The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   What's making you happy today? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=14055)

Shawnee123 06-18-2009 02:56 PM

I was just thinking about you Bri. I stepped outside and it is oppressively humid. As I pondered your new central air I remembered my rental car has A/C (and working windows.) No sweating my ass off on the way home. Wooohooooooo

dar512 06-18-2009 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brianna (Post 575640)
As the whore said to the virgin, "IT'S IN!"

I'm not turning this baby off till there's frost on my windows.

:celebrat: :band:

Enjoy!

Jaydaan 06-18-2009 10:43 PM

I got glasses today, I only ordered them yesterday. I even got a 2 for 1 deal, so lenses with anti reflective, anti scratch and something else, one frame with the magnetic sunglass clip, and one reg pair for $289. so 2 prs AND a sunglass option! Cheapest deal in our town, for the quality of frames I picked. I can see things in the distance now! Now I have to get used to them LOL

Bullitt 06-19-2009 12:53 AM

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/p...8059-home-show

Shawnee123 06-19-2009 08:04 AM

When people say nice things, when people think you're pretty darn special, and don't make you feel badly about yourself. When people are honest and forthright, and don't play the games that always end badly. When people do not make you feel as though you are at fault for everything, but that you are the source of something good and important. When giving is more important than taking, making you want to give even more of yourself.

These are the things that make me happy.

Juniper 06-19-2009 08:53 AM

According to Ancestry.com - my latest obsession - I am related to:
Thomas More (supposedly he was my 14th great-grandfather)
Henry Thoreau
President Harry S Truman
Laura Ingalls Wilder
Jane Austen
Isaac Newton
F. Scott Fitzgerald
Lucille Ball
Hillary Clinton
and even Booker T. Washington, ROFLMAO

Sundae 06-23-2009 01:00 PM

I'm "up" today.
Phew, finally!

Went to a meeting at Oasis (my alcohol counsellors) then stayed for group therapy. It was a large, mixed group and it went well. On the back of that, I asked my doctor for Acamprosate, which she agreed would be helpful for the next two weeks, with Mum & dad away. In some people it decreases cravings for alcohol. Given that one of the side effects is insomnia, which I suffer from anyway, the doc signed me off some Zopiclone - the only thing that has really worked for me in th past. So no matter what happens next week, I will be able to sleep!

I'm going back to group next Tuesday. Those people spoke my language.
And this time tomorrow, the 'rents will be gone. Yes - I am conflicted about that, but right now Mum is in Super-Organiser Mode, and she's buzzing about so much I am viewing their departure with far less concern than previously :) Expect that to last about 12 hours!

I'm treating myself to a pizza tomorrow night.
Naughty, naughty and all that - but far better than a bottle of vodka. Over-eating (or treat-eating) can be rationalised into an overall healthy plan over the course of a week/ fortnight/ month. Drinking binges are bad news pure and simple, and can't be excused away. Also - one drunk leads to another in my life. It's so much harder to stop when you (I) have the fallout to deal with, which always requires more drink to blunt.

Going to the chemist tomorrow, because they have to order in the Acamprosate. And to collect my two anti-dpressants, my sleeping tablets and my GORD medication. I don't like having so many pills, but at least I feel protected by them at present. Then on into town. Not much, but things to do - it helps. And then pizza and a good night sleep :)

Queen of the Ryche 06-23-2009 03:02 PM

Bullitt: That story made me cry, in a good way.

Shawnee: You ARE a good kind special person,and I know you've made me feel good in here more than once.

Cherry: Wow! I am impressed! So good to hear you so upbeat, and making plans to take good care of yourself while they're gone. You have earned that pizza my dear!

limey 06-24-2009 05:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sundae Girl (Post 576798)
I'm "up" today.
Phew, finally!

Went to a meeting at Oasis (my alcohol counsellors) then stayed for group therapy. It was a large, mixed group and it went well. On the back of that, I asked my doctor for Acamprosate, which she agreed would be helpful for the next two weeks, with Mum & dad away. In some people it decreases cravings for alcohol. Given that one of the side effects is insomnia, which I suffer from anyway, the doc signed me off some Zopiclone - the only thing that has really worked for me in th past. So no matter what happens next week, I will be able to sleep!

I'm going back to group next Tuesday. Those people spoke my language.
And this time tomorrow, the 'rents will be gone. Yes - I am conflicted about that, but right now Mum is in Super-Organiser Mode, and she's buzzing about so much I am viewing their departure with far less concern than previously :) Expect that to last about 12 hours!

I'm treating myself to a pizza tomorrow night.
Naughty, naughty and all that - but far better than a bottle of vodka. Over-eating (or treat-eating) can be rationalised into an overall healthy plan over the course of a week/ fortnight/ month. Drinking binges are bad news pure and simple, and can't be excused away. Also - one drunk leads to another in my life. It's so much harder to stop when you (I) have the fallout to deal with, which always requires more drink to blunt.

Going to the chemist tomorrow, because they have to order in the Acamprosate. And to collect my two anti-dpressants, my sleeping tablets and my GORD medication. I don't like having so many pills, but at least I feel protected by them at present. Then on into town. Not much, but things to do - it helps. And then pizza and a good night sleep :)

So much good news, and common sense (but not dull with it)! If the 'rents are away does that give you a late pass for teh Cellar - will we see 100% attendance from SG for a fortnight? Huh?
Hugs to you, 'Girl!

Queen of the Ryche 06-25-2009 01:37 PM

FINALLY went to a therapist to deal with the festering skeletons in my closet. It was getting way too crowded in there. Felt good to let them out and breathe - now begins the long overdue process of asking them to leave.

DanaC 06-25-2009 02:00 PM

Got my final degree classification today *smiles*

On 23rd of July, when I graduate, I will be doing so with a 1st Class Honours degree. BA(Hons) History. I did it. *dances about, deliriously happy* I fucking did it! I got my 1st. Har!

monster 06-25-2009 02:22 PM

yay Dana! WTG

limey 06-25-2009 05:42 PM

Oh Dana! Well bloody done mate! Mah-vellous! Well done!

DanaC 06-25-2009 05:49 PM

Thankyou! Ok, I now feel proud of myself :P Now I feel like I did a Good Thing.

The tension of the last few days as the time for going in and checking the board of results drew near has been all but unbearable lol. Now I can relax and enjoy being a graduand and looking forward to becoming a graduate.

I'm over the moon. I couldn't be any happier, even if there were candyfloss clouds breaking overhead to shower me with smarties.

And just to put the icing on the cake: my best friend found out today his uni have awarded him a full fees and maintenance scholarship to do his PhD. He's also graduating this July with a 1st class BA(Hons) from a different uni.

It's all comin up roses.

Aliantha 06-25-2009 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanaC (Post 577484)
Got my final degree classification today *smiles*

On 23rd of July, when I graduate, I will be doing so with a 1st Class Honours degree. BA(Hons) History. I did it. *dances about, deliriously happy* I fucking did it! I got my 1st. Har!

I ask you, was there ever any doubt?

Not from where I'm sitting there wasn't. :)

Good work.

Aliantha 06-25-2009 05:53 PM

The thing that's making me happy today is knowing Max is not going to scream his head off during the night when I ignore his whimpering for cuddles.

Juniper 06-25-2009 06:30 PM

I just bought my son an electric guitar. It's what he wanted for his 11th birthday.

Went to the guitar shop and got a set -- this deal here:
http://www.squierguitars.com/product...tno=0301620025

http://www.squierguitars.com/product...1620025_md.jpg

He's at a Scout meeting now, but I got it out and set it up for him. Heh heh. Such a burden, you know, testing it out to make sure it works OK. ;)

I love these things. Set it right, and anyone can sound like they know what they're doing. Crimson & Clover, anyone?

Aliantha 06-25-2009 07:01 PM

I think my boys would wet themselves if i got them an electric guitar. lol

Fortunately I know I wouldn't have the patience to put up with the noise if I got one for them, plus it might bother the little one just at the moment.

Maybe when we build in the shed...:rolleyes:

Juniper 06-25-2009 08:53 PM

The good thing about it is, you can plug earphones into the amp. So, no noise!

Aliantha 06-25-2009 08:55 PM

Ahhh...very cool!

Juniper 06-26-2009 11:19 PM

I'm feeling very happy and content tonight.

My 13 year old daughter was away at camp all week. I picked her up this evening, tanned a lovely golden shade that complemented her white-blonde corn-tassel hair, and in a rare good mood. :)

From the campground, I phoned in a pizza order at LaRosa's, my absolute favorite. We don't have one in our hometown, so if I want it I have to drive about 1/2 hour to pick it up. This was on the way back from the camp. I got two larges, which is about twice what we eat for dinner, so there's leftovers. Yeah, I did that on purpose. :)

Today is also our wedding anniversary. So when I got home with the kids, hubby had given me roses, a box of Russell Stovers, and a nice card. (I gave him his gift a few days ago, finding a sitter for our son so we could have some alone time, heheh.)

Then after my sweaty-from-work hubby and sweaty-from-camp daughter showered, we went to a free community concert about 1/2 hour drive away. We went to see these guys - "cajun rock" -- they've been around town a long time. In fact, I saw them play a long time ago, if not the very first time they played out, close to it. That was more than 20 years ago! It was before I met hubby, so I'm guessing they started out in 1988. Wow! We had a lot of fun.

And my son, who just started playing guitar and will be playing saxophone next year in his school band, and my daughter who plays clarinet in the band, got to see all three instruments being used to make some really cool music. I hope they find it inspiring!

Yeah, life is very, very good. And although summer camp is good for them, I'm so glad to have my family all back together again.

Shawnee123 06-27-2009 06:43 AM

Very nice, Juni. :)

I've heard of LaRosas, but never had it. Do you ever eat Marions? We always stop there when my mom and nieces and I go to a show at Victoria or Schuster.

glatt 06-27-2009 12:03 PM

I'm sitting on the couch with the laptop, and my son is vacuuming the living room floor, while my daughter vacuums her room. I didn't even have to force them to do it, just a suggestion.

monster 06-27-2009 12:11 PM

Our team won the swim meet! the first in several years! We had maybe 40 kids vs their140. And we still won!

glatt 06-27-2009 12:17 PM

good job, coach!

DanaC 06-27-2009 12:17 PM

Way to go supercoach! *smiles*

monster 06-27-2009 12:26 PM

oh I'm not the coach of this team. but thanks :) Hector got 1st in the Breaststroke and 2nd in the Freestyle, Hebe got 1st in the Free and Second in the Breast, and Thor was 4th (out of 16 - a real 4th) in the breaststroke (he didn't swim the free).

Juniper 06-27-2009 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shawnee123 (Post 578052)
Very nice, Juni. :)

I've heard of LaRosas, but never had it. Do you ever eat Marions? We always stop there when my mom and nieces and I go to a show at Victoria or Schuster.

We do not like Marions. We've eaten there twice and were very much not impressed. They get a lot of hype around here for being so good, but I don't see it.

LaRosa's is awesome. They've got this wonderful sweet sauce - we can buy it in jars at the grocery, I don't know how far away they sell it. I heard the secret ingredient is carrots, but that might be an urban legend. :) If you ever make it as far south as Centerville, or in Cincinnati, you've gotta try LaRosa's.

BigV 06-27-2009 01:34 PM

SonofV and I are going camping this weekend. It's family camp and there will be sibs and moms and inlaws and outlaws. It's car camping, so nothing too adventurous. The highlight will be the Court of Honor for the troop where SonofV will receive his First Class rank advancement award.

In addition, there will be swimming and cross country bocce on the parade ground. Those boys huck that jack so far, it's about a par three just to get within measuring distance.

Shawnee123 06-27-2009 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Juniper (Post 578153)
We do not like Marions. We've eaten there twice and were very much not impressed. They get a lot of hype around here for being so good, but I don't see it.

LaRosa's is awesome. They've got this wonderful sweet sauce - we can buy it in jars at the grocery, I don't know how far away they sell it. I heard the secret ingredient is carrots, but that might be an urban legend. :) If you ever make it as far south as Centerville, or in Cincinnati, you've gotta try LaRosa's.

Yeah, there's really nothing to Marions...which is good for little girls who just like a plain old pizza without a lot of pizzazz. For that style, I like the flavor.

I will have to try to get to C-ville sometime and try LaRosa's.

If you're ever in Newport (which, unless you're going to Lake Loramie or something there would be no reason to be) go to the Keyhole for pizza. Tell Amy I sent ya! :)

Clodfobble 06-27-2009 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glatt
I'm sitting on the couch with the laptop, and my son is vacuuming the living room floor, while my daughter vacuums her room. I didn't even have to force them to do it, just a suggestion.

You have two vacuum cleaners?

ZenGum 06-27-2009 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glatt (Post 578145)

Glatt, they must have done something very bad. Probably, something important and expensive in your house is broken. Be suspicious.

Juniper 06-27-2009 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shawnee123 (Post 578173)

If you're ever in Newport (which, unless you're going to Lake Loramie or something there would be no reason to be) go to the Keyhole for pizza. Tell Amy I sent ya! :)

Newport KY? The Aquarium! It's on our to-do list this summer.

There are LaRosa's (LaRosases? Larosi? heehee) on Alex-Bell in Centerville, Deerfield Rd. in Lebanon, and in Middletown, I think on Rt. 123. Always happy to help. ;)

DanaC 06-29-2009 07:10 AM

Ohmigod ohmigod ohmigod. Remember I said one of my tutors hinted I should expect some more good news and mentioned the word 'prizes'?

I got an email today from my 3rd year dissertation/personal tutor. She's been trying to get hold of me by phone, and I've been trying to ring her, buit we keep missing each other. She'd said she wanted to talk to me. So....in this email, she says she really wanted to talk to me about the prizes I have won...

Turns out, I have won the Patorel Prize for best original research dissertation (very prestigious for a humanities student) and the Accenture prize for best overall performance. Ohmigod Ohmigod. Apparently they didnt impose the 5% penalty on my dissertation :) :) :)

ZenGum 06-29-2009 07:32 AM

:HIGH FIVE:

You bloody ripper Dana. :jig:

DanaC 06-29-2009 07:34 AM

*Cheshire cat grin* Thankyou!

God I am just floating around the house now. Don't know what to do with m'self lol. I have work to do and can't concentrate. Just keep thinking 'Ohmigod!' :P

classicman 06-29-2009 08:02 AM

Way to go - Nice that all your hard work is finally being recognized - Congrats!

Clodfobble 06-29-2009 08:37 AM

Congratulations!

Chocolatl 06-29-2009 08:55 AM

Congrats, Dana! That's wonderful!

---

I got back last night after a four day visit to my mom's. I think she's been fighting depression on and off for quite some time, now, and she had really let her house get into a pretty terrible state. I paid a surprise visit with a bucket of cleaning supplies, two boxes of trash bags, and some rubber gloves. While we didn't accomplish everything I wanted to get done, we made a lot of good progress. Carted a carload of stuff off to Goodwill, sorted through a 6 inch pile of year that has covered her dining table for about three years, and remodeled my brother's bathroom. I made Mom laugh and helped her get a kick start in getting her life back in order. So I'm happy today because I think I've set my mom moving on a good path.

Trilby 06-29-2009 10:48 AM

wonderful news, Dana! :celebrat:

limey 06-29-2009 01:03 PM

Well done, Dana!
Well done, Choco!

monster 06-29-2009 11:06 PM

bloody overachiever, Dana.......

Sundae 06-30-2009 05:32 AM

Dana, you're like staring at the sun sometimes.
Shining, and with a remaining after-image.
I bask in your reflected glory.

Choc - what a wonderful thing to do.
It's actually something that Dani did for me, before she was a nationally renowned scholar.
It made a huge difference and gave me emotional strength.
People's actions are more more accessible than their emotions when you feel you've hit rock bottom and they can really touch you.

I'm happy because I got a birthday card from a Dwellar today.
I'm NOT opening it until my actual birthday because I know they'll be in short supply this year (Mum will give me hers and Grandad's at lunch)
Something to look forward to tomorrow morning anyway :celebrat:

TheMercenary 06-30-2009 09:21 PM

Al Franken Won! Yea!

Shawnee123 06-30-2009 10:41 PM

I got my new car today. :blush:

classicman 06-30-2009 11:22 PM

If there aren't pics, it didn't happen

Congrats!

lumberjim 07-01-2009 12:54 AM

1 Attachment(s)
this:

DanaC 07-01-2009 04:48 AM

Choco that's brilliant. Bet your mum feels so much lighter for it.

My mum did a similar thing with me, after I finished my exams. Got back and she'd tidied up and hoovered, but most importantly: she'd cut Pilau's fur off. It had been a source of tremendous guilt and unhappiness for me. He was so tangled and uncomfortable and the undercoat was like a thick rug. Couldn't see through it to the skin to check for ticks and so on. Knew I had to take him to the vet for a lump on his ear and his arthritis kicking in in his back legs....too ashamed to take him until I'd cut back some of the fur...but such a major job and I wasn;t up to it. When I got back from my final exam and he was skipping about looking like a puppy with his short fuzzy fur....wow, I was so happy. Such a relief.

Sundae, honey, I only just saw this :) Was out most of yesterday (picking up Dad's ashes - how typical of our family that we'd do this several months late lol) That's a very lovely thing to say :)

I've already posted in the Birthdaythread....but rather typically, my good intentions of sending cards have floundered on my utter lack of organisation:P So accept this birthday wish instead:

For this year
I hope you have, more laughs,
and fewer tears
greater triumphs
and lesser fears;

that the road you've set yourself upon
sees the culmination of things begun
opens doors you didn't know were there,
brings at least five more changes
to the colour of your hair...

...and new and smashing boots galore
to go with a new wardrobe you adore
and lots of cellar pics to post
here for your mates
who'll raise a toast
to the smashing, awesome, and classy bird
...and videos so your voice is heard

May the Diz-cat bring prizes
and may you lose two more sizes
and most of all honey,
though I wish you more money
I call for the happy and cheer you deserve.

Happy Birthday Cherry. If you triumph this year as you have the last there will be no stopping you. *hugs*

Trilby 07-01-2009 06:57 AM

both my boys are here! :)

YAY!

glatt 07-01-2009 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shawnee123 (Post 578870)
I got my new car today. :blush:

That's awesome! I missed where you said what you were getting. What did you get?

Shawnee123 07-01-2009 08:10 AM

A Saturn Astra. Silver. It's so pretty: sporty, quick, luxury in a small car. I've never had a brand new car before. I'm in love. :)

Thanks for asking. This is a huge deal for me.

glatt 07-01-2009 08:13 AM

You seriously need to get someone to take a picture of you in it, behind the wheel, to post here.

The reviews for it sounded really good. I think you bought a good car.
:thumb:

Shawnee123 07-01-2009 08:16 AM

I think so too. The reason they didn't sell so well over here (though the biggest selling car in Europe, they say) is because they didn't market it well, and I think people were intimidated by the controls. I'm still learning how to use, heck, the radio!

But I really like it. I think it's perfect for me, and will last a long time.

I took some pics of it last night but it was dark and they didn't come out well. I'll get a pic w/ me to post.

Frenger 07-01-2009 11:38 AM

Today I took my Baccalauréat exam, and now that that's over with I can finally relax for the first time in over a month. :beer:

monster 07-01-2009 11:40 AM

Congratulations

Queen of the Ryche 07-01-2009 12:03 PM

Woo hoo Shawnee! Good for you!!!

DanaC 07-01-2009 02:21 PM

Good for you Shawnee!

and big congrats to Frenger! Enjoy that relaxation to the max, you've earned it :)

Shawnee123 07-01-2009 02:53 PM

Thanks youse guys.

WTG Frenger.

dar512 07-01-2009 03:42 PM

Virtual Friday for me.

Sundae 07-01-2009 04:06 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Dani that was lovely - I'm sure I didn't deserve that!
And Shaawnee - a new one - wow. You should be proud of yourself chica. Now, when are you taking it dogging ;)

I had a lovely day today.
Woke up at 05.30 - not so good. But it feels different on your birthday anyway.
Got ready slowly and went into town for a McD's. That stops this Monday (ie Monday will be the last one!) Back on hard routine after that - I intend to have new pics for you by the August Bank Holiday.

Slight angry at the buses (waited 30 mins for a bus that left from the wrong bay according to the screens) but calmed, calmer calm. Hey, It's my birthday, it's all cool.
Lovely bus ride to Berko (I filmed the trip through Tring, will put in the Aylesbury thread)

Slight wobble re the place we chose to eat - I've taken pics of the menu and I think again the Aylesbury thread is most appropriate.
They didn't have the ingredients for a Ploughmans. Or any baguettes. Mum got really cross so we went elsewhere.

Went to ASK - nice enough place.
Decent quality food, excellent company, good birthday treat had by all.

Only real sore spot of the day - I was wearing my killer cork heels. Lady in front of me stopped abruptly and I tried to sidestep her and went over on my weak ankle - I've done that in trainers and flip-flops too, just the fall is further from the platforms. Lovely lady, apologised profusely and picked me up. "Oh sorry, I'm so sorry, are you okay?" Mum responds on my behalf, "No, it's just the shoes, she can't walk in them."

Let it go, let it go.
Have a graze on my knee like a nine year old though.

ETA - as well as the meal they bought me a guide to Amsterdam with a fold-out map AND a kaftan to replace the tattered old one I wear as a cover-all/ dressing gown. They really thought about things I would appreciate and I love them for it and told them so.

Then back to the house they're sitting (shhhhhhh! very naughty!) and home for about 18.00.
18.30, my sister picks me up and we watch my nephew in his school play. I am almost never acknowldged in this way so it was very special to me.

Home to the Cellar and lovely words.

Phew!
And I have pottery tomorrow - yay!