The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Quality Images and Videos (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Rims (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=24228)

xoxoxoBruce 11-02-2017 11:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Cool wheels, look retro but really high tech...

Glinda 11-04-2017 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce (Post 998058)
Tarheel, the minivan replaced the wagon because the wagon had the suburban family with kids label, plus it was much more efficient and easier to tote kids and their gear. But then the minivan got the Soccer Mom tag which was the kiss of death.
They couldn't go back to wagons so they sold them on the SUVs, which is roomy but a pain in the ass for hauling the tribe. However it hadn't come to represent the MILF with spawn yet.
Now, selling wagons and minivans is an uphill struggle because you are what you drive. Image is everything.

Meh. Through the years, I've owned three station wagons and loved every one of them. Plenty of room for peeps and for hauling shit. Plus, I don't give a foetid rat's patootie what anyone thinks. :D

Of course, I also have a 4WD Silverado for when the load is too big for the Volvo, and for when the roads get treacherous out here. :cool:

xoxoxoBruce 11-04-2017 11:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
You obviously don't represent the buying public demographic. Image sells cars. What won at the track last weekend, what a movie stars and "celebrities" are driving, what's in this year. How else would you explain Mercedes and BMW sales numbers of overpriced cars? Why do you think Porsche is building SUVs instead of wagons?

Here's the motor of that Javelin.

xoxoxoBruce 11-04-2017 11:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
A beautiful '55 Chevy throws people off with '56 side trim.
A buddy was building a '56 Chevy 2-dr wagon so I bought him one of those smooth one piece front bumpers for his birthday.
He drilled it and mounted bumper guards. :smack:

Glinda 11-05-2017 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce (Post 998185)
You obviously don't represent the buying public demographic. Image sells cars.

"Image"?

You mean everybody doesn't want to be a gray-haired crazy lady that raises chickens in the woods and drives an 18-year-old Volvo station wagon?

WTF?

:D

Glinda 11-05-2017 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce (Post 998185)
How else would you explain Mercedes and BMW sales numbers of overpriced cars? Why do you think Porsche is building SUVs instead of wagons?

Because the buying public is stupid as shit? Seriously, every time I see someone driving a Cadillac Escalade, I have to wonder if he was dropped on his head when he was an infant.

38 Cadillac Escalade Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Remember this brilliant Lincoln truck?

Biggest Automotive Missteps: Lincoln Blackwood

Ha ha! Of course you don't, because it was a piece of crap!

IMO, if "image" is the only basis for somebody spending waaaay too much money for something, they will surely be disappointed.

If I want a sports car, I'll buy from a company that has a long history of making quality sports cars. If I want a luxury sedan, I'll buy from a company that has a long history of making quality luxury sedans. I would NEVER buy an SUV or truck from a sports car or luxury sedan maker. It's just common sense, right?

That said, this country seems to be overrun with people who haven't one iota of common sense, so, I'll give you that. But I will continue to buck "trendy" and stick with what actually works, image be damned!

;)

Gravdigr 11-05-2017 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glinda (Post 998220)
Because the buying public is stupid as shit?

:lol2:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glinda (Post 998220)
But I will continue to buck "trendy" and stick with what actually works, image be damned!

Why, you little rebel, you.:jig:

glatt 11-05-2017 12:47 PM

Why are station wagons gone?

My understanding is it was the fleet fuel economy requirements that did not apply to trucks. SUVs and minivans are classified as trucks and exempt, but station wagons are cars are non-exempt. So they had to be dropped to meet fleet fuel economy requirements.

Gravdigr 11-05-2017 12:50 PM

One of my favorite cars was an 81 Chevy Malibu wagon.

Also had an 83 Pontiac Bonneville (I think) wagon. I gave $200 for this one. The trans was supposedly shot on this car. I dropped the scattershield and all the torque convertor bolts fell out of it. Put 'em back in and it drove like it was new.:jig:

xoxoxoBruce 11-05-2017 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glinda (Post 998211)
"Image"?
You mean everybody doesn't want to be a gray-haired crazy lady that raises chickens in the woods and drives an 18-year-old Volvo station wagon?
WTF? :D

No, as a matter of fact they don't, everybody wants other people to see them as they wished to be seen and try to present, or don't care at all. Cars are like clothes, they're are a projection of you to others. Dress for the job you want, extends to your vehicle. Even counter culture segments like hipsters, goths, grunges, bikers, etc, shown their individuality by dressing alike. :haha:

But the keep-up-with-the-Jones, and the must-impress-the-peers crowd is a huge target market. The car markers love them because they buy more expensive vehicles, are easier to upsell, and buy more often. The dealers love them for that and because they trade in vehicles that can often be sold at a higher profit than the new cars bring.

Personally I dress to be comfortable, (I told Amanda, Jim's betrothed, I couldn't come to their wedding. When she asked why not, I told her I was wearing my Sunday best, which was jeans and a pocket Tee), and I drive what blows my skirt up. I know there are a shitload of people(probably you) who feel the same way.

xoxoxoBruce 11-05-2017 07:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Pssst...wanna buy a used car... cheap.

Glinda 11-05-2017 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce (Post 998242)
Personally I dress to be comfortable, (I told Amanda, Jim's betrothed, I couldn't come to their wedding. When she asked why not, I told her I was wearing my Sunday best, which was jeans and a pocket Tee), and I drive what blows my skirt up. I know there are a shitload of people(probably you) who feel the same way.

Heh. :)

I did a writing job years ago, for a guy who owned a small advertising agency in Marina del Rey, CA. The agency specialized in marketing cowboy/horse stuff. He'd hired me to ghostwrite a book for him (The Cowboy Hat Book), and offered me desk space in his agency to work on the book.

He was always dressed to the nines in his fancy cowboy duds, but his staff wore a really . . . interesting collection of attire to the office. Sweats, shorts and T's, pajama pants, flip-flops. When I asked him about it, he told me that one of the things he'd learned as an employer was that "comfort is king." He wanted his employees to feel comfortable and at home when at work; he felt it improved staff morale, productivity, communication, and loyalty.

I've carried that with me ever since. If you can't handle me wearing my comfy second-hand Goodwill clothes to the office, then I'm not the employee for you. Because, literally, I do NOT dress up for anybody or anything. I present as neat, clean, non-disheveled, (altho not particularly fashionable), and I'm good with that. Because I'm COMFY.

I spent decades working as the exec admin asst for a couple of different big-wig CEO types in LA and San Francisco. Expensive, "fashionable" suits, painful high heels, nylons, fuckin' girdles, blah blah blah, were required.

But that cowboy dude set me on the right path. Comfort is king, baby.

Oh yeah. :thumb:

xoxoxoBruce 11-05-2017 11:06 PM

When my first wife started working for an insurance company in Boston('64), women were required to wear stockings and heels, couldn't smoke in the building(even though they only rented two floors), and were only 2 years removed from having to wear hats. :eek:

Griff 11-06-2017 06:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glatt (Post 998235)
Why are station wagons gone?

I think I just bought one? Subaru Forester.

xoxoxoBruce 11-06-2017 10:19 AM

Nope, that's a "compact SUV". :haha: