The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   What's making you happy today? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=14055)

classicman 06-12-2012 10:17 AM

Very cool - never heard that one before.

limey 06-12-2012 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blueflare (Post 814895)
I saw a film where the protaganoist (a writer) decided to really go for something, reject social norms and follow his dreams, though his dreams happened to be cliched and silly.
But the point is, I want to do the same thing. I feel inspired.
Every time I feel happy or inspired about anything I feel a sense of terror that someone will take it away from me, like the bottom could fall out of my world at any second, being comprised as it is of possibilities, and not realities. But the truth is that there is very little about reality that makes me happy anymore. Maybe it's only by following my dreams that I can improve my reality.
I dunno, I'm pretty ill today, I feel drunk but not in a good way, I may just have had the greatest epiphany of all time or these may just be the quixotic ramblings of a disfunctional loser who will never achieve anything.

What's the worst thing that could happen if you did follow your dream?

BigV 06-12-2012 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nirvana (Post 814900)
Late yesterday a FB friend of mine from England posted that her friend had lost a little dog in a huge field in Blackpool. She posted mainly for others in that part of the world to be on the lookout for this Chihuahua. Anyway I suggested that they place an article of worn clothing by the owner out near where the dog disappeared. This morning I woke up to a post that they put a jumper in a box and the little dog found its way there.

A story told in my husband's family at holiday gatherings about their Mom losing her little dog in a farm field during planting. They told her to leave her coat and come back after awhile. She did and the little dog was sitting right on the coat.. I never forgot that story and I was happy to make use of it for someone else even if they were all the way across the world :).

what a great story and a great trick! I'm making a note.

ftr, I'm not a fan of tiny dogs, like chihuahui. But I can see how their very low perspective could make a field of grass seem like an impenetrable forest. poor little guy. Nice work Nirvana!

BigV 06-13-2012 01:13 PM

GOOD NEWS!!! I found my Corona bypass pruner. You may call off the dogs.

monster 06-13-2012 01:24 PM

And I found the scrip order. Now where is the George Washington book?

BigV 06-13-2012 01:45 PM

Valley Forge? Across the Potomac? On the back of a dollar?

monster 06-13-2012 06:29 PM

Dunno but it's going to cost us $6 I saw the damn thing sitting in Thor's cubby and i was sure it went back....ah well could be worse. I'll find the bugger as soon as the check clears....... when we lost some godawful library book, we found it as soon as the period within which they woudl refund the cost expired. i think library books must be related to household appliances.

DanaC 06-14-2012 05:55 AM

I did a presentation on Tuesday morning at the humanities research institution, at Leeds uni. It went really well. Was too spaced out yesterday on antihistamines, antibiotics and antiinflammatories and any other antis you fancy adding to the list, to come posting about it.

Anyways, having arsed around for weeks making very little actual progress on the thing, I finally ended up pulling it out the bag in the final couple of days, and finished the powerpoint presentation to go with it at about 2am Tuesday morning :p

This time I got the PP right! There were no mysteriously missing or moved slides and it gelled pretty well with what I was saying.

20 minute talk and 10 minutes Q&A and only one question that properly floored me lol. But, given the empirical approach, it wasn't such a big deal that i didn't instantly recall the explanation for an unusual figure in an area I wasn't particularly focusing on for the talk. The answer did come to me, but I had a moment of real pause.

You know that feeling, when something you've been slightly dreading and which has basically dominated your thoughts either as something you're working on, or as something you really should be working on suddenly isn't anything you have to think about?

Ahhhhhhh.

BigV 06-14-2012 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monster (Post 815172)
Dunno but it's going to cost us $6 I saw the damn thing sitting in Thor's cubby and i was sure it went back....ah well could be worse. I'll find the bugger as soon as the check clears....... when we lost some godawful library book, we found it as soon as the period within which they woudl refund the cost expired. i think library books must be related to household appliances.

$6? Lucky. SonofV's lost his history book--$76. He was forbidden from purchasing his yearbook because of this outstanding debt. Happily, I've just found the book. Too late for the yearbook though.

monster 06-14-2012 08:12 PM

I know. It was a kiddie book, we got lucky, although if it had been bigger, it might have been harder to lose. I'm just annoyed because I'm sure it was returned, I don't think we're at fault on this one...

BigV 06-14-2012 08:16 PM

More happy news. When I returned the history book to the library *and got my receipt* his record was cleared and now he has a yearbook. Woot!

monster 06-14-2012 10:37 PM

hurrah -is this his graduating year?

BigV 06-14-2012 10:43 PM

Nope. Finishing 11th now, Senior next year. Then college.

monster 06-14-2012 11:07 PM

yearbooks are ridiculous $$. TF high school girl decided not to bother until snr year. And she made the right choice IMO. She made Varsity for Swim/Dive and Polo this year, but said the pages for those teams don't even mention her and the pictures are way out of date. And the descriptions are written by the glee club. She didn't actually say that last bit, but I think it's an accurate interpretation.

Trilby 06-15-2012 06:54 AM

I'm getting excited for my vaca in july.

Makes me happy to think about it.

Also-life in general is good. Very content. Sometimes even very happy. The best is yet to come babeh.