The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   What's making you happy today? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=14055)

Flint 08-17-2007 09:30 AM

LabRat's Boss: So... do you like... stuff?

HungLikeJesus 08-17-2007 02:09 PM

I've been sick all week, and today I finally felt bad enough to stay home. So here I am getting caught up on The Cellar.

Also, it's raining, so I'm going to make some hot chocolate and go to the basement (not cellar) and watch a movie. Any suggestions?

Griff 08-17-2007 02:45 PM

Have you signed up for fantasy football yet?

HungLikeJesus 08-17-2007 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Griff (Post 375932)
Have you signed up for fantasy football yet?

Quote:

"You talkin' to me? You talkin' to me? You talkin' to me? Then who the hell else are you talkin' to? You talkin' to me? Well I'm the only one here. Who the fuck do you think you're talking to?"
Griff,
Sorry, I was just thinking about watching Taxi Driver.

Griff 08-17-2007 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HLJ (Post 375940)
Griff,
Sorry, I was just thinking about watching Taxi Driver.

This is pretty much the same thing.

Cloud 08-17-2007 03:15 PM

Finally finished a long story I've been working on for months, yay! It's been beta'd and almost ready to post.

HungLikeJesus 08-17-2007 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cloud (Post 375949)
Finally finished a long story I've been working on for months, yay! It's been beta'd and almost ready to post.

Cloud - I assume that's in the Creative Expression forum, or will be.

Cloud 08-17-2007 03:38 PM

Thanks, HLJ, but no, it's a The Sentinel slash story, pretty long, and I'm sure there's not enough interest here for it. But I'm happy! I'm such a slow writer with a spotty muse, so I'm always happy when I finish a story. Happier still when I get feedback that people like it.

If anyone's interested in that kind of thing (male/male erotica) they can let me know, and I can tell them where to find it.

HungLikeJesus 08-17-2007 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cloud (Post 375963)
Thanks, HLJ, but no, it's a The Sentinel slash story, pretty long, and I'm sure there's not enough interest here for it. But I'm happy!

If anyone's interested in that kind of thing (male/male erotica) they can let me know, and I can tell them where to find it.

Would it be much work to make a female/female version? Maybe just a search and replace, a little clean-up, some name changes. Think about it.

Cloud 08-17-2007 03:52 PM

LOL! Not unless you want one of your girls to be an ex-Ranger cop with enhanced senses named Jim!

BigV 08-17-2007 04:40 PM

not dead, yet!!

Cloud 08-17-2007 05:04 PM

reason enough to celebrate!

DanaC 08-17-2007 07:38 PM

Warning: Long

In my life I have lost touch with people, friends, acquaintances. A few I think about from time to time. Of all of them, the one I really regret was a friend from school, my teenage best mate.

We stayed friends, despite differences, arguments, fall outs between partner and friend etc. Things drifted though, we just didn't seem to relate to each other the same and were moving in different circles. We lost touch...and then a couple of years later I left our hometown and moved to the village I'm in now.

Another few years go by and out the blue she gets in touch. She'd phoned the house I lived in as a kid, spoke to Dad and got my address. We met up and it was nice, but both of us were in the midst of a bunch of emotional shit and we didn't maintain it. A couple of letters exchanged, then I lost her address. Another house move for each of us. Changed phone numbers all round.

Since I last saw her, about eight years ago, I've changed and so has my life. I'm no longer with my ex, I live alone, I'm at uni, I'm reasonably content (most of the time, the last two months notwithstanding:P) and moving forward.

Every so often, I think about her. I have made a few little attempts to find her. Looked online and phoned a few people, tried to find either her or her mum. I don't mean I've been searching y'know, but from time to time a thought'll occur and i'll take a looksee.

S'been a while since I tried. See, I don't even know her name now. Don't know if she's with the same guy (they were rocky last i knew) or with someone else, living together or married, living alone? a mum? I have no idea. Is she even still alive? The last time I saw her she'd had to go in for an op to remove pre cancerous cells.

This evening, quite unexpectedly checked my email and was told someone had poked me on facebook. I didn't even think, I just followed the link and there she was. Smiling out of a profile picture. Different surname y'see, that's why it didn't click.

How cool is that? She's not online right now, as it's silly o'clock over here, but I sent a friend request and a message.

It's funny. Last time me and her talked, my ex and I were making a go of it and things were quite peaceful. I was doing a good job of convincing myself I was happy. That was just before my life descended into chaos, confusion and unhappiness. I couldn't talk to the people who were around me. My best friend here was the partner I was falling out of love with. I used to imagine I was telling my mate stuff. Like I was planning out a letter in my head. And yeah, part of that was me longing for the simplicity of being a kid again, but part of it was that I missed a friendship that had meant so much to me as a kid, and yet I treated so lightly when I got involved with my man...there I was with that same man but everything falling apart and me thinking, I pretty much ditched my best friend.

Anyway...There y'go. She got in touch and I am very happy about it.

HungLikeJesus 08-17-2007 07:48 PM

Quote:

...part of it was that I missed a friendship that had meant so much to me as a kid, and yet I treated so lightly when I should have valued it.
Dana, I often think about that. How do you appreciate what you have while you have it - your family, your friends, your town, your job, your health, your youth? Your mind? I haven't figured it out. We never seem to know what we're going to miss until we miss it. And you can never really get back to where you were.

DanaC 08-17-2007 07:57 PM

My apologies, I edited the post to clarify, and that line was altered. I chose my man over my friend, when my man was in the wrong. I allowed the fall out between the two of them, become a fall out between me and her. We 'fixed' it and stayed friends, but we'd never have drifted so easily had that break point not occurred.

DucksNuts 08-18-2007 10:29 PM

New laptop :D

oh and a new fella

skysidhe 08-18-2007 10:37 PM

one out of two warrantys aint bad :)

bluecuracao 08-18-2007 10:40 PM

Hey, you can always trade either one in for a better model.

JuancoRocks 08-19-2007 12:02 AM

What's making you happy today?

Nana's 84th Birthday party was today.......

Yes...That's a carrotcake birthday cake...(Nana's recipe)

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o...thday84th8.jpg

Elspode 08-19-2007 12:34 AM

Rock on, Nana!

My happiness today derives from great date last night, nice day with Selene today. Finally saw HPatOotP...IMAX 3D. Was a bit disappointed to find that there was only 10 minutes of 3D in the whole damn movie, but it was a very fine 10 minutes, and the film was quite good.

freshnesschronic 08-20-2007 01:41 AM

In about 10 hours I am moving into my first house with 4 of my friends and tonight I spent the evening with my girlfriend and friends showing them around the campus at U of I. College is awesome.

DanaC 08-20-2007 05:37 AM

Yesterday evening I went out for drinks with the gang. My ex, J, was comin straight from work, so he joined us later. So, me and threee friends (D, M, and the other J, who is going out with my ex-J) were sitting at a table in a tapas bar chatting and laughing and ordering a few bits of food, waiting for J to join us. It was a table for four, but with a fifth chair added to the end of the table. I was sat at the outside seat next to the extra chair, and my female friend J, was sat near the wall.

When we saw male J arriving, J (fem)got up and went to meet him at the door, and I quickly shuffled over and swapped seats so that she'd be on the outside seat, next to J (male). Wasn't a big deal, just a little strategic reseating:P

When the two of em came back to the table and sat down, she leaned over to me and whispered "thanks chick," then did a little laugh and said "I'm just a little bit in love".

I'm so happy that they're together. They're so well suited to each other. I've seen them both messed around by people over the last three or four years, so it's wonderful to feel like they're both 'safe'. *smiles*

So we sat there drinking and eating and chatting. Five good friends. Two of whom have recently returned from a 5 day break in Prague and seem to glow with new love. Three of us trying not to laugh when they get distracted from the conversation by each other :P We had a really good laugh. Though we did get a bit loud.

I've woken up this morning feeling pretty groovy. I don't mind that me and D will only ever be friends. I can live with that, I love his friendship and company. I am delighted that the two Js are so happy. Most of all I am pleased as punch, that I can spend an evening in a tapas bar with such good friends and in such easy company.

That's about it really ;)

Cloud 08-20-2007 01:47 PM

I frivolously spent money over the weekend.

I bought myself a Light Wedge--it fits right in the book for reading--pretty cool.

I bought myself some Toilet Ink--the "Mom" one, and am gonna re-do the powder room with body art stuff.

I bought myself an electric garlic roaster which isn't as frivolous as it sounds, 'cause roasted garlic is yummy, good for you, and a pain to cook, as well as heating my house in 100 degree heat.

I also bought lube -- but that's not frivolous, that's a staple! :)

smurfalicious 08-20-2007 02:55 PM

• new roof/flatdeck repaired in time for the height of hurricane season
  • house is no longer pink and looks awesome
  • new a/c so it's no longer 83 degrees at 11:00pm
  • plants all rehung/put back on the porch and finally OUT OF MY LIVING ROOM
  • truck/bedroom/outdoor furniture steam cleaned and detailed
  • cat banished outdoors, therefore no more incessant moaning and scratching at bedroom door ALL.NIGHT.LONG.
  • falling down the stairs resulted in only minor soft tissue injuries AND I didn't break the telescope I was carrying
  • and last but definitely not least... I gots me a damn good man

Shawnee123 08-20-2007 04:46 PM

Friends who care about me in spite of me.

lumberjim 08-20-2007 05:11 PM

Cloud: the light wedge: it goes behind the page? does it work well? don;t the letters on the other side obscure the front side text?

kerosene 08-20-2007 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smurfalicious (Post 376719)
  • cat banished outdoors, therefore no more incessant moaning and scratching at bedroom door ALL.NIGHT.LONG.

I have had this problem before. What finally worked for us was a plastic rolly chair mat turned upside down in front of the door.

Cloud 08-20-2007 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lumberjim (Post 376746)
Cloud: the light wedge: it goes behind the page? does it work well? don;t the letters on the other side obscure the front side text?

It goes on top of the page. You look through the acrylic sheet to the page. It seems to work pretty well; I think they're prone to scratching, so you are supposed to keep them stored in a book or in a case.

smurfalicious 08-20-2007 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by case (Post 376747)
a plastic rolly chair mat turned upside down in front of the door.

nice! much better idea than The Man's. He refused to scold the cat, or wake me up to scold the cat, so he took various household items and piled them in front of the door: chair, ironing board, rolling suitcase, stereo speaker, trashcan, pillow... I got up in the middle of the night to piss and saw the pile of crap and thought fuck my bladder, not attempting to step over all that.

DucksNuts 08-22-2007 07:39 PM

An interesting mix of cold and flu medication

:fumette:

HungLikeJesus 08-22-2007 08:59 PM

I flew to Spokane, Washington, this morning, then drove west about two hours, with two of my co-workers. Right now I'm sitting in a hotel, looking across the street at the Grand Coulee Dam (I think it's the largest in the US).

The weather is beautiful. I'm due downstairs in two minutes and we're going to go find some dinner. And maybe a beer.

yesman065 08-22-2007 09:48 PM

My car insurance is going DOWN $400 a year next month!

kerosene 08-23-2007 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smurfalicious (Post 376790)
nice! much better idea than The Man's. He refused to scold the cat, or wake me up to scold the cat, so he took various household items and piled them in front of the door: chair, ironing board, rolling suitcase, stereo speaker, trashcan, pillow... I got up in the middle of the night to piss and saw the pile of crap and thought fuck my bladder, not attempting to step over all that.

If you try it, let me know if it works. And you will want to wear slippers at night (obviously, I think.)

fargon 08-23-2007 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by freshnesschronic (Post 376548)
In about 10 hours I am moving into my first house with 4 of my friends and tonight I spent the evening with my girlfriend and friends showing them around the campus at U of I. College is awesome.

Your not moving into 601 S. Busey are you?
Also We are very pleased that Briana is back!!!

DanaC 08-23-2007 11:52 AM

Me and my friend, J (female J, not male J) went 'shopping' this afternoon. Now, neither of us likes clothes shopping particularly, and this wasn't fun clothes shopping, this was sensible shopping for clothes that are suitable to politicking and giving a good impression. Dull, dull, dull.

We made it to Leeds, parked up, got as far as my favourite sushi bar ...and spent about an hour and a half in there eating sushi and green tea cheesecake, and drinking bottles of lager. So then, we thought hey....we really had better go at least look in a clothing store. We did, but by then we were running out on our parking ticket and J had to get back to Hebden Bridge for 5, so we just looked and left. So basically, we went to Leeds, walked about in the sun chatting and lodged ourselves in a great sushi bar. Good afternoon in the end :)

Deuce 08-23-2007 08:35 PM

Received a message today from our dear daughter that included the line "I love you!"

*Big* highlight. :)

Thank you sweetheart, I love you too.

Ibby 08-24-2007 09:00 AM

Wednesday:
First day of tryouts for the school musical, Once Upon A Mattress.
spent four hours on the phone with caro. either shes leading me on (entirely possible) or i really do have a chance with her again maybe.
Thursday:
Second day of tryouts. Characterization audition went great. practice for vocal audition - i think i sang better than i ever have before in my life.
GUITAR CAME, expect pictures of me showing it off soon

Today:
Vocal auditions. Not quite as good as yesterday but I think I did pretty good, especially compared to some of the other guys. i should know what part i got tomorrow.
field day at school - i got out of having to actually do field day so i could photograph it for yearbook. that was fun.
then just now, back to school dance. shitty music, of course, but it was really fun, and i hung out with a group of kids im really starting to make friends with i think.

i just hope my recent string of good luck this week holds out.

jester 08-24-2007 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deuce (Post 377923)
Why the f*ck do I even come in here?

Because you like us;) And some of us know what you're going thru -for the support.

kerosene 08-24-2007 11:47 AM

I like seeing you in here, Deuce.

HungLikeJesus 08-24-2007 01:08 PM

I'm checked out of the hotel, sitting in the lobby, waiting for my co-workers so we can catch a plane home. I just realized that my watch is set for Denver time and I'm an hour early.

Cicero 08-24-2007 01:40 PM

I am finally getting the adobe design suite standard in the mail! So I can actually get something done! My boss has finally come to her senses!! Awesome! YEAH!!!!

Sorry everyone...but it really is the little things sometimes.

fargon 08-24-2007 01:57 PM

they just condemned the building behind us. Now maby the condo owners will stop trying to get us lowlife renters evicted.

DanaC 08-24-2007 05:05 PM

Don't worry Deuce, we're right behind you still.

Clodfobble 08-24-2007 05:59 PM

I thought you were moving in a few days anyway, fargon?

I managed to get my whole kitchen scrubbed, vacuumed, and mopped this morning. Of course then lunch happened and now it's filthy again. As far as Mr. CF knows, the kitchen is never clean, ever.

Ibby 08-24-2007 07:14 PM

Ouch, didn't get a part. I was cast as an extra.
Oh well.

DanaC 08-24-2007 07:23 PM

ack. But hey...and extra? That's something.

Shawnee123 08-25-2007 10:02 AM

After I get off work, I'm cooking chicken kebabs and heading over to a party with plenty of friends, plenty of adult beverages, plenty of games (texas hold 'em, left/right/center, cornhole), plenty of laughs, and a swimmin' pool. It just doesn't get any better than this! Until someone pukes, someone fights, and someone drowns naked in the pool. :p

HungLikeJesus 08-25-2007 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shawnee123 (Post 378426)
After I get off work, I'm cooking chicken kebabs and heading over to a party with plenty of friends, plenty of adult beverages, plenty of games (texas hold 'em, left/right/center, cornhole), plenty of laughs, and a swimmin' pool. It just doesn't get any better than this! Until someone pukes, someone fights, and someone drowns naked in the pool. :p

Cornhole? Will you post pictures?

Shawnee123 08-25-2007 10:45 AM

lol...I was expecting that. In my podunk part of the world, it's a big deal. It's basically horseshoes without the post or the horseshoes. You throw bags filled with corn towards an inclined board with a hole in it. There are tournaments, we even just finished up a summer league here at my college: we play every Friday at lunch. It's really kind of fun. Sanctioned by the American Cornhole Assocation. Yeah, really!:D

HungLikeJesus 08-25-2007 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shawnee123 (Post 378442)
lol...I was expecting that. In my podunk part of the world, it's a big deal. It's basically horseshoes without the post or the horseshoes. You throw bags filled with corn towards an inclined board with a hole in it. There are tournaments, we even just finished up a summer league here at my college: we play every Friday at lunch. It's really kind of fun. Sanctioned by the American Cornhole Assocation. Yeah, really!:D

I thought Ohio was under water from Seneca to Cuyahoga Falls.

Do you have an ACA bumper sticker on the back of your car?

Shawnee123 08-25-2007 10:56 AM

I don't do bumper stickers. It's like a tattoo for your car. And I've said before me getting a tattoo would be like scribbling on the Mona Lisa.

And, actually:

The farms of ohio
Had been replaced by shopping malls
And muzak filled the air
From seneca to cuyahoga falls
Said, a, o, oh way to go ohio

HungLikeJesus 08-31-2007 12:07 AM

I got home from work about 8 and found a message from our neighbors saying just to come over. Instead of walking up the driveway to the road, I took the shortcut through the yard with a tiny LED flashlight.

I scared Kim in their driveway. She said, "I thought you were the bear!" Apparently there's a bear in the neighborhood - a very big bear. It tore the (locked) door off of my neighbor's barn just to get to their trash. They must have a much higher quality of trash then we do, though the bears have been know to drag our trash around a bit, but then leave it spread out over the weeds that we call the yard.

I said, You call me and let me walk through the knee-high grass, when there's a 400-lb bear in the neighborhood. Then we had some drinks and everything was fine.

That is all.

Shawnee123 08-31-2007 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HungLikeJesus (Post 380621)
She said, "I thought you were the bear!"

And you sighed and said "I thought I was too, I thought I was too."

Great bear story. Be careful!

Cicero 08-31-2007 10:26 AM

I have a friend coming into town early tomorrow morning. Yeah!! I haven't made any real friends in the new place yet. It will be good to see a familiar face. Yes everyone....I have so few friends here that I have to import them.....Good friends are so hard to come by.
Oh-I get so lonely!!! It will be so nice to have a real conversation without having to type it or pick up a phone and lose my signal.

LabRat 08-31-2007 01:12 PM

Just got an email confirmation my article part of the Oct issue, posting October 1. YEAH!! I'm particularly excited about this one, because it was 100% my paper.

glatt 08-31-2007 01:36 PM

Way to go!

You're published!

lumberjim 08-31-2007 01:44 PM

i'm enjoying torturing spexx a little bit. that's making me kinda happy

Griff 08-31-2007 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LabRat (Post 380850)
Just got an email confirmation my article part of the Oct issue, posting October 1. YEAH!! I'm particularly excited about this one, because it was 100% my paper.

HOORAY!

HungLikeJesus 08-31-2007 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LabRat (Post 380850)

That will mean giving up your secret identity.

LabRat 08-31-2007 03:45 PM

Heh, this is a slight concern, since all the publicity my Meta Forum thread has generated...but oh well. I haven't tried very hard to keep who I really am a secret.

Since this will be my 7th publication, maybe it'll be lucky...