The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Quality Images and Videos (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Rims (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=24228)

xoxoxoBruce 09-05-2020 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Griff (Post 1057504)
I saw a 1959 Chevy Apache pickup in the wild yesterday sorry no pic but damn that was sharp... pretty racist in 2020 but sharp. lol

I don't get it, why is that racist. To name that truck model after a tribe is not an insult it's meant as an honor.
Apache is a blanket term for a bunch of tribes and probably not what they referred to themselves as anyway.
Cultural appropriation? Bullshit, the history of mankind is copy what you like, discard what you don't.
If everyone in your family or neighborhood goes for a swim before breakfast, I'm not allowed to do that too?
If I hear a word in another language/dialect which better describes something than the word I have for it, I'm not allowed to use that word?
Is this a game of look what offends me that you didn't think of, neener neener.
Racism is a real problem and I hate seeing it diluted by and ridiculed because of these silly claims.
Would the Redskins be offensive if they weren't losers? :haha:

Undertoad 09-05-2020 08:03 PM

by participating in the system you are racist because you benefited from the systemic oppression

if you say you aren't racist that makes you, obviously, racist since you are unaware of your advantage

by fighting this form of anti-racism you are literally hitler

...is what they believe

xoxoxoBruce 09-05-2020 08:31 PM

Yeah yeah, if you're not part of the solution you're part of the problem.
I don't buy that either. :headshake

sexobon 09-05-2020 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Griff (Post 1057504)
I saw a 1959 Chevy Apache pickup in the wild yesterday ...

I hope it had a radio.

Griff 09-06-2020 06:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Undertoad (Post 1057539)
by participating in the system you are racist because you benefited from the systemic oppression

if you say you aren't racist that makes you, obviously, racist since you are unaware of your advantage

by fighting this form of anti-racism you are literally hitler

...is what they believe

This is what you believe people believe.

Griff 09-06-2020 06:33 AM

If they is me, I don't think it's a kindness to use another groups identity to move your product unless they have involvement in the thing. Nobody thought about that in 1959 but people do think about that in 2020 and no you're not being oppressed.

Undertoad 09-06-2020 07:09 AM

Quote:

This is what you believe people believe.
This is the narrative of a number one best-selling book

Griff 09-06-2020 10:20 AM

A book which I've never heard of.

Griff 09-06-2020 10:27 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Nonetheless a beautiful machine.

Undertoad 09-06-2020 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Griff (Post 1057569)
A book which I've never heard of.

you will, it's currently #1 on the Times paperback nonfiction list

Griff 09-06-2020 12:34 PM

I see these kinds of books as a poor mirror of reality. Thoughts about race will ebb and flow. My throw away impression will or will not be part of the long game. I don't see the point of torturing ourselves over the evolution of ideas. That sort of fuckery largely stays on the campus where they think they lead, while a middle way is generally sought by society and industry. The Golden Rule will win out as we figure out how we'd like to be treated. My instinct is that over-intellectualizing the process gives cover to haters of all stripes. /too much drift?

xoxoxoBruce 09-06-2020 12:53 PM

Quote:

White Fragility: Why It's So Hard for White People to Talk About Racism
Because nobody talks, they either want to attack with all sorts of off the wall generalizations or rediculous personal accusations. On the other side, sick of defending themselves from the ridiculous bullshit charges of being the problem.

Since when does a book on the NYT best seller list represent more than the authors opinion, and maybe half the people who read it.

Quote:

In a 2019 nationwide survey, 86% of white evangelical Protestants and 70% of both white mainline Protestants and white Catholics said that the “Confederate flag is more a symbol of Southern pride than of racism”.

Nearly 66% of white Christians over all said that killings of African-American men by the police are isolated incidents rather than part of a broader pattern of mistreatment.

Over 60% white Christians disagreed with the statement that “generations of slavery and discrimination have created conditions that make it difficult for blacks to work their way out of the lower class.”
Don't equate ignorance with evil intent.

sexobon 09-06-2020 01:21 PM

The real question is: Is it ethical to carry on a discussion about racism, in the "Rims" thread, behind tw's back where he might not notice the opportunity to jump in and blame Trump for all of the world's ills? See, this is the kind of treachery that develops when you don't have new taglines.

xoxoxoBruce 09-06-2020 01:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Terrorist sized wagon...

Griff 09-06-2020 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sexobon (Post 1057586)
The real question is: Is it ethical to carry on a discussion about racism, in the "Rims" thread, behind tw's back where he might not notice the opportunity to jump in and blame Trump for all of the world's ills? See, this is the kind of treachery that develops when you don't have new taglines.

Shhhhh... the walls have ears.

You could get a helluva load of bin Ladens in that thing.