The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   What's making you happy today? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=14055)

Shawnee123 06-11-2007 10:44 AM

For privacy laws, I'm going to be as vague as possible, but we have a student worker who is not from this country. She's a wonderful young person, and scored very high on the graded points on her scholarship application, and was thus offered a couple of scholarships.

I am the scholarship chair, and it's hard to put into words the amount of work it is. But this young lady just came bouncing into my office and hugged me and thanked me. I told her the truth: I didn't do it, the committee was very impressed with her presentation in her application. It is she who deserved the awards she was offered.

But it felt good. It almost negates the 10 or so students who have already found a bitching point on this fine Monday.

These are the things which make my job wonderful! :)

TheMercenary 06-11-2007 12:16 PM

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/a...ess/article.do

Sundae 06-11-2007 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shawnee123 (Post 353377)
...this young lady just came bouncing into my office and hugged me and thanked me.

Good for her. And don't underestimate how much you deserved it. I know from previous posts that you go out of your way to thank people and put in a good word when you've received good service.

Glad to hear it comes back sometimes.

Shawnee123 06-11-2007 03:04 PM

Thanks SG. You're very kind! :)

LabRat 06-15-2007 03:58 PM

I am typing this post on my BRAND SPANKING NEW laptop.

Paid for by my boss, oh yeah!

bluecuracao 06-15-2007 04:37 PM

I just came back from a long lunch, which included champagne. burp.

HungLikeJesus 06-15-2007 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LabRat (Post 355630)
I am typing this post on my BRAND SPANKING NEW laptop.

Paid for by my boss, oh yeah!

LR -- that's amazing. Your post is so bright and the font is sharp and clear.

bluecuracao 06-15-2007 05:14 PM

And somehow, it also looks so...FREE.

Griff 06-15-2007 05:34 PM

Oddly enough understanding Big V and vice versa. Sometimes you just want someone to get it.

Cloud 06-15-2007 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Griff (Post 355697)
Sometimes you just want someone to get it.

that may explain the institution of marriage.

then again, maybe not.

HungLikeJesus 06-15-2007 05:42 PM

LR -- does your work monitor your internet usage? (Mine says that they do, but they haven't complained yet.)

HungLikeJesus 06-15-2007 06:41 PM

Our new refrigerator was just delivered. It meets my criteria - low energy use; it meets my wife's criteria - stainless steel front, bottom freezer, french doors; and it fit into the space where the old one was (even though it's two inches wider).

But it won't be cold for a few hours, so I'm trying to eat all of the perishable frozen items. I just finished the ice cream and am going back for steak-ums. After that it's either frozen pizza or that huge hunk of buffalo that's been in the freezer for the last seven years.

bluecuracao 06-15-2007 08:29 PM

What brand of fridge, HLJ? And if you don't mind, give us the price range--I'm lookin' around.

I'm not in love with the bottom freezer configuration on fridges nowadays, but if you think it works well, I might reconsider...

HungLikeJesus 06-15-2007 09:04 PM

bluecuracao - it's a Kenmore Elite. We got it at Sears. We also looked at Home Depot and Best Buy. I think it was around $2500 - about 3 times what I wanted to spend. We bought it under time pressure because the store was closing and our old machine didn't seem like it was going to last another week. (The old one actually started acting better the last week, so we didn't really have to rush, after all that.)

I'll have to live with it for a while before I know if I like the bottom freezer. The nice thing is that it puts the refrigerator at the top, so I won't be spending as much time on my knees looking for the FOD under the cheese drawer.

skysidhe 06-15-2007 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HLJ (Post 355731)
Our new refrigerator was just delivered. It meets my criteria - low energy use; it meets my wife's criteria - stainless steel front, bottom freezer, french doors; and it fit into the space where the old one was (even though it's two inches wider).

But it won't be cold for a few hours, so I'm trying to eat all of the perishable frozen items. I just finished the ice cream and am going back for steak-ums. After that it's either frozen pizza or that huge hunk of buffalo that's been in the freezer for the last seven years.

You're eating all the perisables?

* passes you the peptmo-bismuth*