The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   What's making you happy today? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=14055)

lumberjim 03-11-2014 03:31 PM

I rode my motorcycle to the gym this morning. That made me pretty happy

orthodoc 03-11-2014 07:29 PM

Bone scan is good!!!

My bone scan is all good. NO skeletal mets!! I am VERY happy. I feel more confident after this scan than I did after the PET/CT last summer, because it just does the torso. Granted, most bone mets show up in the spine, pelvis, ribs, and occasionally skull, but they can show up in the limbs. Now I know that my stress fracture is just that, and my other persistent pains are just aches and pains and nothing more.

This is the new lease, the ticket to the next few years. I don't have to worry as I try to get into shape again; if I'm sore, it's just that I worked out too hard (or I'm getting old). It's hard to express how much this means. I was very very nervous prior to this scan (I'm embarrassed to say how nervous, but some of you know). Now I can take a huge breath and let it out, and get some sleep.

And get to work on my poster presentation, since I have a 'practice run' in front of several faculty next week. :eek:

I desperately need to learn how to turn data into bar graphs in Excel. Elementary, I know, except for those of us who've never had to use Excel. Never mind, I'll figure it out - although hints are welcome!

Thank you for putting up with me, guys ... you're the best.

limey 03-12-2014 03:05 AM

Awesomeness personified, Ortho!
And use the chart wizard button in Excel.

Sent by thought transference

lumberjim 03-12-2014 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orthodoc (Post 894457)

And get to work on my posterior presentation,

This is all I saw in that post.

Kidding. Great news for you. I guess God did hear you after all.

footfootfoot 03-12-2014 10:12 AM

Bones can be good!

Awesome.

footfootfoot 03-12-2014 10:25 AM

Dogs can hear a tree's bark.

Sundae 03-12-2014 12:08 PM

Very happy for you, Ortho.
And happy for us to have you sticking around.

Sundae 03-12-2014 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by footfootfoot (Post 894492)
Dogs can hear a tree's bark.

But they can't look up.

Carruthers 03-12-2014 02:12 PM

Won £25 on the National Lottery!

Well, more accurately, given that the ticket cost £2 I only won £23, but I'm not going to quibble.

Sundae 03-12-2014 08:18 PM

It's Cellarity Luck Week!
I won £3.20 on the Euromillions. Net profit £1.20. But it was bought half-past February, so it now simply counts as a windfall rather than a return on an investment.

limey 03-13-2014 06:50 PM

Yay. Another two-week job completed which involved just about all the document-handling software I've got. PDF to screenshot to JPG and back to PDF (to repaginate), OCRd to Word, then translated using my translation memory software ... (Nerd? Me?!? Well, maybe ... :D)

xoxoxoBruce 03-13-2014 09:49 PM

Not a nerd, a highly trained, properly equipped, professional conjurer of magically transformed from crap to perfect documents. 3 times fast. :haha:

Carruthers 04-06-2014 06:01 AM

I was, as per usual, wide awake in the still watches of the night so I decided to have a look out of the window to see what the outside world had to offer.

I have mowed the lawns twice this year but have had to leave a few patches uncut as wild flowers grow there. As I peered into the gloom, I was attempting to remember why I had left an unmown patch by a small tree. Further thoughts on the subject weren't required as the 'patch' started to move. I grabbed a torch and spotted the biggest Badger I have ever seen in my life. There isn't a shortage of Badgers in the country, quite the reverse, but most people will only ever see one dead at the side of the road. I've seen my fair share of live ones but they tend to be at a distance and rather fleeting, but this fellow was just feet away from me and completely unbothered by the light from my torch. He spent a couple of minutes nosing around the garden and then disappeared under the hedge to next door.

It made my sleeplessness worthwhile. Well, almost...

Griff 04-06-2014 06:08 AM

I like to leave patches of wildflowers as well, but we won't be mowing any lawns around here for quite some time.

Carruthers 04-06-2014 07:18 AM

1 Attachment(s)
By way of illustration...

In the Autumn of 2012 many lawns along the road were churned up by Badgers foraging for food overnight.
The summer had been particularly wet which caused a food shortage for them so they extended their range and feeding habits.
Our front lawn was churned up but in such a manner as to be able to replace and repair the turf without too much difficulty.
The local church yard suffered in a similar manner in the Autumn of 2009. Repairs of previous damage can be seen to the left of the excavations.
People are pretty forgiving of the local wildlife, I'm glad to say.