The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   What's making you happy today? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=14055)

henry quirk 12-15-2018 10:21 AM

affordable care act

"A federal judge in Texas said on Friday that the Affordable Care Act's individual coverage mandate is unconstitutional and that the rest of the law therefore cannot stand." -- from one of many stories flittin' around the ether.

Can it be? Is that awful law on it's way out? Mebbe, mebbe not. Today, however, the thought it might be headin' to the graveyard is enough to put a bounce in my step.

Diaphone Jim 12-15-2018 12:05 PM

And take that bounce out of the step of 10,000,000 others.

Gravdigr 12-15-2018 12:38 PM

My step, happily, is unaffected.

henry quirk 12-15-2018 12:48 PM

"take that bounce out of the step of 10,000,000 others."

My problem: how?

-----

EDIT: "take that bounce out of the step of 10,000,000 others."

Good.

Gravdigr 12-15-2018 01:15 PM

To hell wid 'em...with their bouncing and their bebopping all over the place.

And their Dan Fogleberg records...

BigV 12-15-2018 05:41 PM

The Muppets are making me happy today.

Glinda 12-15-2018 06:07 PM

Thanks for your good wishes, everyone!

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce (Post 1021025)
Did they hear the other group had offered more money?

That was for a different book project/project manager from the same company, which I had to turn down in order to finish the last bits of my current project.

I don't fully understand the company's heirarchy and range of services. I do know it's very broad. They're primarily a business management and software provider, but they have an editing/publishing arm that produces 1500-2000 books per year.

Within that publishing arm are multiple project managers competing for available vendors like me to work on various book projects. The PMs have some sort of list they consult for approved editors/proofreaders, and one or another may not have dug deep enough to find out if I'm currently working on a different project. So I occasionally get queries from different PMs asking if I'm available to work on their project when I haven't yet finished my current project.

Y'know. The right hand often doesn't know what the left hand is doing. And so it goes . . .

;)

xoxoxoBruce 12-15-2018 11:01 PM

That's what I mean, I wonder if the left hand found out the right hand offered more money and figured they better up the ante to keep in the running on future projects.

Glinda 12-16-2018 03:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce (Post 1021119)
That's what I mean, I wonder if the left hand found out the right hand offered more money and figured they better up the ante to keep in the running on future projects.

Oh my, but you're a cunning creature. :D

But truthfully, my current PM raised the rate because the author wanted me to do a little additional work. Beyond checking the final proof bibliography against the author's original manuscript, the author asked if I could also do a bibliographic crosscheck against the citations mentioned in the final proof chapter files (to make sure the chapter citations match the bibliographic citations).

Guess what? They don't. A LOT.

So. I'm assuming the author has had a chance to review the chapter files I submitted and likes my work. And I'm assuming that the author is deeply interested in getting this edition of the book perfect. Because (I'm assuming) the original author of this book (and many others on matters concerning the throat and speaking) died earlier this year, and this 10th edition is meant to be a sort of tribute + all-inclusive, major reference work that updates all the shit that came before it. And so that's why, I'm assuming, they gave me a better rate for the whole book (320 pages), even though the extra work I'm doing concerns only the front/end matter (52 pages).

I don't know if any of this is true, but you got me thinking and I've had several cocktails, so there's that. :p:

Bottom line? Evidently, I'm a fucking genius when it comes to this picayune shit, but by god there's a spot on the planet for me!

:thumb:

Gravdigr 12-17-2018 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glinda (Post 1021132)
Evidently, I'm a fucking genius when it comes to this picayune shit...

Man, I know how ya feel. It's a burden sometimes ain't it?

:p:

Glinda 12-17-2018 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gravdigr (Post 1021192)
Man, I know how ya feel. It's a burden sometimes ain't it?

:p:

Yabbut, someone's gotta do it. :D

BTW, I finished my book project at 2 a.m. Sweet relief!

Now, I've got metric butt-tons of holiday pet sitting staring me in the face. :neutral:

Gravdigr 12-17-2018 12:58 PM

I got all I can handle just being sexy.

xoxoxoBruce 12-23-2018 04:13 PM

3 Attachment(s)
A surprise Christmas gift out of the blue, a 73 year old book from a guy in Texas I've never met. I had him build a transmission for me 18 months ago and we correspond regularly, but this was a shocker.

limey 12-23-2018 04:44 PM

Lucky xoB!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Clodfobble 12-23-2018 06:33 PM

Wow, what a neat find!