The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   What's making you happy today? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=14055)

fargon 05-19-2020 07:31 AM

Pix?

sexobon 05-19-2020 08:12 AM

The squirrel might think you're an interspecies two-timer; but, the cat can always eat the squirrel.

monster 05-19-2020 10:54 AM

Oh that made me happy to read, and I needed that, thanks

DanaC 05-19-2020 10:56 AM

Hey Grav, how's the kittycat doing?

monster 05-19-2020 01:36 PM

::sidestep from the "happy"::

Quote:

Originally Posted by monster (Post 1052588)
daughter got $21, I 've heard nothing about mine

Apparently my insurance company decided to "reduce rates in the future" rather than give refunds. Which is an especially interesting level of bullshit as Michigan's auto insurance law changes on July 2 and all policies will become cheaper.....

....and I would like to say I will be dumping them, but the reality is they will be dumping me first because of my idiot son's two major fault accidents ending with the car being totaled.

::as you were::

Gravdigr 05-19-2020 01:36 PM

Well, he was still here this am. There were no kitteh-friendly leftovers this morning, so when I had breakfast I scrambled an extra egg for the cat. I cooked for a damn cat.:eyebrow:

No pix as yet, but he's black, long hair (near Persian territory), his tail is fat, like a mad kitty's tail, and the tail under the fur is fat, too. He's an average-sized cat, but w/over-size front paws. He looks kinda like Sylvester, all shiny black, with a white chin, white chest spot, and another spot just past his chest, white toeses on the front, two white socks out back.

Thinking about names now we're semi-adopted. Bootsy is in the running, w/a nod to Fargon's Bootsie. His whiskers are stark white and very long, we're considering Monkeyface, and Monkeyboy (cousindigr calls her hubs Monkeyboy). Twosocks is a also a contender (from Dances With Wolves).

The real test will come when I actually buy cat food. A lot of cats leave when I/we invest cash in them. A trip to the everything's-a-dollar store will yield the first bag of food, a brush, and maybe a toy.

I feel bad about this cat coming here. This is/was someone's semi-indoor pet. He doesn't really like two hands coming at him, but yet no protests when hugging him in the lap, or picking him up. He will readily jump into your lap. He's not too wild about scratching/rubbing the back half of his back, he gets a little bitey occasionally, nothing bad though, just nips and light swats to say "I don't like that.". You can waggle him pretty roughly by the tail though, he doesn't care in the least.

He likes to look into your eyes when he's in your lap. I don't mean just looking at you. I'm talking full size eyes, long, looking for something, lingering, into the soul stares.

He's no Slick, but he seems to have potential.

We've asked around the neighborhood a little, and no one seems to have seen him before, or knows anything about him.

Time will tell, I reckon.:fingerx:

monster 05-19-2020 01:39 PM

perhaps the someone was no longer able to take care of him but couldn't give him up and was trusting that when the time came, Socks would find someone like you

Clodfobble 05-19-2020 01:42 PM

Quote:

I feel bad about this cat coming here. This is/was someone's semi-indoor pet.
I figure without a collar, they have no claim.

Gravdigr 05-19-2020 01:50 PM

If Slick had roamed and taken up with another fam, I would've wept like a little girl.

Ah, shit, man, what if this cat is some little girl's kitty?[/guiltface]

sexobon 05-19-2020 01:59 PM

Cats can get coronavirus. Maybe its owners are social distancing from it. You never know what its contact history could be.

monster 05-19-2020 02:04 PM

Grav I doubt it is/was. Cats know when they're onto a good thing. More likely someone whose time was up. You could always post a message on local Craigslist/whatever to see if anyone is missing him/her/it. Is there a rescue shelter who might know of reported missing moggies?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clodfobble (Post 1052879)
I figure without a collar, they have no claim.

could be microchipped. I am not a fan of collars on cats. Neither are cats in the main, from what I have seen.

Gravdigr 05-19-2020 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monster (Post 1052888)
could be microchipped. I am not a fan of collars on cats. Neither are cats in the main, from what I have seen.

I felt around for a chip. Do they still put them between the shoulder blades?

I wouldn't put a collar on an unfixed/roaming tom. When I've used flea collars (on cats:rolleyes:) I've always left them very loose.

Clodfobble 05-19-2020 02:42 PM

They put our dogs' chips at the base of their neck, between the shoulder blades but kind of higher up. But the thing was so small we never could feel it under their skin--admittedly, though, dogs have thicker skin and fur than a cat. Most neighborhood vets will scan for free, and even some pet supply stores have the scanners.

monster 05-19-2020 03:37 PM

yes, it's usually there in the loose skin of the scruff and pretty easy to feel. Clod is right, there is usually no charge for scanning. If it hangs around, it's probably because its old home became untenable and it was looking for a new one, so don't feel bad.

BigV 05-19-2020 04:08 PM

Dude, dogs have people; cats have staff.

Congratulations on your new job!

Gravdigr 05-20-2020 02:34 PM

Still here!

BigV 05-20-2020 02:49 PM

Good to hear your probationary period is still in effect!

monster 05-20-2020 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gravdigr (Post 1052932)
Still here!

:D

footfootfoot 05-22-2020 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Griff (Post 1052234)
Have you guys built a pump track yet? I'm kind of tempted.

Ha! Great idea. His mom is living near some woods with a big hill behind the house. He's been building trails there and set up his crazy jump. I'm waiting for him to post some videos of it to his instagram.

Not really room for a pump track at my place.

Griff 05-22-2020 09:44 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I have a spot that's part of my home loop. This is from my ride today. I don't who'd maintain it...

sexobon 05-22-2020 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sexobon (Post 1052533)
$35.24 ...

Today I got a second auto insurance policy dividend of $17.62.

Running total: $52.86.

monster 05-23-2020 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monster (Post 1051660)
I was weeding this evening and observed two people performing silly walks as they passed my house. One knew I was there, one didn't. Both were walking by themselves (but on the phone). I saw others read the signs and smile too :D

I lent my seed spreader thing to a neighbor, who posted this in the basefuck group where she'd asked if anyone had one...

"I just grabbed it while you were mowing your lawn. :) You’re the ministry of silly walks house!! I’ve definitely done a silly walk on your sidewalk."

:D

monster 06-02-2020 02:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monster (Post 1052874)
::sidestep from the "happy"::

Apparently my insurance company decided to "reduce rates in the future" rather than give refunds. Which is an especially interesting level of bullshit as Michigan's auto insurance law changes on July 2 and all policies will become cheaper.....

....and I would like to say I will be dumping them, but the reality is they will be dumping me first because of my idiot son's two major fault accidents ending with the car being totaled.

::as you were::

hmmm... I'll see it when I believe it, but....

Michigan Orders Refunds

xoxoxoBruce 06-14-2020 10:49 PM

Got another $43.83 check from my insurance today (because I didn't get the mail yesterday).

BigV 06-25-2020 10:30 PM

I got a second ten dollar check from my car insurance company.

Thx.

But today I feel like I accomplished a lot.

Pics in New DIY thread coming soon!

Gravdigr 06-26-2020 08:54 AM

Woot!

Griff 06-29-2020 06:15 AM

1 Attachment(s)
After some delay.

Gravdigr 06-29-2020 03:36 PM

Sweet!

Diaphone Jim 07-01-2020 04:12 PM

The long addy below leads to a place I seldom go: BuzzFeed
With the total shitstorm whipped up by the Republican party, there are still some things to be proud of (very US centric, sorry).

https://www.buzzfeed.com/stephenlaco...HBSb4xAsUNJEDE

BigV 07-01-2020 07:27 PM

DJ, that was delightful!

Thank you for posting it. BRB, gotta go to KFC.

Griff 07-02-2020 05:56 AM

They like us, they really like us.

nowhereman 07-02-2020 07:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Griff (Post 1054519)
After some delay.

Nice !
I will start pulling supers this weekend. Looks to be a good year.

Carruthers 07-02-2020 02:02 PM

It became apparent late last year that my 1992 VW Passat Estate (originally Dad’s) would have to be retired, so just before Christmas I placed an order for a new car.
There was something of a waiting list and it was due to be built a week or two into March this year.

The tax and MoT on the existing wagon expired at the end of February so I declared it off road with DVLA and scrapped it a few days into March for which I was paid the princely sum of £155.
I only expected two or three weeks without a car which wasn’t any great problem.
Then the great lockdown started and my car was stuck in Germany for the duration.

Thankfully, I didn’t have to get Dad to a hospital or GP appointment but shopping was a pain in the fundament.
The local supermarket is pretty small but they use every inch of space efficiently and have been remarkable during the lockdown, but it has to be said that they don’t have everything and trips into town by train had to be endured. There’s a substantial walk at either end of the train journey which isn’t too bad if you’re not carrying shopping.

Anyway, fast forward to this week. After four months without a car I finally collected my new vehicle on Tuesday.
After what seemed an age they sorted out the paperwork, registered it with DVLA and handed me the keys.
Because of all the Covid 19 precautions I couldn’t be accompanied on a familiarisation drive so had to make my own arrangements.
Having started the thing (keyless ignition) and moved off, the first thing I did was check the brakes.

There’s no point it persuading it to move if you can’t persuade it to stop.
Having driven it a few yards to the main road I was faced with the choice of routing via the town centre or taking the longer route around the ring road.
I chose the longer route as I had no intention of making a right turn in a (very) unfamiliar vehicle.

Anyway, I got it home without any problems and drove it on a shopping trip yesterday but I think it will be a while before I am used to it.
There are bells and whistles on it of which, as yet, I do not understand the purpose, and some that I understand but am unlikely to use, but I think I’ve mastered the basics.
One particular feature that I find useful is the digital display which indicates the gear in use and gives you a ‘nudge’ when it is time to change up.

I shall now retire with the 400 page manual (I’m not joking) and reflect on a very long four months!

PS I've just realised that I composed the above without using the word 'happy'.
I am! That is all you need to know!

Gravdigr 07-02-2020 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carruthers (Post 1054671)
...without using the word 'happy'.

I'm happy you're happy w/your new car. New car, WOOT!!!

And kudos for keeping the manual transmission alive!

Griff 07-02-2020 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nowhereman (Post 1054664)
Nice !
I will start pulling supers this weekend. Looks to be a good year.

Happy!
Quote:

It became apparent late last year that my 1992 VW Passat Estate (originally Dad’s) would have to be retired, so just before Christmas I placed an order for a new car.
There was something of a waiting list and it was due to be built a week or two into March this year.

The tax and MoT on the existing wagon expired at the end of February so I declared it off road with DVLA and scrapped it a few days into March for which I was paid the princely sum of £155.
I only expected two or three weeks without a car which wasn’t any great problem.
Then the great lockdown started and my car was stuck in Germany for the duration.

Thankfully, I didn’t have to get Dad to a hospital or GP appointment but shopping was a pain in the fundament.
The local supermarket is pretty small but they use every inch of space efficiently and have been remarkable during the lockdown, but it has to be said that they don’t have everything and trips into town by train had to be endured. There’s a substantial walk at either end of the train journey which isn’t too bad if you’re not carrying shopping.

Anyway, fast forward to this week. After four months without a car I finally collected my new vehicle on Tuesday.
After what seemed an age they sorted out the paperwork, registered it with DVLA and handed me the keys.
Because of all the Covid 19 precautions I couldn’t be accompanied on a familiarisation drive so had to make my own arrangements.
Having started the thing (keyless ignition) and moved off, the first thing I did was check the brakes.

Having driven it a few yards to the main road I was faced with the choice of routing via the town centre or taking the longer route around the ring road.
I chose the longer route as I had no intention of making a right turn in a (very) unfamiliar vehicle.

Anyway, I got it home without any problems and drove it on a shopping trip yesterday but I think it will be a while before I am used to it.
There are bells and whistles on it of which, as yet, I do not understand the purpose, and some that I understand but am unlikely to use, but I think I’ve mastered the basics.
One particular feature that I find useful is the digital display which indicates the gear in use and gives you a ‘nudge’ when it is time to change up.

I shall now retire with the 400 page manual (I’m not joking) and reflect on a very long four months!

Happy!

You'd have thought they could have sent you the manual to read during lockdown!

Gravdigr 07-02-2020 03:50 PM

Heh...

Carruthers 07-02-2020 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gravdigr (Post 1054672)
I'm happy you're happy w/your new car. New car, WOOT!!!

And kudos for keeping the manual transmission alive!

As my Yorkshire ancestors might have said 'it were cheaper'.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Griff (Post 1054674)
Happy!

Happy!

You'd have thought they could have sent you the manual to read during lockdown!

That's a good point! :thumb:

OTOH, I might have been tempted to cancel once the complexity of both car and manual became apparent. :eek:

limey 07-02-2020 04:17 PM

Quote:

I got a brand new car late last year. We can swap familiarisation stories if you like!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Griff 07-02-2020 05:52 PM

oof. Touch screen interface... hate. I had an Alpine system with a cassette deck in my CJ-7, that was peak technology.

xoxoxoBruce 07-02-2020 06:18 PM

The more you drive the comfortable you'll feel.
Well teutonic level comfort anyway.
Now the problem is shooing the local babes away. :yesnod:

Carruthers 07-03-2020 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce (Post 1054690)
Now the problem is shooing the local babes away. :yesnod:

If only! :)

xoxoxoBruce 07-04-2020 12:20 AM

Don't let Dad catch you sparkin' in the parlor after he goes to bed.

I'm happy for friends in Ohio because July 1st the state ceased to require a front licence plate. They had been registering their cars in PA for years which was a pain in the ass.

Griff 07-04-2020 05:05 PM

Happy. Yes.

2 Attachment(s)
Got up at 5:30 and drove to the West Branch of the Delaware. Apparently the water at reservoir release was 46.5F today. We paddled from Stilesville, NY to Shehawken, PA.

Griff 07-04-2020 05:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)

BigV 07-04-2020 06:13 PM

Living.

monster 07-04-2020 10:30 PM

I finally shelved all my dictionaries. I had to move travel books to another case, and have a double row in places but..... :D

oh and the fireworks were THE BEST (although no wind meant shrapnel showers..... I have dandruff like Braille and you could probably build an entire new firework from what was in my bra....

xoxoxoBruce 07-04-2020 11:16 PM

They have fireworks at a school and a fire company that I can hear from inside my house. I didn't hear anything tonight. Might of been called off or I'm getting deafer.

monster 07-04-2020 11:36 PM

All public fireworks are cancelled here. These were not :) Just professional quality and then some :D

xoxoxoBruce 07-05-2020 12:45 AM

Hmm, do you have a Geiger counter? :lol:

BigV 07-05-2020 12:29 PM

4 Attachment(s)
By 10 am, I had completed the cleaning of the garage roof.

Befores:
Attachment 70934

Attachment 70933

Afters:
Attachment 70936

Attachment 70935

Clodfobble 07-05-2020 12:42 PM

Nice work! Roof stuff is fun. Power washing, too.

Gravdigr 07-05-2020 12:43 PM

:thumb:

Griff 07-05-2020 03:35 PM

Good work!

xoxoxoBruce 07-06-2020 12:37 AM

Now you've taken off the extra layer of protection from the sun and the elements. :p:

BigV 07-06-2020 01:23 AM

definitely one way of looking at it.

that same layer slowed the removal of the element water, which wants to get to the center of the earth. I want to expedited its journey by moving it off the roof most quickly.

xoxoxoBruce 07-06-2020 01:53 AM

Turf, and a goat to mow it. :lol:

glatt 07-06-2020 06:46 AM

Wow.

BigV 07-06-2020 10:58 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce (Post 1054864)
Turf, and a goat to mow it. :lol:

You speak in jest, but being famously literal and humorless, I believe you make a good point, one I do support. But, support is key here. The structure was not made to support the weight of a turf roof. Unfortunately. I love the look and the idea but a real turf roof would crush the structure underneath after letting it soak into rottenness.

There's a real green roof at the Blueberry Park nearby, just the roof over the picnic shelter. It's quite solid, post and beam construction with no need for walls. They've even applied a rubber base layer and "walls" along the roof to contain the water from the drip irrigation also installed. There are mostly tiny sedums and other succulents. I do see some grassy volunteers planted by the birds.

Attachment 70944

Attachment 70945

I find them attractive and I appreciate your encouragement and creativity.

Gravdigr 07-06-2020 04:44 PM

What's that weigh when saturated with water, I wonder...

monster 07-06-2020 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gravdigr (Post 1054895)
What's that weigh when saturated with water, I wonder...

Well, are the supports made of African or European timber?