The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   What's making you happy today? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=14055)

Gravdigr 12-17-2015 01:57 PM

^^What she said.^^ All of it.

limey 12-17-2015 04:19 PM

With knobs on :)

infinite monkey 12-24-2015 06:24 PM

I am waiting for my friends, the guy part a sober driver, to pick me up for festivities. I go out my front door and to what do my wondering eyes appear? A FedEx package! Inside is the promised book that I can't wait to begin reading. And it was wrapped in star paper with my name in silver!

Friends make lonely people happy. Thanks jim. :)

Merry Christmas to you all, with love.

lumberjim 12-24-2015 06:32 PM

Merry Christmas, shaw!

infinite monkey 12-24-2015 09:43 PM

You're so good. Merry Christmas to you and yours.

classicman 12-26-2015 11:08 AM

I am so happy to read this... Shaw err ... IM.
Merry Christmas.

xoxoxoBruce 12-27-2015 04:17 PM

Ah, there's good news tonight.
Westerleigh Crematorium & Cemetery, in the South Gloucestershire countryside, is the first in Britain to have a fully licensed bar. A long overdue reconciliation with, and recognition of, the Irish living... and dying, in Britain. At last the stiff deceased can be given a proper send off. :beer:

glatt 12-30-2015 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glatt (Post 933877)
I got word from my sister yesterday. She's only in contact with my parents in order to keep messages to a minimum. You see, she's deep in the mountain wildness of the Northwest Territories and her only communication is an InTouch satellite texting device that costs a buck per text and eats batteries like crazy. So she's trying to limit incoming messages to only emergencies.

But she sent out a handful of updates. She and her two climbing partners are attempting a mountain climb that has never been done before. In fact there are no clear photos of the mountain face they are climbing. Only grainy Google Earth pictures.

They got dropped off by helicopter three weeks ago and set up camp next to a lake at 61.872662, -127.69862. They have been attempting to climb the Western face of Mt. Nirvana since then. It's a cliff face, so it's very technical climbing.

In a week or so, the helicopter will come back for them and fly them over to the eastern side of Mt. Nirvana, and they will attempt the climb from that side. That side has been climbed before, so they know it's possible, and there are tons of pictures of it.

Then after two weeks of climbing on that side of the mountain, the helicopter is coming back for them and taking them about 20 miles to the north, to Lotus Flower Tower. This is a very famous location in the climbing world, and they are going to climb this:
Attachment 52586

But I'm happy today because I hadn't heard from her in a month, and it's good to know she's ok.

It's been 6 months, but they finally published a video of their climbing trip. It's 22 minutes long, but I think it's worth it.
Small:

Big:

glatt 12-30-2015 10:09 AM

If you can't be bothered to watch all 22 minutes, check out the helicopter flight at 12:32. The helicopter came to pick them up from Mt. Nirvana and take them to Lotus Flower Tower, but they had a little trouble finding Lotus Flower Tower and then a place to land.

And 18:35, time lapse of packing up camp in the fog is pretty cool.

fargon 12-30-2015 10:29 AM

Very Good.

footfootfoot 12-30-2015 12:18 PM

I'm off to a job interview in a few minutes. probably minimum wage and PT w/ no bennys but even dwarves started small.

More to follow, perhaps.

Gravdigr 12-30-2015 02:40 PM

Good luck, Foot!

I'll check out the mountain conquering sister later tonight.

Clodfobble 12-30-2015 06:21 PM

Somehow I must have missed the original post about your sister, glatt. That's a cool accomplishment.

fargon 12-30-2015 08:11 PM

How did your interview go foot?

footfootfoot 12-31-2015 10:37 AM

I think it went well, they seemed receptive to me and it felt like a good fit to me, at any rate. They are going to talk with another person and then let me know next week. I'd be the oldest person by far, maybe about the same age as the owner.

If I do get the job it's going to complicate life for a while until I get custody changes sorted out, and it's only a little better than minimum wage. I'd need to work three weeks to make my mortgage payment, and while it would be good to be able to keep the house, I clearly need to come up with additional income b/c I couldn't afford to live on my earnings from that job alone.

They did say that if I worked out and was valuable I'd get raises. The benefits are pretty good, though.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed.