The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   What's making you happy today? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=14055)

DanaC 07-17-2009 02:30 AM

My bestfriend (J) is graduating today *smiles* I am so proud of him. He's graduating with a First Class Honours degree in Design for Computer Games. And next week he starts his new job at the university as a junior assistant lecturer. They've pulled out all the stops to keep him at the university for his PhD, up to and including shimmying their departmental budget about to get him a maintenance grant and 8 hours a week teaching. He musthave impressed the hell out of them:) Doesn't surprise me. He's brilliant.

capnhowdy 07-18-2009 09:16 AM

I got my diploma certificate and ID card for my TIPS certification today. Now I am licensed to get people high on alcohol.

lumberjim 07-18-2009 09:18 AM

just make sure you use the right color TIPS report cover sheets

capnhowdy 07-18-2009 09:36 AM

I'm putting that post in my incident log.

*aside*
They didn't include how not to get drunk while serving in the course.

Pie 07-19-2009 09:42 PM

Pwnage of the KKK by... clowns.

1 Attachment(s)
Via.
Quote:

Here’s an excellent example of pwnage: when the white supremacist group VNN Vanguard Nazi/KKK tried to host a hate rally in Knoxville, Tennessee, they were foiled by … clowns!

Unfortunately for [VNN] the 100th ARA (Anti Racist Action) clown block came and handed them their asses by making them appear like the asses they were.
Alex Linder the founder of VNN and the lead organizer of the rally kicked off events by rushing the clowns in a fit of rage, and was promptly arrested by 4 Knoxville police officers who dropped him to the ground when he resisted and dragged him off past the red shiny shoes of the clowns.

“White Power!” the Nazi’s shouted, “White Flour?” the clowns yelled back running in circles throwing flour in the air and raising separate letters which spelt “White Flour”.
“White Power!” the Nazi’s angrily shouted once more, “White flowers?” the clowns cheers and threw white flowers in the air and danced about merrily.
“White Power!” the Nazi’s tried once again in a doomed and somewhat funny attempt to clarify their message, “ohhhhhh!” the clowns yelled “Tight Shower!” and held a solar shower in the air and all tried to crowd under to get clean as per the Klan’s directions.
At this point several of the Nazi’s and Klan members began clutching their hearts as if they were about to have a heart attack. Their beady eyes bulged, and the veins in their tiny narrow foreheads beat in rage. One last time they screamed “White Power!”
The clown women thought they finally understood what the Klan was trying to say. “Ohhhhh…” the women clowns said. “Now we understand…”, “WIFE POWER!” they lifted the letters up in the air, grabbed the nearest male clowns and lifted them in their arms and ran about merrily chanting “WIFE POWER! WIFE POWER! WIFE POWER!”

Aliantha 07-19-2009 10:51 PM

I got a new whipper snipper today. It's a Stihl FS45C Line Trimmer. It's so awesome, and now my lawns will look much better. :)

ZenGum 07-19-2009 11:41 PM

Pie, that is bloody awesome! CLOWN POWER!!! :notworthy

sofiabags 07-20-2009 04:19 AM

Dancing Queen

i listen to the song Dancing Queen again in accident, it's very beautiful!

Clodfobble 07-20-2009 03:10 PM

Mr. Clod fixed the air conditioner! And, now that we know what's wrong with it (hard water buildup in the drain pipe, as opposed to some other type of clog) I have an action plan to pour CLR down all drains daily for a month or so, to make sure the same thing doesn't happen on one of the larger internal house pipes. I'll never know for sure, but I have a suspicion discovering this small problem has prevented us from a much larger and more expensive one down the line.

glatt 07-20-2009 03:31 PM

Is it some sort of evaporating AC unit? Like a swamp cooler?

If not, I don't understand how hard water could do anything to an AC unit. The water comes from the condensation from the air and should have no minerals in it. Regular AC units aren't even hooked up to the plumbing. Our AC unit gets slime growing in the drain pipe because it's constantly dripping the wet condensate, but it dries out and the slime dies during the winter months, so it has never been a problem.

I only mention this because it's probably totally unrelated to your house drains, and flushing chemicals down your drains will just cost money and may do nothing.

Clodfobble 07-20-2009 04:00 PM

I don't know what kind of unit it is... We pour bleach in the little drain pipe every six months, but it still got clogged (which we discovered when the drain pan overran and water started dripping from the light fixture in the ceiling.) When Mr. Clod got the air compressor up there, plugged the appropriate holes, and blew it out, huge chunks of calcified crap came out of the end of the pipe outside the house, and now it flows freely again. The stuff was beige and shaped like the inside of the pipe, so I'm certain it was mineral buildup. Maybe our condensate is just really minerally out here? Or maybe it drains some sort of other water source as well? I don't know.

Flint 07-20-2009 04:25 PM

glatt is worried you might be flushing money down the drain. :::silent chuckle:::

glatt 07-20-2009 04:34 PM

*shrugs shoulders* beats me.

DanaC 07-20-2009 04:57 PM

Two days and counting! Two more days and one night of being a mere graduand. God I am so excited.

Only fly in my ointment is I don't get to wear a mortar board! Apparently we don't do that in our school (not sure if other schools within the uni do. probably not). When i went to J's graduation on Friday he was wearing a mortar board. And he had black robes. In fact he looked like he was just missing the dark wood panelled halls of a British public school full of boisterous upperclass boys. Mr Chips. I want to wear a mortar board!

But yeah....that's a fairly minor quibble :P

I may be a little giddy for the next couple of days.

[eta] oh yeah! and my dissertation's been put on the school's showcase site (History First) as a downloadable pdf :) I was so shit scared reading the dissertations on there in the run up to writing my own. Now mine will be one of the ones scaring the shit out of next year's undergrads :P I may already have mentioned that. It's tickled me quite a lot, that thought :P

[aeta] Oh and another thing! Went to J's grad on Friday. This was very lovely and I felt quite moved. Best of all: he chose his uni in part because it was one of the very few atthe time offering a degree in his subject (Design for Computer Games) and because Peter Molyneux is connected to the uni in some way and sponsors a prize for creative innovation. J was pretty buzzed up on that and set it as a personal goal to aim for. He only bloody well went and did it! Won the award. Well-deserved too imo. He designed and (mostly)built a genuinely original and interesting game. It's a prototype so not everything is fully functional, but enough to get the general flavour of the game. He worked so hard on it. Is still working on it. I'm so thrilled for him.

Flint 07-20-2009 05:00 PM

flushing money down the drain --get it?