The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   What's making you happy today? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=14055)

Griff 10-10-2010 12:35 PM

A peaceful mind is good Syc.

Went mountain biking this morning despite being quite sore from working out with a potential 2012 Olympic fencer yesterday. About an hour and a half into the ride I caught the flow, mind and body went all quiet and smooth for a few minutes. It was so very nice, bar-ends close to the trees, leaf covered trail hiding the little obstacles that can get in your head, a very fast swooping track. Then one of my buddies flatted and broke the spell, but I kept the natural buzz.

Cloud 10-12-2010 07:40 PM

my 11 y.o. grandson is a voracious reader and we I bond over books--like Percy Jackson. So, when I found out the first book of Rick Riordan's new series comes out today (Oct. 12), I pre-ordered from Amazon and sent it to him as a surprise (only $10--couldn't resist!)

His mom called me so he could open it while I was on the phone. He was soooo stoked! I told him it came out today and he was the first to read it!

Kinda special.

Aliantha 10-12-2010 09:22 PM

That's just lovely Cloud. :) That brought a smile to my face. It's people like you that remind me why I keep coming here.

monster 10-12-2010 09:24 PM

Chilean miners rescue is underway

Cloud 10-12-2010 09:45 PM

:) @ Ali

casimendocina 10-13-2010 02:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monster (Post 688036)
Chilean miners rescue is underway

Also happy about this.

TheMercenary 10-13-2010 09:08 PM

Last day on the water with the boat. It was just absolutely beautiful. Mid 80's, water was flat. Fished for a few hours and got nothing.

Nudity abounds.

The fish never bit.

The day was a complete success.

classicman 10-13-2010 09:13 PM

Me no like the biting "fish"

DanaC 10-16-2010 04:09 AM

*Grins*

I handed in my Masters thesis yesterday.

I was supposed to hand it in two weeks ago, but I got ill, and then got into a bit of a state with it all, and ended up with my tutor arranging a 2 week extension to my deadline.

Even so, I ended up having to pull an all nighter (actually, in the end it was 38 hours straight working :P) to get it in.

So, yesterday...having been up and working since 7:30 Thursday AM, I went straight through and into Uni...just about managed to get the last couple of bits done (the front page and contents, bibliography etc) and had to run across campus to the print shop to leave it with them for binding.

Then went and taught a class for an hour and a half (having not slept lol) and then....finally....at 3:30 PM I handed the bastard in at the office.

I now have to wait for my Viva (oral exam with a panel of three examiners, one from uni and two externals). At which point they will probably tell me to go away and tidy it up *grins* before final submission.

The word limit on the research MA thesis is 30k. With lots of furious cutting and pasting, and rewriting and reorganising....I managed to bring it in at 28,700 words :P

I then came home and was so hyped I couldn't make myself go to bed. 2:30 am by the time I got in bed: 43 hours after getting out of bed on Thursday.

[eta] Oh yeah. And I am now the proud owner of an i-phone 4 :)

limey 10-16-2010 06:34 AM

Just catching up here: Syc - I hope the peaceful mind lasts; Cloud - you rock; Merc, Griff - stopping to smell the roses, great; Dana - well done, grrl! (I've got a poor man's Iphone 4 (an Ipod 4), fun aren't they! :)!).

xoxoxoBruce 10-16-2010 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanaC (Post 688548)
I then came home and was so hyped I couldn't make myself go to bed. 2:30 am by the time I got in bed: 43 hours after getting out of bed on Thursday.

Kudos, on the accomplishment! I'm happy to see despite all this book learnin' and workin' within the system, indeed, becoming part of the establishment, you've managed to remain true to thyself. :haha:

btw, iPhone5 will be out after the first of the year.

HungLikeJesus 10-16-2010 10:26 AM

Dana - you've probably mentioned this somewhere - what was the subject of your thesis?

DanaC 10-16-2010 10:30 AM

*Smiles*

It was about 18th century British army deserters and their families. Specifically identifying female agency and the role of the domestic in influencing soldiers to desert, and looking at cultural responses to deserters and the relationship between military and domestic spheres.

xoxoxoBruce 10-16-2010 10:36 AM

Oh, why it was women that brought down the Empire. :lol2:

footfootfoot 10-16-2010 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanaC (Post 688579)
*Smiles*

It was about 18th century British army deserters and their families. Specifically identifying female agency and the role of the domestic in influencing soldiers to desert, and looking at cultural responses to deserters and the relationship between military and domestic spheres.

*chuckles*
Ha ha Ok, no. But seriously. What was your thesis about?