The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   What's making you happy today? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=14055)

xoxoxoBruce 05-01-2013 07:47 AM

News Flash!

SKINNY DIPPING GRANDFATHER SHOCKS NEIGHBORS :lol2:

Sundae 05-01-2013 12:44 PM

Chris, that's wonderful.
We spent so much time with my Mother's parents when I was younger (my Dad's were dead by then, so not so much time.) Whole weeks, and summers.

I many ways I envy families growing up in their birth town, which is also the birth town of their parents', knowing their cousins, going to the same schools and all that.
But despite all her efforts, Mum rarely got to see her grandchildren and unsupervised days with them were only on the occasion that they were ill. She didn't have a pool.

She sees her great-grandsons every week, but only for 1-2 hours.
I can't see her ever being left in charge of them.
It's nothing she's done, just the way that family runs.

morethanpretty 05-01-2013 04:14 PM

I'm getting about $83 from my bank's rewards program. Nothing like unexpected money.

Lola Bunny 05-01-2013 06:28 PM

@MTP: for sure!

orthodoc 05-01-2013 06:35 PM

A very strange day - in my entire academic life I haven't had one to beat it ...

I spent the weekend of my 3rd son's grad finishing a term project (for a horrible course) and a term paper (for a great course) between 2 and 6 am each night. Totally stressed over both, as they were worth a lot. Got them submitted.

Today I got results back ... 100% on the project for the awful course, which means I have a shot at an A overall if I spank the final ... and a shot at a 4.0 GPA if other finals go well. And my health policy term paper came back with a grade of 100% - the prof said he's never given a perfect score before.

And ... I was offered a very competitive rotation of 2 months in DC this fall at OSHA headquarters, right beside the Capitol. The email came in at 5:30, a little before I left the office.

I'm so excited, really deliriously happy, because at the start of this semester I had chemo brain so bad that I couldn't figure out my spring schedule. I wrote everything on a big dry-erase wall calendar and I couldn't comprehend it, and I just cried. But my brain slowly reconnected the neuro pathways over the past several weeks. I could almost feel it happening. Today was confirmation that chemo didn't permanently damage my brain.

I am profoundly thankful and very, very happy. Also very excited to be spending the early fall in DC! Two of my sons will be there - I plan to really get to know our nation's capital!

orthodoc 05-01-2013 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by morethanpretty (Post 863534)
I'm getting about $83 from my bank's rewards program. Nothing like unexpected money.

Nice! :)

Lamplighter 05-01-2013 06:40 PM

WOW ! I'm impressed.

Congratulations (100%) again and (100%) again and (OSHA) again.
DC OSHA doesn't know how good they're going to have it !

orthodoc 05-01-2013 06:48 PM

Thank you! I can't quite believe it's all true.

So excited about OSHA. :)

infinite monkey 05-01-2013 06:57 PM

awesome news. :thumb:

Aliantha 05-01-2013 07:11 PM

Good stuff ortho. :). We all knew you'd be fine. ;)

footfootfoot 05-01-2013 07:38 PM

Not bad for a Canadian. ;)
Seriously, I wish I were at a proper keyboard. Big hugs to you and your resilient brain cells.

Clodfobble 05-01-2013 07:47 PM

That's wonderful, ortho! (Hey, remember when we all said something better than that crappy job that backed out on you would come along? It feels sooo good to tell you we told you so. :))

Ocean's Edge 05-01-2013 08:35 PM

that's amazing news ortho

xoxoxoBruce 05-01-2013 08:45 PM

Soooo, you're really a bot, eh.:eyebrow:

Lola Bunny 05-01-2013 08:57 PM

A big congrats on everything, Ortho!