The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   What's making you happy today? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=14055)

Sundae 08-31-2010 12:25 PM

It's not a requirement, but it shows commitment to the position and is a way of putting you ahead of the competition (which is stiff). Unsurprisingly, schools value the importance of education and look favourably on people who are undertaking it independently. It would allow me to sell myself as someone looking on this as a career, not someone using this as a stop-gap because I have children at school.

I probably would get a slightly higher rate on starting with this or an NVQ (very similar)but not as much as 2-3 years experience would give me. Unfortunately experience is one of those Catch 22 situations - it's easier to get a job once you have it, but until you have a job you can't gain it. The volunteer route is an accepted one for TAs but this adds another string to my bow.

CACHE - like NVQ - is intended as a workplace qualification. Some employers send their staff on these courses (it's called day release) in order to round out their experience and as a basis for further study should they wish to. The next step would be to become an HLTA - Higher Level Teaching Assistant - and they can earn up to £20k in this area which is higher than any job I've had in the last 10 years and would be doing something I love enough at present to do for free.

And for me it's an extra morning out of the house and something to occupy me further.

skysidhe 09-01-2010 11:55 PM

Best of luck Sundae.

----------------------------------------------

I went to the used bookstore. With trades I bought two books for $5.75, about 2.50 off each book. I did this after buying an $8 book from a grocery store that was silly, and about third grade level.

This one bookstore in particular has a great selection of books. I am happy I went.

Sundae 09-03-2010 03:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sundae Girl (Post 679419)
Still, I'm making her a cake on Thursday (birthday Friday) and she doesn't know I have writing-icing, so am hoping to wow her with a personalised cakie. Good or bad I WILL take a picture!

She loved it but today has ended badly. Not for her & me, but between her & Dad. Sigh. Might post about it later if I still feel the need to get it off my chest.

Anyway - cakie has been much admired.

Trilby 09-03-2010 03:36 PM

gorgeous cake!!!!

BigV 09-03-2010 04:16 PM

WTG SG!

Clearly, she's *still* loved by you!

lumberjim 09-03-2010 04:38 PM

NICE CAKE!

Today, I purchased 3 pairs of 'transition' pants at Goodwill for $21. They are 38 inch waist. I will be giving them my 42 inch waist pants at some point in the near future.

That made me pretty happy.

classicman 09-03-2010 05:14 PM

Outstanding! That's really gotta feel good.

Undertoad 09-03-2010 06:18 PM

Good work by you SG!

Big Sarge 09-03-2010 06:35 PM

Love that cake. It looks delicious

ZenGum 09-06-2010 07:56 AM

Got in to work today to find that a car crash had knocked out power. We waited around for an hour and a half then were told to go home for the day. It was a lovely day, the first sunny day after 2 to 3 inches of rain over the weekend, so I went hiking in the hills among flooded creeks. Life is good.

Jaydaan 09-06-2010 11:10 PM

Our web site is now live! Syntimates is now a legit busness, just took us over a year. Up and Running.. now we see if its worth all the hassle :)

lumberjim 09-06-2010 11:18 PM

good luck, jaydaan! It's a fine looking site!

lumberjim 09-06-2010 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZenGum (Post 680848)
Got in to work today to find that a car crash had knocked out power. We waited around for an hour and a half then were told to go home for the day. It was a lovely day, the first sunny day after 2 to 3 inches of rain over the weekend, so I went hiking in the hills among flooded creeks. Life is good.

the person that crashed into your building may have a divergent opinion. Not busting stones, Gum, it's just... This is an interesting example of the balance life strikes..... one person's calamity is another person's afternoon lark.

xoxoxoBruce 09-07-2010 02:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaydaan (Post 680962)
Our web site is now live! Syntimates is now a legit busness, just took us over a year. Up and Running.. now we see if its worth all the hassle :)

Is this it?

classicman 09-07-2010 08:25 AM

I think so xob - very nice site, indeed.