The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   What's making you happy today? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=14055)

monster 02-18-2020 07:42 PM

Happy probably isn't the right thread, I now realize, but I typed a shit-ton, so here it stays.... I am happy Thunderboy has no additional points on his License....but.....

I cannot believe how easy it is to get out of points on your driver's licence is here/how fucked up the system is.

First, we went to court at 9am for Thunderboy's "informal hearing" about his 3-point 53 in a 40 speeding ticket from December (the first day driving after he blew a 4-way stop and took out two other cars and the front bumpers off the minivan (for which he got 2 points and a $130 fine because we just dealt online not knowing any better....)).

There were maybe 100 people there, many seemed seasoned offenders and even they were surprised by the volume. I think it might have been first session after the holidays....

anyhoo, one by one, they were called out of the courtroom by the cops who booked them. Thankfully, he was among the first. No hearing, pretty much "ok, so I'mm'a change this speeding ticket to a double-parking which has no points and is $200. OK?" So no points. (when he was pulled over, the cop told him to go to court to avoid points, otherwise we never would have been there (bless his little shiny badge))

Took the little shit to college for his one class. Tried to grocery shop in the interim but couldn't actually find a store despite/because of my new GPS (hate GPS but got one for vacation)

Picked LS up, and on the way home took him to another court two miles down the road from the first to deal with the ticket for the accident while I was on vacation that totaled the car that still wasn't fixed from the last accident). Went to desk, he asked about the fine and points. Nice woman at desk said "$180 and two points ..how is your driving record?" He told her 2-3 points. She said "would you like me to talk to the officer and see if he's ok with changing it to something without points? It will cost $20 more" so ... of course... cop said yes, another $200 but no points. Another citation for double-parking.

So OK this was good for us for WTF?

Also, whilst I'm almost ranting, How much of a joke is it that the "pre-check" status to get through security at the airport more easily -previously awarded to less-likely-to-be-a-terrorist profile people (Old white people, children, business people who have taken that plane every day for the last 10 years...) is now for sale. And only for sale.

and yes. He paid.. Pretty much all of the $ he earned over the summer has been spent on fines/cost related to hit shitty driving*. Dear Michigan, I am so sorry. But my needs are greater than yours and I don't let him drive on roads with speeds likely to cause injuries. If that helps :/

*he also bought a computer. twice, because the idiot left it in the car which he left unlocked so it was stolen

monster 02-18-2020 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monster (Post 1046702)
I saw pologirl play polo yesterday. She was awesome, of course.

I love watching her play. And I (guiltily) love watching others watch her play

After 8 years, she's suddenly in a completely new place where no-one knows her (she went to college in the town where she went to high school, so many of the players on the opposing teams knew her)

In the game against the main oppo on Sunday -hosts University of Florida, I particularly enjoyed the moment when she received a pass and the oppo coach screamed in panic "She's a SHOOTER!!!!!!". Too late, though :D

(good job refs are not armed... :o)

monster 02-18-2020 07:55 PM

(many players will receive the ball in the goal but won't shoot or are shit so can be ignored. In these instances (at high school level), asshole coaches yell "not a shooter" to tell their team to get ready for the counter-attack. :/ I suspect this is what made her the player she is ... in her first game as a freshman on varsity at high school, the oppo coach yelled that ..and she scored. He yelled "she's a shooter" the next time, but didn't need to say anything after that :D)

xoxoxoBruce 02-18-2020 11:44 PM

With PA state cops I had two offer higher fine but no points on the spot, and 1 for two going to court. 1 For 1 with local cops in another town. I did learn when you send a written request to the local count requesting a hearing, use the back of a register receipt if necessary, but do not use fancy stationary from Smithsonian with an antique gun on it. :facepalm:

Griff 02-19-2020 06:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monster (Post 1046855)
After 8 years, she's suddenly in a completely new place where no-one knows her (she went to college in the town where she went to high school, so many of the players on the opposing teams knew her)

This has to be awesome for her.

monster 02-19-2020 10:43 AM

I think it's awesome and frustration in equal parts because yes, she surprises them with ability, but also they don't know her well enough to trust her calls on plays etc. It was fun though :)

Diaphone Jim 03-07-2020 03:31 PM

I like finding new words.
This morning I came across "jobsworth."
I won't give a definition yet, just ask if I should have known it before.
It is applied to a kind of person we all hate to encounter.

Define it for us if you can do so off the top of your head.

Carruthers 03-07-2020 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Diaphone Jim (Post 1048059)
I like finding new words.
This morning I came across "jobsworth."
I won't give a definition yet, just ask if I should have known it before.
It is applied to a kind of person we all hate to encounter.

Define it for us if you can do so off the top of your head.

It's a term which, I'm 99% sure, originated in the UK and, as such, gives me something of an advantage in defining.

I'll keep my own counsel and look forward to reading responses.

monster 03-07-2020 04:02 PM

I also know what it means and also believe it to be British because people look at me weirdly if I use it here and I have to explain. But it is one I like.

sexobon 03-07-2020 04:48 PM

I'll take their word that it's British; but, won't delve into it 'cause it contains the word "job" and sounds too much like work.

lumberjim 03-07-2020 04:56 PM

I work with one

monster 03-07-2020 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sexobon (Post 1048062)
I'll take their word that it's British; but, won't delve into it 'cause it contains the word "job" and sounds too much like work.

although it actually relates to not working in a way.

A Jobsworth is someone who uses the "rules" of their employer as an excuse for not helping someone. "I'd love to do that for you, but it's more than my job's worth, they'd fire me immediately...."

Carruthers 03-08-2020 05:30 AM

I was surprised to find that the ever reliable Wikipedia has a page on the subject:

Quote:

A jobsworth is a person who uses their job description in a deliberately uncooperative way, or who seemingly delights in acting in an obstructive or unhelpful manner.
The term can also be applied to those who uphold petty rules even at the expense of humanity or common sense.
"Jobsworth" is a British colloquial word derived from the phrase "I can't do that, it's more than my job's worth", meaning taking the initiative and performing an action that is beyond what the person feels is in their job description.
The Oxford English Dictionary defines it as "A person in authority (esp. a minor official) who insists on adhering to rules and regulations or bureaucratic procedures even at the expense of common sense."
Jonathon Green similarly defines "jobsworth" as "a minor factotum whose only status comes from enforcing otherwise petty regulations".
I do have a degree of sympathy for those people in a job which is constrained by burdensome bureaucracy imposed by law and/or employer.

They have responsibility without power and many employers would be happy to show them the door for even the most minor breach of the rules, sometimes known as using common sense.

Link

Gravdigr 03-08-2020 03:04 PM

Quote:

Not my job.

Diaphone Jim 03-08-2020 07:48 PM

I read a post yesterday by a fan going to a SF Giants spring training game.
Trying to avoid the exorbitant cost of snacks and drinks that runs rampant currently, he brought a $10 bag of almonds with him.
The ticket taker told him that he could not bring them in and had to pour them out before entering.
I guess he might have said: "It would be worth my job for me to let you put them out of sight."

It's useful term, one that brings to mind DMV's.