The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   What's making you happy today? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=14055)

Griff 10-24-2017 05:52 AM

Good job CG!

Crimson Ghost 10-24-2017 10:40 AM

Thanks much. I don't know why she puts up with my shit, but she does.

Gravdigr 10-24-2017 11:55 AM

Y'know...If she'd killed ya when she met ya, she'd prolly have been out for a few years by now.

:D:p:

Gravdigr 11-16-2017 02:43 PM

This didn't really make me happy, but, made me feel good that there are still good people in the world.

I don't know any of them, but...:(

Retired Marine Keeps Promise Made In Bunker In Vietnam

orthodoc 11-17-2017 02:01 PM

Sigh. Made me tear up. And I’m at work.
Also makes me glad, Grav. Thanks.

Gravdigr 11-18-2017 03:34 PM

No matter how many times ya hear it...

Marines are different from the rest of 'em.:devil:

monster 12-11-2017 10:46 PM

Annual review. Apparently I'm OK. Maximum merit pay raise. Boss put money where mouth is.

In case you haven't figured, I'm a pretty low self-esteem kind of a person IRL

DanaC 12-12-2017 01:40 PM

Awesome, Mon.

I'm working up my self-review thingie prior to my one-to-one with team leader in Jan. They start hassling you with reminder emails from end of November. - I fucking hate it. I hate, hate, hate it with a vengeance.

xoxoxoBruce 12-12-2017 01:43 PM

But Dana, you can channel that hate into the motivation to get it done... or kill your boss. :D

DanaC 12-12-2017 01:56 PM

Oh! You posted - that reminds me why I came into this thread in the first place ...

What's making me happy today: I came home from work this evening - it was cold and dark, and my front door is currently busted and having to be kept closed with stoppers (the lock smith fitted them to the door frame) when I'm in and padlocked when I am out - so it is not fully closed into the UPVC frame and there's a big draft coming through - Carrot in tow, feeling vaguely harassed by the day (when the weather is like this a day in home insurance becomes a bit of a sprint ) and there, poking through my letter box was a Christmas card from across the pond.

Very funny, as always, and totally put a smile on my face. In fact, I knew by the envelope which card it would be and was already smiling as I opened it.

xoxoxoBruce 12-12-2017 08:07 PM

It's funny, when I went to the post office I mailed a package and 6 cards going overseas. When I got home I glanced at the receipt and it said "Green Succulent" 6. WTF? I figured out it that round green stamp they put on overseas mail. :smack:

BigV 12-12-2017 09:53 PM

This:

Once a Long Shot, Democrat Doug Jones Wins Alabama Senate Race https://nyti.ms/2C8yEQz

Happy Monkey 12-12-2017 09:59 PM

I guess we now know what a Republican has to do to lose in Alabama - by 0.8%.

Clodfobble 12-12-2017 10:19 PM

Kind of. I think it was as much a repudiation of Trump as anything. Roy Moore had been elected to several previous offices, and if he'd been up for Senate during a Dem presidency, I think he'd have won in Alabama just fine despite the scandals.

But whatever -- he didn't win tonight, and that's what matters.

DanaC 12-13-2017 03:22 PM

I'm not a big Christmas person - find it all a bit stressful (time, money etc) up until a couple of days before - once it's pretty much too late to do anything else or buy anything else I accept that it is Christmas and stop stressing out.

However there are one or two Christmas traditions that I like in the run up. I usually, most years, buy at least one or two presents from Firebox, because they are awesome. They have really cool stuff and their customer service is brilliant. I think there's maybe been 1 year in the last decade that i haven't bought at least one gift from them. Probably longer than a decade, actually - could even be 15 years.

There are just so many cool little touches in the Firebox shopping experience - like the fact that they include a little packet of sweeties as a freebie in each delivery. That kind of thing goes a long way :P

The reason I'm talking about it in here though is because I have just placed an order for two gifts for Sophie and Amelia and the order confirmation page made me grin. And that made me happy, because it made me feel Christmassy. Because it's Firebox.

Here it is (anonymized obv):

Quote:

Order confirmation
Order number: (#***********)

Your order (***********) is being processed like a fine slice of plastic cheese and you'll soon receive an email to *************@*****.com confirming all the juicy details.

Now switch off your computer/phone/Firebox-browsing device, go and get some fresh air and tell no one of what you've seen here today.