The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Parenting (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   My Kid is a Damn Nutter (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=18924)

Undertoad 04-01-2016 10:38 AM

i'm gonna listen to the third one when you're all broken in and stuff :D

Clodfobble 04-05-2016 11:34 AM

Round 2: I talked to Wisconsin NPR this morning. I still talked too fast, but I kept my answers shorter, at least.

xoxoxoBruce 04-05-2016 02:02 PM

Listening to that program you sounded a little more relaxed, more concise. You can probably predict what they'll ask to some extent, but you never know if the interviewer has an axe to grind or will hit you with off the wall questions, like have to stopped beating your children. You did very well.

While I was listening I was thinking, there's a million parents out there who have tales from experience with coping and attempts to "heal" their kids. But gathering and collating that information would be an impossible task. Facing this challenge pre-internet must have been extremely depressing.

glatt 04-05-2016 02:15 PM

listening to it off an on at work in between stuff. You sound good. Interesting stuff.

xoxoxoBruce 04-15-2016 08:43 AM

I've seen food fads, what to eat/avoid, to live longer/lose weight/bigger boners, since forever. Drink wine, don't drink wine, drink coffee, don't drink coffee, eat shit and die. Vegans/vegetarians? I don't care, what ever blows your skirt up, just don't tell me what to eat. PETA, go fuck yourself.

I knew a woman who would be in serious trouble eating food cooked in a pan that had ever had onions cooked in it, but that was very rare... then food allergies burst on the scene. I thought not letting a kid take a peanut butter sandwich to school, or have cookies in his lunch was pretty stupid.

Sugar, saccharin, trans-fat, then gluten became the devil, but when I saw shampoo advertised as gluten free I figured Mad Men were using the current buzz word to get attention. There again, whatever you want, if avoiding or bingeing on something makes you feel better, even if it's psychological, good for you, it doesn't concern me. If it's secretly killing me, it's got to get in a very long line.

I'm just starting to get my head around how seriously these things affect some people, like the Fobblettes. How gluten in shampoo can be a real threat to someone, and what an incredible job Clodfobble has done in finding/drawing the map to Holland. :smack:

Clodfobble 04-15-2016 08:47 AM

The thing that makes it tough is it truly didn't used to affect hardly anyone. It's the "we've been eating X for hundreds of years" argument. But both the "stuff" and our bodies today are very different. Bread today doesn't equal bread 100 years ago, and my stomach today doesn't equal my great-grandmother's stomach. It's all fucked up.

DanaC 04-15-2016 09:11 AM

I worked with a girl a few years ago who had to carry an epi pen with her at all times. We also had one at work in the supervisor's drawer just in case. There were a few things she couldn't have, and one of those things was a kind of chilli flavouring used in crisps. One time she went into full on anaphylactic shock after she kissed her boyfriend when he had eaten spicy crisps earlier that day.

@Clod: forgot to come back in here and let you know how awesome that podcast interview was. You sound so confident and at ease, passionate and knowledgable. It was a really engaging interview.

monster 04-15-2016 04:38 PM

How were the first week's Sales, Fob?

Clodfobble 04-16-2016 06:42 AM

I don't get complete numbers, but physical books from US Amazon are at about 75 right now. E-books, brick-and-mortar, and UK sales (I did one radio interview in the UK so far,) I have no idea. And I have no idea if 75 is good for week 1 for an unknown author or not. Mostly I try not to bring up the graph a dozen times a day. :)

DanaC 04-16-2016 07:58 AM

What radio interview for UK?

Clodfobble 04-16-2016 08:48 PM

Talk Radio Europe, "the largest English-speaking station in Spain." It was 15 min and lightweight--she pulled the quote on the back cover and said "one of my favorite things you said was..." Definitely hadn't read it.

xoxoxoBruce 04-16-2016 11:13 PM

:(

Clodfobble 04-17-2016 06:40 PM

It's okay, she had me on at least. She interviews like four authors every day, she couldn't possibly read them all.

glatt 04-22-2016 01:10 PM

You mention the 1 in 45 statistic in one of those interviews.
I saw it in print today for the first time, so mainstream media is picking it up too. Washington Post, A Section.

xoxoxoBruce 04-22-2016 05:00 PM

Interesting, that says 1 in 45, ages 3 to 17, have it, not 1 in 45 of the children turning 3, have/will have it.
I suppose if it turns out to be genetic based, it can be waiting to be triggered or not yet diagnosed, which seems to be a big problem because of parents in denial and doctors in the dark.

OK, I'm talking out my ass, but I'd never seen the numbers expressed that way.

Clodfobble 04-22-2016 08:45 PM

Yeah, the thing about the 1 in 45 number is the very DAY after I did that interview, the CDC announced that while this is one of their typical benchmark studies for their "official" numbers, they are waiting until the other benchmark studies come out with their latest numbers later this year, before deciding on a new average. So officially it's still 1 in 68 according to the CDC, but that will change in the late fall, I imagine.

lumberjim 04-22-2016 11:04 PM

Do they have the same stats for non immunized kids?

Clodfobble 04-24-2016 03:10 AM

Congress ordered the CDC to gather those stats in the late nineties, if I have my dates right. The CDC ignored them, claiming that by definition any study that required non-immunized kids, even volunteers, was unethical.

Jenny McCarthy's nonprofit did the study, 100,000 random surveys by phone, found the rate was much lower in non-immunized and much higher in partially-immunized (presumably because in cases where there's an obvious regression parents stop,) but no one listens to her anymore.

Clodfobble 04-24-2016 03:12 AM

It should be noted, however, that the stats for non-immunized kids are not zero.

xoxoxoBruce 04-24-2016 03:18 AM

What age is the oldest you've heard of for symptoms to appear? Or does that get twisted by parents in denial until somebody in the school system runs up a flag?

Clodfobble 04-24-2016 03:44 AM

I've heard of major developmental regressions as late as three-and-a-half. Diagnoses any later than that are usually either "there's nothing wrong with a nonverbal 5 year old" denial, or "he's always been a little different, but we didn't know what it was" at like 12 or 13 or even adulthood for high-functioning kids. I've seen/heard of sudden extreme onset of PANDAS at a variety of ages though, as late as maybe 15.

DanaC 04-26-2016 04:03 AM

Saw this in the Guardian and thought it might be of interest:

Quote:

Asda is introducing a “quiet hour” at a Manchester store to help autistic and disabled shoppers.

The Asda Living store in Cheetham Hill is pioneering a disability-friendly hour for people who feel intimidated or stressed by noise and disturbance.

The store will open an hour early without electronic distractions such as escalators, music and display TVs, and the public address system will not be used for announcements.
http://www.theguardian.com/business/...istic-shoppers

Neat idea?

Clodfobble 04-26-2016 05:50 AM

Could be very helpful for people who need it. Although I predict it will be the elderly who take advantage of it the most.

Clodfobble 07-01-2016 04:40 PM

I'm worn out and trying to force myself to look at the positive things in life today, so excuse me while I gratuitously pat myself on the back for a moment. It's okay, see, because I've been instructed to.

Quote:

“A MUST READ for 2016! Whether or not you have an autistic child, brother, cousin, whatever… this IS a book you want to get your hands on.”
Quote:

“There are many unexpected and perfect small moments. This is a writer in command of her story and her prose, and I’d be happy to read her writing on any subject under the sun.”
Quote:

“The storytelling is amazing, and it’s well worth a read whether this is part of your experience or not.”
Quote:

“You need to understand that when I marvel at the skill with which ‘No Map to this Country’ engages the reader, draws him into the story, and maintains breathtaking suspense until the very end, all the while effortlessly educating that reader in complex medical discoveries and controversies, this is not the reaction of an easy mark. I am a harsh critic with high standards. If you log onto the back issues of the weekly where I once toiled as a reviewer and type in my name, the first thing to come up will be the letters to the editor written by readers offended by my unflattering evaluations… So when I say that this memoir by first-time author Jennifer Noonan is a dazzling accomplishment, you should understand that I am not blowing smoke.”
Now back to your regularly-scheduled, self-deprecating, unable-to-take-a-compliment Clodfobble.

xoxoxoBruce 07-01-2016 04:46 PM

It's nice to see critics that know what the fuck they're talking about. :thumb:

Griff 07-01-2016 05:22 PM

:D

fargon 07-01-2016 06:58 PM

Congratulations Clodfobble.

xoxoxoBruce 07-01-2016 07:10 PM

I forgot to mention it's in 3 more libraries.

Clodfobble 07-01-2016 07:13 PM

Dude! Thanks so much. :)

lumberjim 07-01-2016 09:48 PM

Clobble, you have always given me an intellectual boner. It's been more than 4 hours. I need medical assistance.

Clodfobble 07-01-2016 10:10 PM

I recently learned the word for that: sapiosexual. I like "intellectual boner" better though.

Griff 07-02-2016 07:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lumberjim (Post 963647)
Clobble, you have always given me an intellectual boner. It's been more than 4 hours. I need medical assistance.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clodfobble (Post 963652)
I recently learned the word for that: sapiosexual. I like "intellectual boner" better though.

Nice, I needed that word.

Gravdigr 07-02-2016 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clodfobble (Post 963633)
Now back to your regularly-scheduled, self-deprecating, unable-to-take-a-compliment Clodfobble.

I hear that chick is pretty awesome.