The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Arts & Entertainment (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Books you're currently reading??? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=4348)

JeepNGeorge 11-14-2003 04:36 AM

Books you're currently reading???

Instead of all the music/gaming entertainment. How bout the current/last book you've read?

Right now I'm reading book 3 of stephen kings dark tower series. Book 5 should be out this month (if it's not already) and the whole series is a good read if your a king fan.

I've been in a King/Koontz rut lately, but I still have to read from Leaves of Grass, Walt Whitman daily.

Griff 11-14-2003 06:31 AM

Cryptonomicon was recommended in a previous book thread. I cannot put it down, it is as good as advertised!

elSicomoro 11-14-2003 08:38 AM

I can't read. Rho reads books to me and I memorize them. So, when I do pick one up, it looks like I can read.

r9703410 11-14-2003 08:41 AM

Well now I'm starting to read "White Fang" by Jack London.

If you really want a good read pick up "Brave New World" I don't recall the author but I know that theres only one author.

Good reading to you!

russotto 11-14-2003 09:02 AM

_White Fang_ is on my short list of "books which suck so bad I threw them across the room rather than finish reading them".

Currently I'm reading Pratchett's _The Color of Magic_. I've been resisting getting sucked into DiscWorld for years, but with the Vorkosigan series apparently finished and the Harrington series just plain stalled, I think I have room for a new literary addiction.

perth 11-14-2003 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by r9703410
If you really want a good read pick up "Brave New World" I don't recall the author but I know that theres only one author.
Aldous Huxley.

I've completely lost interest in the Wheel of Time series. Someone predicted this in the previous thread, I forgot who.

I've been re-reading Vonnegut some, "Breakfast of Champions", "Slaughterhouse 5". I find I can't put one of his books down after I've started reading.

"Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep", Philip K. Dick. Better than "Blade Runner", and well-written to boot. I think I'm gonna read more of his work.

SteveDallas 11-14-2003 10:11 AM

"A Youth in Babylon" by David Friedman.... entertaining memoirs of Friedman, an exploitation film producer

"Mission Jupiter: The Spectacular Journey of the Galileo Spacecraft" by Daniel Fischer

"Egypt's Dazzling Sun: Amenhotep III and His World"

greenian 11-14-2003 12:16 PM

I'm currently reading Guns, Germs and Steel by Jared Diamond (anthropology) A history of the Mongol Empire by I don't know, and The Pilgrims Progress by John Bunyan (classic fiction)

r9703410 11-14-2003 01:02 PM

Yeah thanks perth. I loved it, but the first 3 chapters were hard to get through.

Torrere 11-14-2003 04:05 PM

I read A Fire Upon The Deep by Vernor Vinge yesterday. (Er, I actually read sixty pages in about two hours the day before, but most of it was on Thursday when I read from 9 AM to 2 AM.). That was such an incredible book! It started out magnificently and finished awesomely: the book is dense, the end-of-the-book excitement lasted for a hundred pages. One of the main characters occasionally refers to her grad school courses in Applied Theology. The book is strewn with awesome lines like "He was in the shade now, only sunlight was touching him".

The language was masterfully done: it felt like he wrote from the perspective of the characters instead of describing the characters from the perspective of a man living in modern America. This meant that it took me a chapter and a half to figure out what exactly the wolf-like Tines were, but I thought they were so cool when I finally did. Actually, that happened quite often: huge events were approached subtly and naturally, so that I didn't realize how cataclysmic the events were until I was several pages into them.

Griff 11-14-2003 04:11 PM

That was a great book, Torrere. That really was a great hook slowly discovering just what they were. I wonder if he built them as he wrote or if he had them figured out ahead of time?

Torrere 11-14-2003 04:16 PM

The Wheel of Time series starts out really well; the first three books are a very fun adventure, the next three* are full of huge events, then the series becomes stuck in morass. Three notable events have happened in the last three thousand pages. Now, after each book is released, theories run abound that "Robert Jordan is getting everyone into position, and the series is really going to take off now!". Unfortunately, less and less happens in each book (rumor has it that only two chapters in the tenth book advanced the story). By now, the theory is that Robert Jordan has written himself into a corner and he would be hard pressed to stall for an eleventh book (this may be why he's writing prequels).

I generally recommend people to stop on the fifth book, while the series is still good. The Amazon reviews for the first books in the series are flooded with messages of "don't even start!".

* There is debate as to whether the six and seventh book should be counted as part of the "big things happening" group or the "not worth reading" group.

tonksy 11-14-2003 04:18 PM

i finished illusions by richard bach for the...nintieth time the other day. always get something different out of it. very 'small' book that isn't as light a read as it first seems.;)

perth 11-14-2003 04:53 PM

Re: Wheel of Time.

I dunno, it just really seems like he is dragging stuff on way longer than necessary. Its one thing to want to write a big, sprawling epic of a story. Its quite another to go on for 5 pages explaining just why person A is pissed off at person B. I can't make myself finish book five. I keep wishing someone would just kill all the main characters off already. Starting with Nynaeve, closely followed by Rand. Bleh.

On the other hand, I have thorougly enjoyed the "Voyage of the Jerle Shannara" series by Terry Brooks lately. Despite the numerous books in the Shannara series, Brooks can at least tell a complete story without this "Tune in next week!" crap.

Torrere 11-15-2003 10:04 PM

Nynaeve isn't all /that/ bad. I think that the most efficient amputation for the series would be to kill off or simply abandon the entire Perrin sub-plot; Perrin, Faile, Berelain, and all.