The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   What's making you happy today? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=14055)

Clodfobble 07-21-2016 05:25 PM

An after-school group leader at my kids' school. It's not what you know...

BigV 07-21-2016 09:24 PM

W
T
G
!!!

classicman 07-23-2016 09:55 AM

Great!

Gravdigr 07-23-2016 12:41 PM

What's making you happy today?

So far, I've found five (5) little green flakes in my Ramen noodles.

It's like I'm rich, or something.

:jig:

monster 07-23-2016 07:51 PM

did you sneeze?

Carruthers 07-24-2016 01:12 PM

I’m not sure that ‘happy’ is quite the word, but I’ll press on, all the same.

We’re in the middle of a four year program to commemorate the 1914-18 War.
On the 1st of this month, the first day of the Battle of the Somme was marked by ceremonies in the UK and France.
July 1st 1916 was the bleakest day in the history of the British Army. Nineteen thousand soldiers died that day, most within the first thirty minutes after 0730 when they went ‘over the top’.

My Grandfather (Dad’s dad) served in WW1 and was wounded while in France as far as we were aware. I’ve never known anything about the circumstances surrounding the event and Dad said that he’d never spoken much about his experiences.
Having followed the Somme commemoration it prompted me to do some more research about grandad. Records of WW1 wounded were released into the public domain in 2013 but I was unaware of this.
A quick search turned up www.forces-war-records.co.uk so I paid up for a month’s subscription. It didn’t take too long to find Grandad’s hospital admission record for August 1917 which recorded:

Ailment: Gunshot wound V1, bullet.

(V1 - Gunshot wound of the abdomen. Simple flesh wound or contusion in the Army Wound Classification System).

The only treatment recorded is the administration of 500 units of anti-tetanus serum on 20/08/1917.

In his later years I visited Grandad in hospital and his pyjama jacket was undone revealing a savage looking scar on his abdomen. I have difficulty in squaring that sight with the Army category of ‘Simple flesh wound’.
Unfortunately, nowhere in that record does it mention where he was when wounded or the location of the field hospital. However he was a member of 91st Field Company Royal Engineers and a timeline of the Company’s service indicates that he was in Belgium near Ypres when wounded. His unit went to France in July 1915 and served there, including several battles in the Somme offensive, until mid 1917 before moving north to Flanders.
Repatriation soon followed and a transfer to the Royal Flying Corps was effected in the closing months of the war.

I’m pleased (perhaps happy) that I have been unable to unearth these details as I was able to fill in the missing spaces for Dad, who is now ninety-one.

Gravdigr 07-24-2016 02:49 PM

That's very cool, Carruthers.

I tried to research Grandpadigr's military records a good while back (he died in '77). Unfortunately, a fire in the early 70s destroyed the entire floor of the gov't records repository where his Naval records were stored.

All his brother could tell us was that Grandpadigr was involved in the Battle for Saipan (as a gunner, we don't even know what kind of ship he was on) and at some point he received a Purple Heart.

Wish we knew more. A lot of those guys back then were forced to do things they didn't think they were even capable of, and just couldn't/wouldn't talk about it. And, now they 're leaving this world at an alarming rate, and we'll never know what they did when they were saving the world.

Gravdigr 07-24-2016 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monster (Post 965195)
did you sneeze?

Hah! No, these flakes were all brand new, no used flakes in m'Ramen...:D

sexobon 07-24-2016 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carruthers (Post 965217)
... a savage looking scar on his abdomen. I have difficulty in squaring that sight with the Army category of ‘Simple flesh wound’.

I believe the use of the term "Simple" in this context refers to the wound being entirely open (i.e. grazing wound), regardless of its size, rather than having an entrance; or, entrance and exit with cavitation.

Wounds that create cavities are much more difficult to prevent infection from setting in. Complications of infection give rise to secondary injury; so, those flesh wounds are labeled "Complex."

A complex flesh wound may not look like much, just a small entrance wound, until the its cavity is explored while a simple flesh wound with a large surface area may look gruesome.

Hope that helps.

Carruthers 07-24-2016 03:59 PM

@sexobon

Thanks for that clarification, I'm grateful to you.
It would never have occurred to me that there was a medical (surgical?) definition of the term!

Sundae 07-31-2016 03:03 AM

Saw Mr Carr yesterday. Always a happy event.

Do not let the self-effacing persona he presents fool you. The man is all man and can undertake anything from riding horses (I picture him bare-backed and stripped to the waist) to charming mothers, to looking after pets, to surviving a zombie apocalypse.

I usually swoon over the larger men. Someone to bounce on. But there is much to be said about sinewy strength, honed from years of battling buddleia. And after all, the organ that matters can't be shown in polite society.

The brain. The brain, you mucky lot...

So yes. Happier today for seeing Carruthers yesterday. And talking to DanaC. And knowing I have a ticket to Castle Limey in a few weeks. I'm all Cellared-up.

Carruthers 07-31-2016 03:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sundae (Post 965600)
Saw Mr Carr yesterday. Always a happy event.

Do not let the self-effacing persona he presents fool you. The man is all man and can undertake anything from riding horses (I picture him bare-backed and stripped to the waist) to charming mothers, to looking after pets, to surviving a zombie apocalypse.

I usually swoon over the larger men. Someone to bounce on. But there is much to be said about sinewy strength, honed from years of battling buddleia. And after all, the organ that matters can't be shown in polite society.

The brain. The brain, you mucky lot...

So yes. Happier today for seeing Carruthers yesterday. And talking to DanaC. And knowing I have a ticket to Castle Limey in a few weeks. I'm all Cellared-up.

The semblance of a blush has risen, unbidden, to my manly cheek.:blush:

Clodfobble 07-31-2016 08:36 AM

Y'all are adorable.

Gravdigr 07-31-2016 12:51 PM

A Sundae Sunday post!!!

monster 08-04-2016 04:05 PM

new outrageously-expensive-for-me earrings. :D