The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   What's making you happy today? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=14055)

infinite monkey 03-30-2011 08:30 AM

Finally, eh?

Pete Zicato 03-30-2011 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monster (Post 719585)
PASSPORTS! arrived. The hockey weekend in Canada may commence.

So who gets credit, FSM or Post Toastaism?

Clodfobble 03-30-2011 09:44 AM

Sweet! Good to hear, Monster.

plthijinx 03-30-2011 06:01 PM

Good to hear monie!

Me beez happy cuz I'm going flying tomorrow morning! Yay!

monster 03-30-2011 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete Zicato (Post 719591)
So who gets credit, FSM or Post Toastaism?

I'mm'a call the nekkid fairy. 'cause I was in the shower when the guy hammered on the door. And my cowskirt (yeah, go look that up) was two floors down in the tumble drier.

monster 03-30-2011 11:35 PM

Hebe got another first in the Breaststroke. By .03 of a second. I was at the lane end screaming my head off because she was behind with about 10 yards to go. (I'm "coach" at this meet -like I could tell her anything about swiming). She did it.

her highschool coach-to-be recognized her when she walked on deck and said that her stroke was so nice she's surpised her 100 time isn't faster than it is (I never told the coach her time, she must've researched it) ...and the coach of the school we're zoned for but opted out of came over to say how nicely she swam too.

And her new coach was on the same bus on the way back to school and told me "She's going to make me look good".

O,h and her new summer team coach was there and said all his swimmers were afraid of her (they all swim for the same winter team and are her close friends, but it was fun to hear that)

I know, this should probably be in the bragging parents thread, but hell, it's making me happy today.

And we got the passports.

And we went to the hockey tonight and the Whalers came from 3 behind to win in overtime.

And I can still do the splits.

I guess it's asking too much to hope to anti-domestic-slovenliness fairies will deal with my house in time for banana lady's arrival in 12 hours?

TheMercenary 03-31-2011 08:35 AM

The good, I don't have to work today.

The bad, I stayed up to late on Chat with some other Dewllers and I have a headache.

Clodfobble 03-31-2011 01:12 PM

I had a eureka that Minifobette's control issues regarding potty-training apparently stem from an anxiety with our physical bathroom. She has been going all day just fine in the little portable potty, now that it's out in the middle of the living room.

DanaC 03-31-2011 04:51 PM

That's totally awesome Clod!

What's making me happy: this week I have been almost efficient and responsible with my time...I have done some actual work (!) on the sources I gathered in London (writing up some findings). More importantly, perhaps, I arranged a Doc's appointment for yesterday ( in the morning no less!) and attended (as opposed to oversleeping and phoning through a cancellation 15 mins before I was due to attend as is my usual style). Got my elbow checked and yes, it is just tennis elbow again, and I am on some strong anti-inflammatories.

This is important because, after my last experience with the injection into the tendon (fucking owww!) which helped for abot 48 hours before it got worse than ever and stayed that way, it's been gradually getting worse. I realised the other day that i have slowly been transferring tasks to my left hand/arm (such as lifting a full kettle) and sometimes when i attempt to, for instance, scratch an itch on my nose I can't actually get my hand to my face without great diffculty. This has been going on for fucking months, on and off.

Not only did I go to my docs appt, but whilst my prescription was being made up, I popped round to the opticians and they said they could fit me in for an eye test in half an hour. So after I'd collected my meds, I went off and had my eyes tested. I am now the proud owner of some decent reading glasses.

I have noticed over the last year that my sight in my right eye has become quite bad. If I close my right eye I can read perfectly with my left, If I close my left eye the text is completely blurred. It's been deteriorating for a year or so, but this last year it's become a real problem. I find if I am reading I get tired really quickly, and often end up closing my right eye to read. Whilst working in the archives this last reaearch trip, I bought some over the counter reading glasses and the difference it made was profound. I have also been using a magnifying glass to read ingredients and cooking instructions on ready meals.

Apparently, the left eye needs barely any prescription at all, but the right eye has become very long-sighted (I think is what he said) I also have a stigmatism in the right eye.

Despite the fact that I am still getting used to the glasses, and get that slightly woozy feeling from wearing them, I am already able to work/study longer than before. I spent three hours today reading sources on my computer screen and didn't have to go and lie down halfway through as I have found myself doing recently.

The lenses should have been £99 and then the cost of the frames on top of that. But there was a special offer on a small range of unisex frames that basically meant paying for the frames alone, with the cost of the lenses knocked off. I then added anti-glare and scratch protection and the total cost was only £116.

AND I was a good citizen and filled out my census return online this afternoon.

Clodfobble 03-31-2011 05:49 PM

Ooh! Can we see a picture of you in your sexy new glasses?

DanaC 03-31-2011 06:39 PM

Yes....when I have washed my hair lol.

Right now it looks like I dipped my head into a deep fat fryer:p

plthijinx 03-31-2011 08:39 PM

Went flying today and the weather was perfect. Bobby flew the leg to college station where we had lunch at dixie chicken and i flew the leg back to houston with a perfect landing just before the numbers. Vids later when i get home from work.

Sundae 04-01-2011 10:04 AM

I meant to say yesterday - Tiger's hours with the Speech Therapist have been cut. It was previously an hour a week, now it's three hours a term! She feels he is getting enough support and backup in the classroom, and has made excellent progress. Pats on the back all round. It was an expected outcome, once he had someone with him on a daily basis, but it's still a good positive step.

I also stepped into stop one of our "troubled" boys getting into trouble unfairly today.
We have a rather odd little girl, who was taken out of school in October because she hated it so much. Mum decided she could not learn in this environment, and decided to home school. She came back a couple of weeks ago. She really is a funny little thing, absolutely tiny, with a creepy stare and she speaks like a Victorian street urchin. I can imagine her creeping through people's catflaps at night and gouging their eyes out with her tiny thumbs....

Anyway, once we get past the screams of "I 'ate skoowl. I wanna go 'ome!" she calms down, joins in and seems to love it. But she has told her Mum that big boys have been picking on her and pulling her hair. Now I see her every lunchtime, happy as Larry, bossing much older children around.

This lunchtime, Bill, who is a wonderful kid, but really does have some "issues" was trying to get her to play. As is usual with Bill, he wasn't taking no for an answer, just saying, "But why....? Why....? I just want to show you something!" right in her face. I got him to back off and he went away to bug someone else. Ten minutes later, here comes the little pixie, with three older girls in tow. They come to me and say she's told them a bad boy was hitting her, and they've come to sort it out. She has already identified Bill at this point. Had I not stepped in to question her, "He didn't hit you did he?" shakes head "I was with you the whole time" nods head I think he might have been before the Headmaster. At which point his vehement denials would probably set him off into genuine bad behaviour.

I have warned the other Dinner Ladies.
I will keep an eye on her.
The last thing I would want would be for someone to genuinely hit or hurt her in any way, so I'm doing it for her protection too. But she's physically fearless and I've no doubt would scream merry hell in an instant if anyone touched her.

Anyway, Bill knows to stay away from her. He probably won't. But if I can keep him from being unfairly accused I will. I'll save it for the times when he really has done something worth reporting.

glatt 04-01-2011 11:33 AM

It's been like 5 years or so since my last routine medical exam. So I finally got around to doing one this morning. I feel good about getting that out of the way. Even though certain parts of it are unpleasant.

jimhelm 04-01-2011 11:42 AM

did you sing Moon River?

glatt 04-01-2011 12:08 PM

Indeed, I did.

HungLikeJesus 04-01-2011 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glatt (Post 720325)
It's been like 5 years or so since my last routine medical exam. So I finally got around to doing one this morning. I feel good about getting that out of the way. Even though certain parts of it are unpleasant.

I haven't had one for at least 20 years, but I go to the dentist every four months. I think that counts for something.

Perry Winkle 04-01-2011 01:19 PM

We got a new dog about two weeks ago. He's a four year old Great Dane named Titan (we're just going to keep the name). Very sweet and gentle dog.

Titan was at about 100 lbs when he was left at the Humane Society. He needs to put on 30+ lbs to be a healthy weight again. He was 105 lbs when we last weighed him.

His previous owners wanted him put down. They thought he was aggressive toward women. We haven't seen him be anything but lovey-dovey with people. We think that maybe he was aggressive toward one particular woman.

Our German Shepherd is still adjusting...

We made an offer on a house last night. They were kind of surprised that we had a 20% down-payment and cash for closing costs socked away. Apparently this is nearly unheard of around here, especially for young couples.

Looking forward to our first non-rental home.

DanaC 04-01-2011 01:49 PM

Exciting stuff Perry! And sounds like Titan struck lucky with his second owner.

I just placed an order for an I-Pad 2 for Mum's 65th Birthday pressie:)

Me, my Bro and SiL, and the two Js are pooling for it. The girls will be buying a case/stand. Am so excited. She is really into the whole idea of ipads having played around with the girls' pads. To the extent that she was considering raiding her small savings account to get one. She's going to be sooo surprised!

Went for a wifi + 3g capability, with 32 gig, in white.

Only downside is that the stores are all out of stock and talking about having them 'within 28 days'. Here's hoping that that means less than 28 days 'cos her birthday is 3 weeks today.

Sundae 04-02-2011 05:34 AM

Got a bonanza eBay delivery this morning.
The most expensive thing was a skirt from Next (High Street retalier above my personal spending limit) which I bought for £4.99. Originally marked up at £29.99. Everything else was far cheaper, including some bargains for the Tiger at or less than 99p.

Next term I am tasked with improving his vocabulary. One of the words is Peacock. 2 peacock feathers, 60p. If he gets to touch them and I tickle his face with them (as well as showing a picture of course) he will never forget the word. Also got an end-of-line dog puppet with a velcro mouth and ball. This will help with his hand/eye coordination. I expected it to be a little ragged, but it's a lovely plush item.

Also got some "touchable" bubbles. We've pretty much rinsed conventional bubbles. Oh and two bubble counters (they count the ones you pop) although they seem to require a LOT of pressure to work... have to see how they fare. Again, makes blowing bubbles into a counting game, added value.

OH and my main reason for posting - got a book from Merc. Thank you very much hon.
Am reading it already. Fascinating.

Griff 04-02-2011 06:10 AM

Well done PW!

Trilby 04-02-2011 06:23 AM

Sundae Girl phoned me this morning!!!

Made my day!!

:) Much happiness

Sundae 04-02-2011 06:25 AM

Quicker than me!

I had to walk into the spare room and log on.
Lovely speaking to you babba, made my day too.

casimendocina 04-03-2011 04:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clodfobble (Post 720037)
I had a eureka that Minifobette's control issues regarding potty-training apparently stem from an anxiety with our physical bathroom. She has been going all day just fine in the little portable potty, now that it's out in the middle of the living room.

Gotta love those eureka moments. Long may it continue.

ZenGum 04-03-2011 04:57 AM

Except the bit about the potty in the middle of the living room. One mountain at a time.

Sundae 04-03-2011 05:11 AM

I have a cat litter tray in my bedroom.
It's about managing whatever way you can.

Major congrats Clod.

casimendocina 04-03-2011 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZenGum (Post 720685)
One mountain at a time.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sundae Girl (Post 720691)
It's about managing whatever way you can.

Major congrats Clod.

:yesnod:

infinite monkey 04-04-2011 01:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Mad Men will have 3 more seasons!

Undertoad 04-04-2011 02:22 PM

Christopher Hitchens is still alive; and well enough to write his weekly column for Slate. And well enough to compose a line like this one, describing Florida pastor Terry Jones (italics mine):

Quote:

The spilling of blood and the spoliation of property—all for nothing, and ostensibly "provoked" by the corny, brainless antics of a devout American nonentity, notice of whose mere existence is beneath the dignity of any thinking person.
"...whose mere existence is beneath the dignity of any thinking person." Niiiice. We've had a few creative insults threads, but Mr. Hitchens would dominate if he were here. He loves to concoct devastating ones.

Such as about Jerry Falwell, a few days after his death: "If they'd have given him an enema, they could have buried him in a matchbox."

I love Hitchens, his odds of surviving his cancer are apparently short, but he's still going, and that made me happy today.

elSicomoro 04-04-2011 07:01 PM

As I mentioned in my most recent blog post, I've been battling "stage fright" in the dating world recently after a pretty tough string of rejections.

Well, I decided I was tired of that bullshit...I took that stage fright outside today and knocked the fuck out of it. There's a gal I'm interested in and I asked her on a date. I haven't gotten an answer yet (had to do it via FB...don't have her phone #), but even if she says no, I feel good and I'm not going to be devastated by a no. It's just not in my character to be so gun shy about shit like that...and I'm sure as hell not going to start now.

monster 04-04-2011 08:19 PM

Whalers up 3:2 -3 minutes left......

YEEEEES!

monster 04-04-2011 08:22 PM

oh ouch, 5 minute penalty against. 1:15 to go......

monster 04-04-2011 08:32 PM

wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiinnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn!

We are all very happy today in this household.

Whalers through to round 2

Griff 04-05-2011 05:43 AM

The Red Sox are 3.5 games out 3 games into the season.

monster 04-05-2011 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Griff (Post 721086)
The Red Sox are 3.5 games out 3 games into the season.

Okay, can you explain that to a higgerant furriner please? I know that Red Sox are a baseball team. (They are, aren't they?) I guess they can be 3.5 games if they're halfway through a game.... but then I'm lost. Is it like when there's a bonus question so my kid gets 14% on a test?

Undertoad 04-05-2011 05:48 PM

J's lad just walked in and said it's his goal to get his own place by Summer.

glory oh glory be... omine domine domino lorem ipsem nougat... lord as an atheist i never ask you for anything, but just this once...

So I says to him: "Yeah, y'know, not only do you want to be close to your daughter, you also need a good-looking place that you can take women back to."

Him: "Yeah --" (realizes) "Yeah!!"

Me: "And you know, you gotta live in a nice area. The women, they see, the cleaner the neighborhood is, the cleaner they figure your junk is gonna be."

Him: "Yeah! Yeah women they figure this stuff out don't they."

kid i'm just feeding you the clues you need to make a good decision

Pico and ME 04-05-2011 06:57 PM

Hee hee, nice work there, UT.

Got the 21 yr old stepson back in the house this January. I have all sort of rules meant to make sharing the house not all that comfortable. Like absolutely, positively no entertaining at all, for one. I've got other ways too. He started off thinking that it was going to be like the good ole days when he was a kid. HA!

monster 04-05-2011 07:20 PM

scuse me, I still need answers.....

Griff 04-05-2011 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monster (Post 721102)
Okay, can you explain that to a higgerant furriner please? I know that Red Sox are a baseball team. (They are, aren't they?) I guess they can be 3.5 games if they're halfway through a game.... but then I'm lost. Is it like when there's a bonus question so my kid gets 14% on a test?

They lost their first 3 games and Baltimore won their first four putting them 3.5 games behind in baseball parlance.

TheMercenary 04-05-2011 09:06 PM

We shall see our youngest dau Wed at College for the day. She is excited to show us around school; we are excited to have her show us around the school.

monster 04-06-2011 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Griff (Post 721296)
They lost their first 3 games and Baltimore won their first four putting them 3.5 games behind in baseball parlance.

So the teams are seven games apart and you split the difference?

....and you don't like the red sox, so that's why you're happy?

Griff 04-06-2011 06:14 PM

Schadenfreude. The baseball experts were giving the Red Sox the "World Series" four games ago. They should be very good but pitching isn't that predictable.

plthijinx 04-06-2011 06:44 PM

Sitting here in a mexican restaurant waiting for our order for work. Tastey margarita i hot here. Hehehe we have a one hour party scheduled at 7:30. This should be fun!

footfootfoot 04-08-2011 09:31 AM

An oldie, but goodie

infinite monkey 04-08-2011 09:36 AM

Thanks foot, I just sent that to some present and past cow orkers. Too funny!

Sundae 04-08-2011 11:26 AM

Grandad is finally out of hospital and settled into his own room in a Nursing Home.
It's even the one Mum had flagged as ideal when he first started to accept he wasn't capable of living independently at the beginning of the year. Hillside.

I thought Mum was taking a real risk starting to empty his bungalow and cancel his contracts last week, but I admit it's worked out and she is now ahead of the game. As soon as I've shaken this foul foul illness I'll go and see him. It will be lovely to see him settled, cared for, looked after.

DanaC 04-08-2011 06:56 PM

The bloody League of fucking Gentlemen!

Sundae, you absolute peach! Thankyou. I am going to watch the live show tomorrow. And probably the panto as well.

I am still compiling your Big Finish audios as filtered through the 'does it involve Pegg, Frost or any of the League' filter.

Sundae 04-09-2011 08:21 AM

Sorry, missed this completely :)
Sadly, sent you the old copy of Drury Lane.
You need to return that to me and I'll send you the updated one, as it has the commentary and the Mayonnaise and Yoghurt documentary.

But I figure you have plenty to keep you going for a long while yet.

Don't worry, what with hacking myself to death (coughing as opposed to axe work) and trying to help sort out Grandad's bungalow, I'm both fully occupied and completely shattered.

Glad you got it anyway - I always worry these days.

elSicomoro 04-09-2011 01:36 PM

The gal I asked out on Monday via FB? Heard back from her today...it's a date. :)

Griff 04-09-2011 01:51 PM

sweet :)

elSicomoro 04-09-2011 02:00 PM

Ummm...okay, so...I met this other cool gal last night (friend of a friend). We talked and had a good time. I asked HER on a date a little while ago...and SHE said yes.

Ummm...this is really fucking insane. This hasn't happened in 15 years...aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!

*trying not to freak out*

glatt 04-09-2011 05:17 PM

Self confidence is attractive. Way to go sycamore!

DanaC 04-09-2011 05:45 PM

Awesomesauce, Syc!

You'll be fine. Don't hang too much on it and be yourself. Have fun:)

elSicomoro 04-09-2011 06:26 PM

Oh...happy birthday Glatt!

Clodfobble 04-09-2011 07:33 PM

Wait, what? I don't see his birthday at the bottom of the home page... but just in case, happy birthday glatt!

elSicomoro 04-09-2011 07:47 PM

I guess he didn't put it in here...it's on FB.

footfootfoot 04-09-2011 08:01 PM

Damn, Syc's getting more ass than a toilet seat.

monster 04-09-2011 10:30 PM

Scored a great deal on a lightly used blocker and catcher for Hector for his birthday.

glatt 04-10-2011 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sycamore (Post 722321)
Oh...happy birthday Glatt!

Thanks! I had a good birthday. I thought I had it on the Cellar calendar, but I don't see it there. I'm not sure what happened. I must have fiddled around with my preferences or something and lost it.

infinite monkey 04-10-2011 03:10 PM

The weather and Tiger Woods in the Masters.