The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   What's making you happy today? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=14055)

Pete Zicato 03-29-2013 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Griff (Post 858776)
Right now archeology is the draw. I keep turning her away from teaching but she like the idea of being a middle school teacher. She was interested in biology when she was younger but had one bad science teacher who turned her off. If she goes to a school that doesn't expect a declared major for a couple years I could see her reattach to science.

Teaching is hard to break into right now in a lot of locations. Many teachers that were going to retire didn't due to the Wall Street treachery.

Something I did with my girls - I showed them a list of what various professions paid and talked about how they could expect to live making those salaries. It was something they previously had not given a lot of thought to.

Griff 03-29-2013 05:46 PM

Good idea.

infinite monkey 03-29-2013 06:32 PM

There are some great sites for all ages that look at careers, what one actually does, costs of the education, prospected earnings, and growth rate.I am on my phone but I will try to get you some good examples when I'm on a comp.

Undertoad 03-29-2013 06:37 PM

lies

infinite monkey 03-29-2013 06:58 PM

Lies make you happy? Or is someone lying? :unsure:

Griff 03-29-2013 07:50 PM

I'm guessing he's saying career paths are more of a crap shoot than some folks let on. I still want to see those sites though. :)

footfootfoot 03-29-2013 08:29 PM

Here's one:
http://www.bls.gov/ooh/

DanaC 04-02-2013 03:34 PM

Carrotchops is making me happy. We just had a really nice cuddle.

orthodoc 04-02-2013 04:27 PM

Cuddling with BeeBee before getting down to work for the evening. :)

xoxoxoBruce 04-02-2013 04:28 PM

Got him worried because you've been seeing another dog. :haha:

DanaC 04-03-2013 06:47 AM

ha! Maybe so :P

Today I am happy, again because of Carrotchops. We've just come back from his hydrotherapy session. he did 26 minutes with the treadmill on an uphill setting (yey). His muscle development is looking good and his foot placement much improved.

I've to take him back in three or four weeks for an assessment, and hopefully Rhona will sign him off from treatment, and he'll just be doing his exercises at home with me.

In the meantime, he's been given permission to have some off-lead free running. Got to give him a full ten minutes warmup walk before letting him run, and not with other dogs as yet, but at least he can have a bit of freedom again :) To start will be doing this every other day, and only for a short spell, but hey - I can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel.

We're also well on the way to weaning him back off his pain meds. He started out on 25 ml a day, then once his groinstrain injury was all sorted we started dropping it down. Went down to 15 ml for a couple of weeks, and then 10 ml for a couple of weeks. Day after tomorrow I'll drop it down to 7 ml for a couple of weeks and if he's ok at that level we can then drop it entirely :)

xoxoxoBruce 04-03-2013 07:14 AM

Great news. Has the snow melted, or is he walking/running in it?

Chocolatl 04-03-2013 10:24 AM

Great news for Carrot!

I am happy today because at the doctor's office today I weighed in at 125 lbs -- the likes of which have not been seen since about 2005. I weighed 145 when I got pregnant and 160 when I gave birth. Guess there are some pros to not being able to stuff my face with ice cream and cheese...

Jaydaan 04-03-2013 11:17 AM

Yay on the weight Chocolatl!
Good job Carrot!!

Going to see an ocupational therapist for physio and massage on my hip today, then spending the afternoon with my 6 day old granddaughter!

footfootfoot 04-03-2013 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chocolatl (Post 859323)
Great news for Carrot!

I am happy today because at the doctor's office today I weighed in at 125 lbs -- the likes of which have not been seen since about 2005. I weighed 145 when I got pregnant and 160 when I gave birth. Guess there are some pros to not being able to stuff my face with ice cream and cheese...

Plus, nursing really pulls off the weight.