The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   What's making you happy today? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=14055)

Aliantha 10-22-2007 09:12 PM

Our new mattress arrived for our bed today.

Also, the new kitten is settling in to our household nicely.

Also, I made an excellent sling in the cat cage for the cats to sleep in now they need more room.

Clodfobble 10-23-2007 10:22 AM

First cold front of the year!! Woo! I actually got to turn on the heater last night!

Sundae 10-23-2007 12:01 PM

We've also had a run of glorious weather. Cool, still and bright - heart-stoppingly beautiful Autumn days.

DanaC 10-23-2007 12:04 PM

Yeah. It's been lovely in the valley. Wish I'd taken my camera today.

freshnesschronic 10-23-2007 12:18 PM

Hey Cloud, "What's making you happy today?" is currently losing to your "What's making you upset today?" 724 to 749.

Makes me think we need that 70s Coca-cola commercial where they're all singing, holding hands and spreading love....and coke.
I can't find the youtube!

Crimson Ghost 10-23-2007 01:24 PM

Today (10/23/07) is my 14th wedding anniversary.

DanaC 10-23-2007 01:55 PM

Wahaay! Congrats CG!

Clodfobble 10-23-2007 02:17 PM

Cool, CG! Make sure you remember to bring her some flowers or something. ;)

HungLikeJesus 10-23-2007 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by freshnesschronic (Post 398585)
Hey Cloud, "What's making you happy today?" is currently losing to your "What's making you upset today?" 724 to 749.

That's true, and I've been looking at those numbers for a while as a means to judge the mood of the Cellar. But to be a truly valuable indicator, you would need to know the number of original posts in each thread, not the total number of posts.

I think that you would find a higher number of response posts in the "What's making you upset today?" thread, (e.g. Poster 1 says "I've contracted an STD" and Posters 2, 3, and 4 respond to say, "That's too bad," "I had that a few times," and "I'm going to disinfect my keyboard now.")

When someone posts in the "Happy" thread, it just makes most of the others jealous.

ZenGum 10-24-2007 12:29 PM

I saw the "hall of fame" thread for the first time. There are some really good comments in there ... and someone has posted one of my comments there too! Cor gee shucks. :D
Thanks Crimson Ghost! And happy anniversary, too!

Crimson Ghost 10-24-2007 02:09 PM

Thank you, DanaC, Clodfobble, and ZenGum.

We had a nice, romantic night.

BTW, you're welcome, ZenGum.

bluecuracao 10-26-2007 06:21 PM

It's rainy and dreary outside, but I'm sitting inside in snuggly pajamas, sipping a glass of wine, while MB is cooking up a delicious-smelling dinner. Only thing missing is the cat, who ought to be sitting on my desk...where is that li'l fucker, I wonder...

Crimson Ghost 10-26-2007 06:56 PM

MB is cooking and the cat is missing......

Uh oh....

BigV 10-26-2007 07:00 PM

wife

DanaC 10-26-2007 07:04 PM

*smiles* been a tough day. The toughest of the last few weeks. Last minute blocking tactics; region dragged into it in an attempt to subvert the committee's democratic processes; phone calls back and forth and the support of a key member wavering with the possibility of voting against. Ate breakfast, brought it straight back up. Spoke to the Secretary and made to feel like I was breaking the party frivolously, attention shifting away from the intimidation and bullying and onto my actions (always happens, should have seen it coming really). Today I considered leaving the Party. For this comrade to say he may vote against...that rocked me. Upset and angry, I was literally shaking.

But hey...this the happy thread. He came round. They (I don't quite know why) didn't get all the delegates to the meeting. We, however, did. Someone I spoke to, who I was wary of approaching came to the meeting. (sometimes the better result is that they will stay away, because if they attend they could swing either way and blow the vote: usually this will be a semi inactive member.) I thought that they would do what they usually do if there's going to be a firefight...dredge up members who don't really know the background, do a total character assassination on me, or whoever's put their head above the parapet, and get them to vote their way. because these people don't really seek to be that active, they are on my list as 'unaligned or rarely show'.

When you have 15-16 delegates on one side, 10-11 delegates on the other side and a list of 6 people who are either unswayable by either side (they decide on the night and it's pointless trying to persuade them to go one way or the other) or unlikely to come to a meeting, it's the 6 that could make or break it. So...quandary...someone who rarely shows and does his own thing when he does...talk to him, possibly resulting in him turning up, where he otherwise mightn't have with no way of knowing which way he'll vote?

Ahh politics. It is a strange world.

But...2 of the 6 I knew would not be there *crosses off two names*
1 of them I spoke to and he a) hadn't been contacted by them, and b) had forgotten about the meeting, but now I'd reminded him he was going to attend. So...if he's coming, I can't risk him hearing the (much reduced explanation of events as per advice from region) and making a decision against based on the first, least inflammatory email only. So..gave him some background, carefully avoiding bitching about the other guy or divulging the actual content of the emails....he said he'd support. Still wasn't 100% sure he would.

He did. He even spoke to the motion. Patted my arm and gave me a very sweet smile on the way out. Just goes to show...never can tell.

The motion was passed: 14 for, 4 against, 4 abstentions. The man I am complaining about had removed himself from the meeting and tried to suggest it was unprocedural for either of us to be in the room. His friends pushed for that. It wasn't unprocedural. I know, because i know the procedure, as does the Chair. Both can remain, both can be part of the discussion...both can vote. He left, I remained. He gave up his vote, I retained mine.

Everything they threw at us was an attempt to cast doubt on the procedural validity of what was being done. They don't know the procedure. The Chair however can cite the relevant rules and take them to the relevant pages in the rule book. Everything we'd done, had been done to the rules and, after their attempts to draw region in failed, with the permission and guidance of the correct regional official. More minor threats were made about the unfreindliness this would provoke, the effect on the next elections, etc ad nauseum. But those threats sound tame when most voices are in your favour.

I have no idea why his wife (whilst he was sulking downstairs) abstained from the vote...a hollow protest perhaps. He did himself few favours when the Secretary went downstairs to explain why he did have a right to be there and invite him back in...I don't know what the man was shouting at the secretary, but we could all but hear him frothing at the mouth.

The only really unsettling part of the meeting after that, was after the vote....when he was informed it had passed and returned to the room: as he passed by my seat he turned to glare at me, pausing to ...eyeball is the only word for it. The man looked insane. It was deliberate stare, of fury and and intent. For the first and only time during this whole affair, I felt physically threatened...just for a moment, til my brain kicked back in and reminded me we were in a room full of people. I have no doubt in my mind, had someone waved a magic wand and removed all the other people, at that moment he'd have kicked the living shit out of me. And the look was meant, entirely meant, to convey that. Not near, blind rage....cold, mad and intending to harm.

We buried the fucker. 2 meetings down...2 to go. I am happy tonight.

[eta] my apologies for the rather long and involved post. It's difficult to get across the intensity in fewer words.