21 PM

We have too many bulls {5} so we had to make am electric fence pen for two of them in the woods. We are done YAY!

BigV 04-13-2011 04:59 PM

Just put a big ol' pork butt on the smoker.

Marinated it overnight at room temp and I'll smoke it for about six hours. I don't feel like babysitting the fire after dark, as it is it is still not really optimal smoking weather; rainy, kinda cold, some wind. Not that I care (a lot) but it does make it harder to keep the smoker at temp. So I'll let it get some smoke and then I'll finish it in the oven overnight.

It's gonna be goooooooooood.

HungLikeJesus 04-13-2011 06:29 PM

It's snowing!

Tonight
http://icons-ecast.wxug.com/i/c/k/nt_snow.gif Rain likely and snow until early morning...then snow late in the night. Snow accumulation up to 9 inches. Lows 27 to 32. Chance of precipitation 80 percent.

lookout123 04-14-2011 01:07 AM

Dad brought me a Starbucks today. I readily admit I'm an addict of the stuff, but I had cut way down even before losing my job. Today I had my first taste of SBUX in more than 7 weeks.

I've been feeling pretty down. I haven't been unemployed for even a single week since I was 12 years old so going on 6 or 7 weeks I'm kind of struggling mentally as well as financially. The drink and the encouragement really hit the spot.

Griff 04-14-2011 07:08 AM

Have you been focused on the same industry or is there a change afoot?

DanaC 04-14-2011 07:23 AM

My eczema is starting to get better :0 this flare is definately on the wane.

glatt 04-14-2011 07:33 AM

Excellent, Dana.

lookout123 04-14-2011 11:11 AM

Griff, I originally was looking in my same industry but not in direct production roles. I've looked outside of the industry as well, I'd really like to make a break from what I've been doing but that can be hard to do. At last count I've had 37 first interviews, 24 second interviews, 13 face to face interviews, and met with VP or Director level execs 7 times. Each of the 7 times I made it to that level my lack of an MBA was a stated negative.

In those interviews I've repeatedly been told I'm overqualified for the lower level positions even though I explained I was willing to put in the hard work at that level so I could eventually work my way up within the company. I've also been told I have the experience but not the degree they were looking for (usually accounting or project management). Only twice did the interviews go genuinely badly, and even in the ones where it was an obvious mismatch the interviews were still positive for the most part.

At this point my plan is to get a job. Any job. Most companies offer some sort of tuition reimbursement at this point so once I'm working I guess it is time to head back to school.

Sundae 04-14-2011 11:42 AM

My three week cold/ virus/ bug thing is FINALLY on the way out.
I'm down to having a hacking cough about once an hour.
It's just congestion, but I've been coughing myself raw because of it.
Not to mention the strange fizzing and popping and miaouwing in my throat - which I assume is an attendant symptom, but will have checked out if not, once this gremlin finally shifts.

So - down to the fun part, which is having my speech affected whilst in no pain.
Mucho sympathy, and relatively little disturbance to my well-being.
So I decided to share it with you.

Excuse the sudden swing to Diz.
I am more easily distracted than even I had realised.

BigV 04-14-2011 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigV (Post 722846)
Just put a big ol' pork butt on the smoker.

Marinated it overnight at room temp and I'll smoke it for about six hours. I don't feel like babysitting the fire after dark, as it is it is still not really optimal smoking weather; rainy, kinda cold, some wind. Not that I care (a lot) but it does make it harder to keep the smoker at temp. So I'll let it get some smoke and then I'll finish it in the oven overnight.

It's gonna be goooooooooood.

The net result was ten pounds of pulled bbq pork. It is delicious. I have eight pounds in the freezer and the rest in the fridge, in one pound ziploc packages.

Undertoad 04-14-2011 03:45 PM

AWwww SG this will pass soon enough, and the cheer rings through the congestion!

lookout123 04-14-2011 08:13 PM

I had an interview today with a national company that has a reputation as a horrible place to work, but at this point something crappy is better than nothing. I get there and find out is a panel interview with 4 managers all sitting in the conference room. They are all staring at their phones when I walked in and none looked up. I introduced myself and none looked up so I felt like a fool with my hand hanging in there air but whatever.

1 guy never bothered texting during the interview. There was very little eye contact from any of them and zero enthusiasm. They were reading the questions off the guide but not listening to my answers at all. By the last question I was actually just making bizarre shit up to see if they would say anything but they didn't notice. Not even a raised eyebrow.

I left after 25 minutes thinking that was a really bizarre experience but chuckling because it is at least kind of funny if frustrating. The recruiter called half an hour after I left to let me know she started a background investigation and that they'd call to make an offer if I passed that. Another manager might want to meet me. or not. I might have a job. or not.

I guess I'm happy about that even if confused.

HungLikeJesus 04-14-2011 09:22 PM

Maybe the whole thing was a psychological test to see how you handle rejection.

lookout123 04-14-2011 09:26 PM

I've experienced that in interviews before, this was very very different. This was almost like a bad saturday night live skit.

footfootfoot 04-14-2011 09:43 PM

footfootfoot 04-14-2011 09:50 PM

elSicomoro 04-15-2011 11:05 AM

So I met the one gal last Friday night...I asked her out Saturday, and we went out to dinner on Sunday. And we have hung out every day since. Yeah...I won't be going on a date with that other gal. :)

lookout123 04-15-2011 11:08 AM

The theory of multiple streams of income has other life applications as well. That being said, I'm happy for you Syc.

glatt 04-15-2011 04:08 PM

I'm on vacation!

HungLikeJesus 04-15-2011 05:43 PM

I just put boric acid in my eyes.

It's from China!

lookout123 04-15-2011 06:54 PM

You have to be careful doing that. Some of those things from China have traces of lead present.

HungLikeJesus 04-16-2011 10:09 AM

Lead is a good lubricant.

But maybe that's why my eyelids feel so heavy.

Griff 04-18-2011 05:38 PM

Mtn biking in the rain on an old trail I started re-cutting over the weekend. :) I even found a mini-pump I lost like three years ago. I've been a grouchy bastard for about two months, it feels good to have a clean air buzz and ice on the back.

footfootfoot 04-18-2011 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Griff (Post 724063)
Mtn biking in the rain on an old trail I started re-cutting over the weekend. :) I even found a mini-pump I lost like three years ago. I've been a grouchy bastard for about two months, it feels good to have a clean air buzz and ice on the back.

You totally need one of these. Totally. I have one for my shoulder and homegrl has one for her back. They are seriously awesome
http://www.coldoneinc.com/icewraps/index.html

http://www.coldoneinc.com/icewraps/i...ducts/back.jpg

Griff 04-18-2011 08:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Cool, I'm using CVS peas.

DanaC 04-19-2011 05:10 AM

Pilau is asleep on the sofa. This morning, for a rarity, he ate his biscuit-like heart tablet without fuss, and without me having to hide it in various foodstuffs. He's been out for a piddle, and is now sleeping peacefully on the sofa, just at the right angle to catch a sunbeam from the window. His head is turned at an angle so all I can see of it is a giant brown nose and some wisps of fur.

He looks really comfy.

Trilby 04-19-2011 12:08 PM

Good gawd it's a Noah Douche out there!

It's absolutely f*cking pouring it down. with thunder and lightening!

YAY!

for some reason, this weather makes me happy.

monster 04-19-2011 01:00 PM

I want thunder and lightening. There's still snow on my car from yesterday :(

Aliantha 04-19-2011 07:48 PM

The three kids are at my Dad's place till Saturday so Dazza and I have a few days of peace and quiet (except for the animals).

As I'm sitting here, I keep expecting Max to start making a noise or something. It's kind of weird, but nice.

Trilby 04-20-2011 06:33 AM

Again, another day of biblical rain.

End times?

Sundae 04-20-2011 01:50 PM

Went to see Gdad again today. With Dads.
Glad he was with me - there was an outreach worker from the Church giving him communion.
I had never realised before, but it seems the Gospel is essential to giving communion. I thought it was the saying of the Eucharist, but that was all done before she came. So at least Dad made all the right responses at all the right times.

And being the Gospel BEFORE Easter it was such a long one... It took her 40 minutes. Not that it should have, she was a very poor reader and put in lots of umms, and errs and often had to backtrack. But hey, she wasn't there for her reading skills. Just bugged me because we were trying to have a 15 minute visit to pick some things up and drop others off and maybe have a glass of wine with him. As it happened we were chased out by his lunch arriving.

Anyway, the good thing was that I brought home two large bags of clothes to sew name tags onto. And I did both before Mum came home. I'm a lousy sewer, but if the tags stay on, job done. Kate Middleton might not employ me, but at least I know I've helped Mum..

Sundae 04-20-2011 02:52 PM

Just talked to Bri on the phone.

There will be a pointy reckoning for my international calls.
But hey, I had to watch my watch and I know I can afford it.

What I would prefer is MORE people to talk to, so I can justify an international calling card. Which means I pay in advance AND save money. No numbers are ever passed on. Many Dwellars can attest to that. They can also confirm that I only make short calls, and these comprise mostly of Cellar gossip and laughter.

But it's always wonderful to talk to Bri. Even with my croaky voice she knew exactly who I was. That was my first smile, the rest came from our conversation.

There are lots of peeps I'd like to talk to.
Shaw? Sarge? Where am you?

Trilby 04-20-2011 02:57 PM

Sundae beat me to it!

Always wonderful to talk to Sundae Girl! (though her poor voice is under strain)

Just imagine this, CellarGents: Her breathy English accent warmed up by whiskey and experience! that's what she sounds like! :)

BigV 04-20-2011 08:20 PM

have finished the biggest flowerbed in the front. the tulips are glorious, and I put in a few dozen primroses.

ZenGum 04-20-2011 08:39 PM

Sundae, can't you skype? If you have internet access it is effectively free.

BigV 04-20-2011 08:42 PM

yes, not just skype, but google talk as well. Though, I am not sure of the international calling rules for googletalk. but domestic "calls" are free. like skype, you need a headset and mike and a computer and an internet connection. All of which you likely have already. Oh, and a gmail account.

Sundae 04-21-2011 01:09 PM

I'm on Skype, yes.
I have a lickle webcam and a headset and everything.

Just that no-one's ever told me they are too!

infinite monkey 04-21-2011 01:22 PM

There's a button for skype on my phone but I have no earthly clue what it is or what it does. If it involves my big ugly face being transmitted, it will never be used.

jimhelm 04-21-2011 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sundae Girl (Post 725304)
I'm on Skype, yes.
I have a lickle webcam and a headset and everything.

Just that no-one's ever told me they are too!

i have skype.

let's get shitfaced and naked and chat later tonight ok?

monster 04-21-2011 01:51 PM

we skype with grandma in the uk. it's been a bit sucky recently, though

BigV 04-21-2011 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigV (Post 725109)
have finished the biggest flowerbed in the front. the tulips are glorious, and I put in a few dozen primroses.

See?!

HungLikeJesus 04-21-2011 08:16 PM

There are seven deer standing in front of my window.

Now they've moved up to the road.

Now they're gone.

skysidhe 04-21-2011 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HungLikeJesus (Post 725479)
There are seven deer standing in front of my window.

Now they've moved up to the road.

Now they're gone.

Did you get a photo?! How nice anyway.

kerosene 04-21-2011 08:24 PM

Do you get elk in your yard sometimes? I use to when I lived in Golden Gate. It was pretty awesome to hear their bugling.

HungLikeJesus 04-21-2011 08:31 PM

I didn't get a photo - they didn't stay around long enough.

We do get elk, they have been moving through the area for the last couple of weeks. A year or two ago I spent about an hour in the yard with a group of males (you know, just hanging out). I took lots of pictures, but I don't know where I put them.

Do you get them out in the plains? How about antelope?

kerosene 04-21-2011 08:37 PM

We don't get much of anything for wildlife out where I am on the plains. I miss that about the mountains.

HungLikeJesus 04-21-2011 08:41 PM

Do you ever hear a discouraging word?

kerosene 04-21-2011 08:43 PM

seldom.

monster 04-21-2011 08:58 PM

is yer sky cloudy, though? that'd be a deal-breaker for me.... I can deal with one or the other...

what?

kerosene 04-21-2011 09:02 PM

not all day...I mean, part of the day, yes. But definitely not all day.

TheMercenary 04-21-2011 09:02 PM

Skype is the way to go SG!

DanaC 04-22-2011 08:23 AM

I should have said this ages ago: but it made me really frikkin happy on the day: Brucey-babes sent me a t-shirt:) It's a promo t-shirt for a hotel. It's awesome. A shade of brown that I only ever see in American designs and even the choice of font on the lettering is retro Americana (looks like that to me anyway ;p).

I frikkin love it. Looks awesome with combat/cargo pants, and a shagged old pair of converse :)

Anyway. That's a belated Happy thought.

For today: It's Ma's birthday. So we're having a barbeque in my Bro's back garden. Always a dleight. It's basically a stretch of land that continues up into the woods. Trees and wildflowers and treehouses, and oddities scattered about the ground and trees. Like something from Kinsey's acid trip grounds. A decked area, some animal pens (ferrets with their own underground runs leading from pen to pen, a pond with coy carp, and several grassy areas, one of which is a camomile lawn.

All on a hill leading up from the back of the house. have to go up steps to get to it. There are different areas that have been made a little more level (and of course the decked area I already mentioned) and serve as natural gatehring areas, but the whole thing retains the feel of a wooded hill, becoming gradually less garden-like and more natural woodland as you move up into the trees.

Because it's our Martin who's pretty much done the garden, it is also full of fun stuff. Rope swings, and hanging chairs, hammocks and a big swing made from tyres that looks like a strange rocking chair.

And of course dad's tree.

It's a lovely sunny day, so should be a pleasant evening.

Mum still has no idea she is about to become the proud owner of an I-Pad2 :p I can't wait to see her face.

monster 04-22-2011 11:19 AM

PICS!

Sundae 04-22-2011 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimhelm (Post 725311)
i have skype. let's get shitfaced and naked and chat later tonight ok?

Quote:

Originally Posted by monster (Post 725313)
we skype with grandma in the uk. it's been a bit sucky recently, though

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMercenary (Post 725514)
Skype is the way to go SG!

Anyone up for Skype, just let me know. Especially since the 'rents go away on 5th May, which means my available hours for making noise are greatly extended.

And Jim, I don't have enough alcofrolics to get shitfaced, and the camera is too small to take in all the glory of my nekkidness, but I approve the idea.

Clodfobble 04-22-2011 01:32 PM

My mom is upstairs playing hide-and-seek with the kids... which means I'm not. :)

HungLikeJesus 04-22-2011 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimhelm (Post 725311)
i have skype...let's get shitfaced and naked and chat later tonight ok?

Quote:

Originally Posted by monster (Post 725313)
we skype with grandma ...

Sundae 04-22-2011 02:57 PM

I wouldn't frighten the kids in that case.
If my tits head any further south they'll be invading France...