The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   What's making you happy today? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=14055)

DanaC 06-08-2008 04:26 PM

I have a herding breed (well, actually more accurately a droving breed). Pilau loves gate watching and if allowed to sit out all day he would, and he'd bark at passers by. But he won't just bark and bark. There'll be an odd bout of barking followed by sitting peacefully.

Any breed can be a barker.

Cic I have exactly the same attitude to dogs as you. Only one time did we ever get rid of a dog and then it was by giving him to a friend. A rescue dog, he was lovely, but our westie woudn't take to him and my eczema got really bad around that time and we thought (wrongly) it was connected to Nelson. Now, as a grownup, even if the dog was making me ill I'd find a way to live with it :P

Cicero 06-08-2008 05:08 PM

There were a couple of dogs in there I could tell could be trusted to exhibit perfect behavior all the time. My husband didn't pick one of those either. Proving that it is a matter of which doggy you fall in love with. We talk all practicalities but most of that is bullshit. blah blah blah....We are going to get a quirky dog and then train it. I mean, c'mon, dogs are usually like their owners. We are quirky people bound to have a quirky dog. There are older dogs on this property that will be a good example to a younger dog of the traits it needs to fit in with this little pack. I think it will do fine. The other dogs that live here are perfect. Hopefully the new dog will fit in and take things by example.
:)
I'm getting a mixed breed probably. There's just no telling the bad habits it will try and pick up.....They say this breed does this...and this breed does that...but they are kind of like people. No telling until you have to live with it. It probably won't leave the toilet seat up, I bet.

Sundae 06-08-2008 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HungLikeJesus (Post 460559)
The second set frequently escapes. They like to chase cars and will stand in front of the car as if herding it. They also harass anyone walking, running or biking in the neighborhood, nipping and barking, one on each side. I almost smashed one with a large rock when it came running at me in my own yard. It veered away at the last second.

This is terrible dog ownership.

Personally I think if you don't have a secure yard, your dog should never be out unattended. Our dog could clear our garden fence, and although she was not inclined to, one of us always watched her. Okay, sometimes from the window, sometimes because we were playing in the garden, but she was always within call. She had a lot of exercise every day (miles of walks between me & my Dad) so the garden was just another room to her.

I don't know what the laws are in the US, but in the UK if a dog bites a person they can be put down by court order. I've said before that I'm not a dog person, but I do respect animals. However if a strange dog "nipped" me I would seriously consider contacting the police. At the very least have a conversation with the owners. Not out of malice, but because the next nip could be a child, which could flail about, scream, excite the dog and lead to serious injury.

spudcon 06-08-2008 05:51 PM

I have two air conditioners running, and I am finally cool.

sweetwater 06-08-2008 07:29 PM

Herding breeds tend to consider themselves co-workers of their owners, but they hope the owner will take the lead. They crave jobs. Barking is a way of releasing energy when they are kept as yard ornaments and not given the opportunity to use their wonderful brains. In general herding breeds don't make good watch dogs (as opposed to alarm dogs) because they are protective of their owner over any property. Actually most dogs desire interesting tasks and opportunities to practice their talents, and won't bark their fool heads off if given the exercise they need. Herding breeds are my group of choice, but I can't provide for their exercise needs now so I don't have one now. I miss my German shepherds' incomparable intelligence and companionship.

kerosene 06-08-2008 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sundae Girl (Post 460575)
This is terrible dog ownership.

Personally I think if you don't have a secure yard, your dog should never be out unattended.

I wholeheartedly agree. For some reason, a lot of people around where I live don't get this concept. They let their dogs run around our yard where our children play. I find it disturbing and rude.

Sundae 06-09-2008 08:36 AM

I've just won the Lottery!
Only £55, but that's more than I've ever one.

Funny thing is, no-one won the Jackpot, and I'd been daydreaming about buying a house round the corner. I almost chucked my ticket back in the drawer without checking further. I wouldn't have binned it - I'm not that happy-go-lucky.

4 numbers!
Wohoooo!

monster 06-09-2008 11:05 AM

Yay, SG!

I has kittenz :D and summer is here :D and I just placed my biggest ever scrip order which is going to boost the profits a ton for another record-breaking year :D

happy happy. too much to do, but I can deal... *continues happy dance*

BigV 06-11-2008 01:34 PM

Recent positive feedback on photographs I've made.

:) * 100

Sundae 06-11-2008 06:19 PM

Justified V.

I'm happy tonight because I'm going to be good and get an early(ish) night.
And because the Diz cat came out of his heated bed to sleep on my foot. Not the foot of the bed, my actual foot - I'm sat on top of the covers with my knees drawn up.

It's sad in a way, because I know he's missing the comfort of another cat. But I hope that will be resolved when I get him a companion and they get used to eachother. Just happy because at least I am a comforting alternative. Although I'm getting up to pee like a racist soon before going to sleep.

I feel very calm tonight.
I like myself and my life.
Which is an immeasurable pleasure.

Undertoad 06-11-2008 06:28 PM

Yes, justified V!

jinx 06-11-2008 07:03 PM

Yeah, lotsa good ones V, keep 'em coming.

Sundae 06-12-2008 06:17 AM

Dozing this morning in the heady minutes before the alarm.
Diz came and lay cheek to cheek with me.
That's what Dylan used to do.

Lovely start to the day.
(makes up for the 07.08 start of Diz crying, wanting strokes and then trying to play Kamikaze Death Cat with my outstretched arm)

DanaC 06-12-2008 11:24 AM

Oh I'm so glad Dyz is coming around again. I'm sure he still misses Dylan, but at least he's back to doing playful cat stuff:)

Making me happy today is....I went to get my results for the year (posted on a noticeboard in the History foyer) and not only did I not fuck this semester up as I had anticipated (what with fighting an election and dealing with a near constant political firefight in my own party, as well as doing the job of councillor alongside) but I won the KPMG prize:) The KPMG prize is awarded to the student with the best performance in the second year for History BA or Int. Hist and Politics BA. That means I was the highest performing second year student out of all the History and International Hist and Politics degree students at our university. I am over the fucking moon! I have a grade point average of 7.33 which is a strong 1st Class. If I can keep this up (or even improve?) in my third year I am going to get a very good degree:)

TheMercenary 06-12-2008 01:03 PM

I am on my last 48 hour shift for the month and do not have to come back to this job til 5 July.

Cruise in 9 days, DMB concert on 4 July. I hope I can make it.