The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   What's making you happy today? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=14055)

glatt 01-14-2009 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pie (Post 522279)
I was not looking forward to braving D.C. traffic this week.
Whew.

No kidding. The craziness has already begun. People everywhere.

kerosene 01-14-2009 08:06 PM

Breakfast for dinner, baybay!

Pie 01-14-2009 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glatt (Post 522280)
People everywhere.

Quote:

Originally Posted by former manager
This would be a great country, if it weren't for the people.

Juniper 01-14-2009 11:35 PM

Get ready for a big brag. I gotta do it! I stopped in to see one of my profs from last quarter and pick up my exam and my research paper. I know most students wouldn't bother, because it's the final grade that counts and we already know that. But I am the curious type. Plus I was hoping she'd commented on the paper. She did, and said she'd written more on mine and a couple others than on most of them because she knew who would come and get them. :)

Well, the exam grade was 94 and the paper was 96. She told me that I had real talent, a poetic and expressive writing style and lots of other really nice things. She encouraged me to fix up a few minor things in the essay and submit it to the school's literary publication. It was just so gratifying to hear this! Really made my day, especially as I am struggling with another paper right now.

This is a new experience for me, having relationships with profs that go beyond one semester. When I went to college last time, it seemed that once the finals ended they would hardly acknowledge your presence should they share an elevator ride. I guess it's a matter of gaining focus in your major and developing a mentor relationship.

I stopped in to see this one prof after taking an online class from her spring quarter--just told her I wanted to meet her F2F, you know--and she turned out to be a warm, wonderful lady. I already knew she would be, because we'd shared a few personal e-mails during the course. I saw her in the hall last quarter and she said she'd like to meet me for coffee one day. I want to also, because I want to hear about her trip to Italy last month!

I guess that's one of the perks of being an older student - the teachers, despite their professional role, are also kind of my peers, considering that if I met them socially we'd be on even footing. Actually I do have a few friends who are college profs elsewhere.

But you have to earn it. I mean, they probably cringe when older students come in and just automatically assume a certain familiarity. Hell, it makes ME cringe when I see it. Seems there's always one in every class (not me!) who thinks they've "outgrown" proper classroom protocol and dominates the class discussion. At least I hope I don't come off that way. I do often have a lot to say. ;)

Damn, I love college. I'm often stressed-out, tired and discouraged, but when it's good, it's really, really good!

monster 01-14-2009 11:37 PM

I managed not to kill my youngest...

DanaC 01-15-2009 02:40 AM

*Smiles* Juinper that totally rocks! I hope you're proud of youself lady:)

@ monster: good, good, that's good. Any particular reason why this is an issue today?

DucksNuts 01-15-2009 03:49 AM

I quit my job...on the spot today :D

DanaC 01-15-2009 05:05 AM

I've just noticed how badly I mangled Jun's name on the last post...typo citeh!

Bloody hell Ducks. That's drastic fantastic, what happened?

classicman 01-15-2009 07:26 AM

Ducks - The car job? Whats up with that?

Juniper 01-15-2009 07:34 AM

Wow, Ducks!

Cicero 01-15-2009 01:38 PM

I am happy that wolf is making more appearances here lately. It's just good.

classicman 01-15-2009 01:46 PM

I completely agree, Cic. Her witty and insightful posts have been missed.

DucksNuts 01-15-2009 04:41 PM

My boss finally pushed my last button, and I decided that I needed to be somewhere that had some respect for me and the job that I do.

He's now bad mouthing me to anyone that will listen and saying he was going to sack me anyways.

He just needs to stamp his foot when he is talking and he will be acting exactly like the child he is.

Im now writing a resume for the first time in 10 years, but I have another couple of irons in the fire that I hope turn into something.

Aliantha 01-15-2009 04:44 PM

Good for you Ducks. I bet you'll be glad you made the decision you did...and possibly even wish you'd done it sooner. :)

Good luck with the job hunting.

How's the finance brokerage idea coming along?

monster 01-15-2009 04:45 PM

cough :D

Dana, he flushed someone's expensive swim suit and then was obnoxious about it.